bondo05

The endless search for HG foundation...

Hi...I know this question has been asked many, many times, but still have not found my HG...or close to it for foundation. Here is a little about me...35, fine lines, sensitive, breakout prone. Uneven skintone with fine lines. Combo skin. I clarisonic twice daily with gentle cleanser, retinol every other night, skinmedica spf moisturizer daily. I think that about covers it. Now, onto my issue. I feel like I have tried SO many foundations/powders and still can't find the right one for me. I like medium coverage...enough to even out skintone, cover blotchiness. I do have fine lines around the eyes and mouth and a deep crease between the brows. Seems what I have tried is either too luminizing or too matte or just blah. What I have been using and actually really liked is Jane Iredale Pure Pressed base with the tinted moisturizer. Problem, made my under eye area look horrific. Crepey, more wrinkly than it really is. Here is a list of foundations I've used and the problem I have with them. Maybe I'm just asking too much of a foundation... Urban Decay Naked-liked, but dried my skin out, Nars Sheer Glow-loved the consistency and feel, but not enough coverage, Laura Mercier Silk Creme-Made my face feel dry and look blah, tried with fingers, brush, beatuy blender using a little or even less than a little, didn't work for me, MUFE HD-just didn't impress me, pretty blah, Shisedio Pore Refining-actually made my pores look worse! , Shisedio Lifting-I actually love the coverage of this and consistency, but too luminous? Still on the fence, and the new Shisedio...Horrible!!! Made my skin glow in a bad bad way...accentuated every single fine line and pore on my face. it was awful. Seems like a lot of foundations find pores I didn't even know I had. Without foundation, you can't see my pores, at all. Add foundation and there are little pin dots to each side of my nose...with OR without primer!! Also, tried several BB creams...hate. All have been too thick and yellow.I'm thinking maybe a powder foundation...or a nice TM with finishing powder? ughhh! Anyone with combo, sensitive, fine lined skin have suggestions??

Spoiler

fer1

Re: The endless search for HG foundation...

(0) Hearts

My ultimate favorite and go to foundation is Dior Airflash. Nothing compares! I have combination acne prone skin and this is the best! 

jennypenny1995

Exact skin here!!  1) Ditch the Clarisonic.  If you're using a retinol, you're now over-exfoliating.  2) Use Clinique's Line Smoothing Concealer.  That's what I use, and it's truly the ONLY one I've found that hides darkness while not settling into those nice, little lines we've earned in our 30s.  3) Try staying with a powder foundation.  Lancome's Dual Finish is my Holy Grail because it controls shine without caking or settling into laugh lines.  I use a dry BeautyBlender to apply it and LOVE it.  Plus, you'll save moo-lah because you won't have to buy a powder anymore! 

bondo05

(0) Hearts

I like the idea of BB and powder...I will see about getting a Dr. Jart sample. Is it super thick? The other BB's i've tried seem to be like the consistency of MUD!  Unfortunately, both LM and the Tarte mineral foundations mentioned have bismuth in them. Have any of you tried the Marc Jacobs Gel foundation? Looks interesting. I did score some Guerlain foundation, powder, etc this week at Modnique, super excited to try those out.

I have tried Clinque...I love the Almost Powder foundation, but as usual, accentuates fine lines. I used SuperBalance in my teens..and I would like to try the Perfectly Real...I read the description and some reviews and it sounds like something I would like. Question...Any time I have used a primer (various brands) it doesn't seem to do anything for me. Maybe even make foundation look worse and skin greasy by mid day, which is unusual for me. What I wear daily under fdtn is Clinique Turnaround Con and Skin Medica TNS moisturizer, which I will be switching from soon...Synthetic sunscreen and for $85 doesn't seem that special! Anyway, do I really "need" a primer?

waterbaby1981

(0) Hearts

If you haven't tried it, maybe Clinique's Perfectly Real or Superbalanced foundations?  Both come in powder or liquid formulations and feel light on the skin while providing moderate coverage.   I have very fair, sensitive skin (Alabaster in Superbalanced and Shade 01 in Perfectly Real) and while I wear Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer most of the time, I've never had any complaints when wearing these two.  The entire Clinique line is fragrance free as well, so that shouldn't irritate skin either.

As for the eye area, you might want to try using a richer eye cream than you're currently using.  I use Clinique's Repairwear Laser Focus for Eyes, but have also tried Algenist Eye Renewal Balm and Origins Plantscription for Eyes.  Any of those eye creams I would highly recommend, since I have dry skin and have had the eye area crepey skin look before too.  One tip I have read is to mix the concealer with eye cream and then apply, so it "melts" into the skin.

Hope this helps.

magrat22

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Hey,  so I've been on the same quest.  Am a bit older than you (40) but similar issues.  I have rosacea so need a foundation that can cover the redness and bumps that you get with the condition.  I've never had a lot of luck with liquid foundations.  They either are too yellow on me or contain something I'm allergic too.  My Colour IQ: is 1Y03 to give you an idea on how pale my skin is. For the longest time I used Laura Merciers (sp?) mineral powder, because it's fantastic and makes your skin look airbrushed.  I only stopped as my skin tone seemed to change which I hit 40 and now it looks too yellow on me. Anyway recently I tested Korres Mineral powder and Tarte's Amazonian Clay foundation powder.  I love the Korres as the lightest shade is perfect for my skin but it's messy which drives me crazy in the morning when I'm in a rush.  With the Tarte powder the container it comes in has a little mesh topper that stops the powder from going everywhere and the colour while a little peachier then I'd like actually tones down my redness and evens out my skin tone...plus it's good for you skin so it actually improves with wearing.  I got the airbuki brush with it and would recommend getting it, it's so soft I don't think I'll ever use another brush on my face again.  I do use a BB cream under the powder, I use it like a primer and it makes sure that my makeup is then nearly full coverage.  The BB cream I use is Dr. Jart's Premium as I got the set of four BB creams and this was my favourite.  It helps with lightning discolourations on the skin and also has a tone of antioxidants so protects it during the day.  I think the BB cream and the mineral powder combination is a kind as you can be to skin whilst making yourself look good.  

TLDR; DR. Jart BB Premium Cream and Korres Mineral Powder or Amazonian Clay Foundation Powder.

bondo05

ugh, story of my HG fdtn search. I checked out the ingredient list on the Hourglass and it has synthetic sunscreen, which of course, I'm allergic to. I'm also allergic to bismuth, which is why I ended up with JI. Used BE for years and couldn't figure out why I was having awful cystic acne and why my face felt like it had fire ants all over when I got hot. I never thought of the BE since it was supposed to be "good for my skin". Sigh. on to Dior ingredient list. :smileywink: Seriously, my bathroom is a product junkie's Mecca. 

bondo05

(0) Hearts

I've had my eye on the Hourglass. I have avoided it for fear of that dry ick look, which I got with the UD Naked. I may go for a sample. And I've heard great things about the Lorac and Stila foundations, ESP for sensitive skin. Added to the never ending list. Thanks for the suggestions ladies! 

mafan

(0) Hearts

I loved the Hourglass sample I had. My skin looked great, nice coverage for me, and what I love best --it felt like I was wearing nothing. I'm 6 weeks away from 50 and have decent skin but some lines, and I didn't feel like it settled into things at all. 

I tried Estée Lauder Dual Wear foundation yesterday and I felt like that did show lines and it felt heavy. 

I think the Hourglass was the first foundation I've tried that felt like something I could wear every day. (I'm waiting for my skin to be completely winter color to try my lighter samples and maybe buy a second foundation this year. For me that is a huge vote for it.)

beautylovingirl

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I love Dior's Forever Flawless Foundation!:heart:

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

Have you tried Hourglass Immaculate? It's a liquid to powder, so you don't have to set it. I get medium coverage out of it when I use my fingers. It set's quickly, so you have to work fast applying it in small sections. 

Don't get the Hourglass TM, it's uber illuminating, not disco-ballish, but still shiny. 

oklady2013

(0) Hearts

Hi Bondo05,  I feel your pain. I've been on the hunt for many years. The best ones I've come up with for skin much like yours but older & very fair are,  LORAC Natural Performance Foundation & Graftobian  HD Glamour Cream. Those 2 match me best color & coverage wise. I can some times get away with Bare Minerals  Original in fair or fairly light. The other that I like is the Benefit Hello Flawless Cream to Powder in the compact. The BM/BE & Benefit are much lighter coverage so depending on the day they aren't what I need. I do notice the tiniest bit of transfer with the Graftobian if I forget to do a setting powder. I've heard great things about MAC, IT Cosmetics & Stila but haven't tried them. I'm the world's toughest color match.  If you live near a Sephora you might try swatching a couple for color & feel & get samples of a couple you like to try.  If you search for Graftobian there are online color charts. Good luck in your search. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • fer1
    • waterbaby1981
    • jennypenny1995
    • mafan
    • beautylovingirl