dlong0130

Tarte's new bb primer spf30 vs. smooth operator spf20?

(0) Hearts

Hi i want to get a bb cream/tinted moisturizer for the summer so i don't have to put on a lot of make up! I saw tarte's new bb primer with spf 30 in the store and liked it, but online i saw smooth operator which seems like almost the same thing but it comes with a lot more product for the price! I have pretty light, oily skin so i need sunscreen and i thought either of these would be a good alternative! Just wandering if anyone could help me decide which one to try! Thanks!

shoesnmakeup

Re: Tarte's new bb primer spf30 vs. smooth operator spf20?

(0) Hearts

I just got the BB primer and I have to say that I'm considering using it alone. It has really great coverage and feels fantastic on my skin.  I have oily skin so I'm not sure how it will hold up during the day, but I figure its worth a shot.  I haven't tried the smooth operator but thought I would tell you how great the BB cream really is.

lovelyred139

I've used both products and, while I love both, I prefer the BB tinted primer treatment for a few reasons.  I like the higher SPF, "Fair" in the tinted primer treatment is a better match for my pale skin than the lightest shade in the BB tinted moisturizer (the tinted moisturizer pulled a bit more yellow than I like), and the tinted primer treatment is very light on my skin.  I put it on, blend it out, and I forget that it's even there.  I'll likely get a lot of use out of it over the summer specifically because it is so lightweight -- I barely feel like I've got makeup on.

I will mention that if you have oily skin, you might find the tinted moisturizer does a better job at controlling it than the tinted primer.  The tinted moisturizer has Amazonian clay in it, which does a pretty good job at minimizing shine and controlling oil throughout the day -- almost like a very glamorous, much nicer-looking clay mask.  My sister has an oily skin type and she loves the tinted moisturizer.

dlong0130

(0) Hearts

Thanks! I think i'll try the bb, i use an oil controlling moisturizer so i'll think it will even out

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Tarte's Smooth Operator is going to strictly be a tinted moisturizer with SPF as opposed to the BB primer, which will help prime, conceal minor blemishes, and even out skin tone along with SPF benefits.

If you're looking to cut down on steps, the BB would be a great way to go. BBs also tend to offer a step up in terms of coverage compared to regular tinted moisturizers.

Although both products contain SPF, the amount you actually receieve in cosmetic based products are neglible compared to using an actual sunscreen or SPF based lotion as the general consumer does not apply enough product to get the full benefits of SPF in cosmetics. It generally takes 1/3-1/2 of a teaspoon to get the amount of SPF advised in a product and being that most consumers don't want to layer on so much foundation, tinted moisturizer, or BB, your main and best source of SPF will still be in skin care.

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 heart
  • 4 in conversation
    • lylysa
    • lovelyred139
    • dlong0130
    • shoesnmakeup