shinybananas

Surprise contour cream!

So, this morning I was looking at my Maybelline color tattoo in Tough As Taupe and got an idea.  I used it to contour my cheekbones and jawline and blended it like a mofo.  It looked great!  It's a really cool toned taupe that mimics the color of shadows on the face.  All of my other contour products (such as MAC Sculpt and NYX Taupe) are warmer.  And powder.

Anyone else have helpful "off-label" type uses for their makeup?

vanillammm

Re: Surprise contour cream!

(0) Hearts

shinybanans,

What color is your skin tone, so I have a reference point about whether or not is is worth trying out tough as taupe as a contour cream on my own skin....

shinybananas

I'm a pretty neutral NC20, Nars Deauville.  I prefer contouring with cooler taupes rather than bronzer and just using bronzer for...bronzing.

I've heard/read of warmer toned people also contouring with ashier colors, too, so if you have yellower undertones, it still may work for you.  Also, the shadow is really pigmented, so it should show up even on darker skin.

And hey, if it doesn't work, you just spent 8 bucks on a taupe cream shadow that stays on your lids forever!

Tayvm

I saw a You Tube video where a gal was talking about that.  Apparently there are 3 new colours which are fairly matte/neutral.  One was a brown (less taupe than Tough as Taupe), a nude and a pinkish nude.  I've asked at a few stores here in Canada, but sometimes its months (or never) until we get the new releases.

Going back to your question though ... I'm sometimes hesitant to use something like that on my face because I'm somewhat oily and have been going through ridiculous hormonal breakouts the past few years.

shinybananas

(0) Hearts

Oh, that's interesting about the breakouts.  My skin is dry and I only really get a couple zits around period time.  I wasn't aware that a product like that could be comedogenic...perhaps look up the ingredients list?

That sucks about Canada.  C'mon, companies, Canadians buy stuff too!

Tayvm

(0) Hearts

Once I hit 40, my skin went crazy.  Slowly getting it back to somewhat decent, but I don't want to rock the boat so I tend to stay away from anything creamy ... even cream blushes.  I'm sure they'd be fine.  It's probably more of a mental thing :smileywink:

shinybananas

(0) Hearts

Wow, that's so interesting.  You think you've gotten over the adolescent hump and settled comfortably into adulthood, and then -BOOM- it goes haywire again?!

I'm in my early 30's and now I feel like my days are numbered...

mafan

Oh please don't say that -- I'm turning 50 in less than 4 weeks and I still feel like I've got plenty of time ahead of me.

I love the Color Tattoos and have 2 of the 3 new ones.  They're definitely matte.  I've never thought of using them as contour colors.

As far as crazy skin, everyone is different.  My poor husband is the one who seems to have the adult problems and I've been managing okay.

shinybananas

(0) Hearts

Oh, I didn't mean in it a morbid way, I suppose I meant it in a "my skin is in the eye of the storm possibly" kind of way. Happy upcoming birthday :smileyvery-happy:

The Color Tattoos are pretty amazing. I've actually hit pan on the bronze one.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 hearts
  • 4 in conversation
    • mafan
    • vanillammm
    • shinybananas
    • Tayvm