ashleynne

That moment of confusion when drugstore foundation excels where your high end couldn't :/

[ Edited ]

I've constantly been finicky about my foundations over the years since working in cosmetics. The two foundations I ever used for at least a couple of years was Lancome's 24 hour teint idole and the Estee Lauder DoubleWear, but eventually those too dissatisfied me where I looked elsewhere as my skin became oilier and breaking out more. I finally found a foundation I liked the hourglass immaculate. However the price was a little more than I wanted to pay for (I always said if it cost $50 or more there's little chance I'm going to get it unless it's the holy grail). After trying everything on the market I had been interested in I stepped back and decided since I had pretty much tried it all, I had nothing left to lose. So after much research I headed to the drugstore and bought two foundations. Covergirl Outlast 3 in 1 and Maybelline's Dream Matte Mousse. Much to my surprise (and slightly sourness) they worked out way better than my high end adventures. I keep asking myself how is possible. Has anyone else experienced any of these slightly awkward moments?

tracygirl64

Re: That moment of confusion when drugstore foundation excels where your high end couldn't :/

[ Edited ]

Oh wow! I like my current foundations, but they could use some improvement. Right now the 2 I use are Josie Maran's Matchmaker Serum Foundation and Tarte's Amazonian Clay foundation, but Josie's doesn't match me perfectly, I still have to put quite a bit of the product on my neck to help blend it in so it doesn't look all orange-y/off-color for me. And, Tarte's is hit and miss for me. Most days it wears really well, but days where it is really hot/muggy, it tends to break-up and not last well. I just ordered the Guerlain Lingerie De Peau after reading tons and tons of reviews, so we'll see how that works on me. If I'm still not that satisfied with it, I will have to check out the drugstore ones you just mentioned, as I have combo-oily acne prone skin, and if it's working out well for you...what do I have to lose to at least try it? Thanks for the info! :smileyhappy:

ashleynne

Re: That moment of confusion when drugstore foundation excels where your high end couldn't :/

I just finished up the Tarte Amazonian Clay foundation and I was so happy I was able to finally part with it. I found it to be really grease and opposite of long lasting, on top of that it broke me out more. :/ Yeah definitely try the foundations from the drugstore I listed, but also try the Hourglass Immaculate. I'm thinking I like the Covergirl a bit better than the stay matte mousse (the color is better for me and the application is more sanitary) but honestly I like them both so well. Your welcome! And good luck on your foundation hunt! :smileywink: 

tracygirl64

(0) Hearts

Thank you! Hourglass Immaculate doesn't work well on me either. I've tried it out twice now. :smileysad: So, we'll see how the Lingerie De Peau works on me. I would've never thought to even look at drugstore foundation to outperform the higher end brands. But, it will definitely be better on my wallet as well! :smileywink:

ashleynne

(0) Hearts

Sad day.:smileysad:  Yeah it's probably has been since like I was 12 or 13 when I last used them. I was surprised too.. lol It's definitely going to save me a lot more pocket money for other highend makeup and skincare products I purchase

nightknight

In terms of foundation, I've never had a drugstore foundation live up to my needs. Heck, even high end foundations fail to meet my standards for the perfect foundation. I'm just incredibly picky and have only found 2 foundations that I would consider repurchasing and only one of them I would repurchase without a doubt. However, the opposite is true for me for BB creams. I haven't found a high end BB cream that I like, but I recently found my HG BB in a drugstore in France.

ashleynne

(0) Hearts

Maybe we're too picky! lol. I expect my foundation to do everything I need it to do, but yet I always find 1 con at least that makes me constantly try something new. I haven't had any luck with bb creams or cc creams because I find them so limited in shades.

Annalily11

I've yet too. Besides not even close to having my color, drug store makeup has a high tendency to break me out, with cover girl being the worst offender in my experience(though I've only ever used drug store concealers). However I'm glad they're stepping it up. The amounts some high end brands charge is absurd for the job they do. When I was searching for foundations I sampled a lot of different high and mid range brands, and half the time the high end stuff was less impressive than the Clinique foundation I first bought, and the MAC foundation I ended up with(Clinique's actually preformed better, but sadly didn't have my shade).

ashleynne

I've seen every foundation I buy slowly climb up over the years. Going from $32 to $34 to $37 to $42 to $45 to $55 and then I'm like ok this is getting ridiculous..

talinder

(0) Hearts

That Covergirl foundation is one of my HGs as well. I use the Queen version, but it's the same. It's the 2nd time I can ever recall saying I absolutely loved a foundation. That said I am still looking for "the one." I just realized I have 16 foundations/BB/CC/TMs if you include powder foundations. Despite that I have at least 5 other bases on my list to try.

I'm not really into DS products though since I can't test the foundations. My complexion is just too important to me to wing it. I'm surprised I purchased the CoverGirl last year.

ashleynne

(0) Hearts

Yes I absolutely love it! It didn't budge or fade at all. It is VERY long lasting.

andyhtrieu

(0) Hearts

Where can you find the Queen version? the original shades are way too peachy/pink for me

talinder

(0) Hearts

I found it when I happened to be in a CVS down South. Target.com and drugstore.com also sell the foundation with the latter often having discounts. Unfortunately I think the shades will be too dark for you, Andy. I wear the second darkest Q805 and I am NC44/NARS Tahoe. Q800 Sand is the lightest shade and I think I heard it is equivalent to NC42.

OT: What shade are you in Revlon Colorstay? Toast?

andyhtrieu

(0) Hearts

I'm NC40 in MAC, and Toast is too dark for me. I always see the Queen collection online, but it's never in stores

talinder

Yes the Queen foundation is found in more 'urban' areas.

lecia1167

The whole NYX line. Srsly. So incredibly great. I love their eye shadow palettes and lipsticks!

ashleynne

I really want to try their lip creams!

reflectsgold

(0) Hearts

Many of these brands are owned by like 3 bigger companies lol.

ashleynne

(0) Hearts

Well that's common knowledge, everybody knows about that. :smileyhappy:

HelloCoffee

I agree with samvad, the last few years drugstores have definitely stepped it up. I am happy about this because even though I love Sephora, I have to make cutbacks where I can.

But since we are talking about foundation, even though I love Bobbi Brown's stick foundation, I always post on here about how much I love Loreal True Match......I have my exact match, it goes on smooth, blends easily and I always looks natural. I also agree with Ballerinagirl in that a lot of bloggers tend to ignore drugstore products and don't test them out as much.....but I usually check youtube for stuff like that, and people there tend to test drugstore products a bit more. 

Anyway, if you found something that works and can save you money, go for it!

ballerinagrl

(0) Hearts

I wish someone would road test drugstore BB creams. I'd heard great things about Loreal's, so I picked it up, as now I'm over 40 with pigmentation issues I like a bit of coverage even if I'm not going out (I have 18 year-old blonde Finish au pair whose skin is enviably youthful and naturally glowing), but I am so disappointed in it. I am now thinking maybe I'll go for the Maybelline foundation, but I don't really want to clog my skin up with foundation every single day ...

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 24 replies
  • 21 hearts
  • 13 in conversation
    • samvad
    • reflectsgold
    • tracygirl64
    • talinder
    • nightknight
    • ashleynne