The Glasses Thread!

malday

The Glasses Thread!

[ Edited ]

So I know a lot of you ladies wear glasses and I just thought maybe we could share our framed faces and pass along tips for wearing makeup with wearing glasses!

I'll go first, I had to really dig through my phone for some pictures of me wearing my frames but here are a couple!

*Note: I am incapable of taking a "serious" picture while wearing glasses :smileytongue:

glasses1.JPG

glasses2.JPG

My makeup tip is to wear a bright lipstick to draw attention away from my giant glasses haha. Not a very good tip, but this thread is to discover new ones!

Edit: I actually have two pairs of glasses but these ones need prescription lenses still

image.jpg

Londonlover101

Re: The Glasses Thread!

*proof that I have serious issues*picture278.jpg this is what Im feeling when I listen to bulletproof love from pierce the veil <3

quotidianus

Love that song. If you like La Roux... are you familiar with Goldfrapp?  Also, Ladytron, and Peaches (I'm going to be a terrible influence here ... 'Boys Wanna be Her' and 'I Feel Cream' are good ones to start with) who is much harder/edgier, but still so much fun to listen.  Now that I can start running again, all of these folk are on my playlist.

I remember the stuff I was listening to at your age ... and the terrible (fashion) things it made me do.  So sad, such regret.

Londonlover101

@jasmine you look beautiful! I love the idea of keeping it neutral when wearing them it really lets the frames stand out :smileyhappy:

jasminee

(0) Hearts

Thanks!

jasminee

[ Edited ]

I am also incapable of taking a serious picture while wearing glasses!

Anyways, I usually don't like to wear a lot of makeup when I'm wearing glasses because I don't want there to be a whole lot going on... My glasses are pretty over powering. 

I don't have many tips, but in my picture I'm only wearing foundation. With glasses I sometimes like to wear mascara and a nude lip! Excuse my silly face and untamed brows!

ppic.jpg

jozkid

I really like those frames!

jasminee

(0) Hearts

Thank you!

DiVWA

Here's a picture of the type of wall-mounted lighted swivel makeup mirror that I use. It has two sides, one of which has 5x magnification. Critical to putting on makeup. I can't recommend it enough to those ladies who have a hard time seeing their eyes and faces w/o eyeglasses on. I use the magnifying side to apply my makeup.

It's on the wall perpendicular to my vanity/sink area. It comes in different finishes--bronze, chrome, etc.

mirror.jpg

michmo

[ Edited ]

I have glasses and have to wear them a fair bit of the time.  I had noticed recently that I wasn't seeing as well whenever I went without them so I made a trip to the eye doctor, got a new rx, and picked out new frames.  So I now have two different pairs of frames to suit my moods, but I have to admit, I just don't feel confident in my glasses.  I hate that I feel that way and am working on changing that.  I've been trying to wear them more so that hopefully I will start to like them.  It's funny because I really like glasses on others, but for myself, I just lack the confidence.  

I don't really have any tips to share, but I have noticed that my glasses look best if I don't go too heavy on dark shadow colors.  But other than that I am at least glad for this post so that I can relate to all of you.  Here is a quick photo I took with my computer.

Photo on 2014-03-04 at 16.06.jpg

Photo on 2014-03-04 at 15.50.jpg

lecia1167

You look so lovely in your glasses! Trust me! I actually play more with my eye makeup when I wear my glasses. I usually wear more and really pile on the mascara.

dianabt

Aww I love the frames and styles you ladies all have! I actually have very poor eyesight and wear contacts because my glasses would be entirely too thick and ridiculous on me.  Besides, I'm a mascara fanatic and can't wear glasses when I have mascara on haha

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
BrennaBombshell

I can get away with mascara and glasses if I curl my lashes well beforehand, but that's why I can't wear falsies. *cries hysterically because she's doomed to a life devoid of fabulous lashes*

michmo

I usually don't curl my lashes, but I've noticed with my new glasses once I put mascara on they are always hitting the lens.  

BrennaBombshell

Curlers make a huge difference for me. 

I know some people do them once at the base and once towards the end of the lashes, which for me, causes all kinds of problems with my glasses. I just do it once at the base for 30 seconds or so, and it makes them stand up nicely and they won't hit my glasses. Plus it gives a wide-eyed look, which can be doubly helpful if you wear glasses. Makes your eyes look a bit larger, since glasses can make them look beady.

mberteig

I apply makeup without my glasses on, by holding a magnifying mirror with one hand very close to my face so I can see what I am going (I am nearsighted).  That only leaves one free hand to apply makeup with.

My prescription makes my eyes (through the glasses) look smaller than they really are, so I ply them up.  I love bright colored eye shadow, but I also love neutrals, lots of shimmer or glitter, and long dark full lashes with well-defined brows.

jozkid

The only mirror that magnifies enough for me to see without my glasses is a small 10X mirror that's only about 3-4 inches in diameter. So I have to do my makeup one feature at a time: one eye, other eye, eyebrow, second eyebrow, lips, ... you get the idea. Then I have a larger mirror that's 5X so I can see my whole face (though not clearly) to make sure I don't have total Franken-makeup. Obviously I need to buy a bigger 10X mirror so I can remedy this. It takes forever for me to put my makeup on. :smileysad:

DiVWA

[ Edited ]

Oh that does sound like you need a third pair of hands! I just did an internet search and found that there are some 10x lighted wall-mounted magnifying mirrors. Lamps Plus has one that is 12" diameter and has extending arm like mine, but that brand (Zadro) is poor quality per Amazon reviewers. Brookstone makes one that only comes in brushed nickel but seems to have good reviews, but allso some not good. Hit or miss. :smileysad:

jozkid

(0) Hearts

Oh trust me, I've looked at a bunch. I think the one at Brookstone was supposed to be great — until you had to change the bulb. You couldn't.

The search continues... and I still put my face on in pieces. :smileyhappy:

DiVWA

Mberteig, if you have the wall space, maybe think about putting a pull-out light-up two-sided mirror on it (with one side being magnified). I got mine about 3 years ago after using one in a hotel. Mine lights up around the sides (internally) and it has an extending arm so I can pull out the mirror when I need it closer to where I'm standing. This gives you the visibility you need to apply makeup plus TWO hands. The light isn't that strong, but I use natural light from windows and other bathroom lights. But the mirror is invaluable in applying makeup, especially eye makeup.

It comes in different finishes and different magnifications. Jerdon is one brand: 2-sided swivel halo lighted wall mount mirror with 5x magnification, extension 13 inches.

AKRinNY

[ Edited ]

I usually wear contacts, but I ruined my last three pairs in one week and had to wear my glasses full-time until I got in to see the eye doctor. I really couldn't wear much makeup in the meantime since I'm blind as a bat. Once the glasses are off, I can't do any sort of eye makeup. I also couldn't do any sort of face mask near my eyes or temples or nose. 

Anyway, i don't really have any pics of my glasses. Except both pairs are purple. I really need to stop with the whole purple thing. My glasses are purple, my winter boots are purple, my main winter AND spring coats are purple, my winter hat and gloves are purple, and tons of my clothes are. since we are buried in snow up here, most days I'm in head to toe purple.

jozkid

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I like purple, too. I find it almost works as a neutral — goes with everything. I have a couple of purple Coach bags and get a lot of compliments on them!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 92 replies
  • 238 hearts
  • 33 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • mberteig
    • ginger304
    • malday
    • marydiva
    • jasminee