andyhtrieu

Sheer to light foundations for oily skin

[ Edited ]

Since my acne scars are fading and getting better, I want to start wearing a light coverage foundation for the spring/summer weather. I want something that has a light coverage that is suitable for oily skin with no white cast in flash photography. I'm completely oped to tinted moisturizers and BB/CC creams as well. So far, I've looked at:

• Becca Radian Skin Finish
  • Benefit Big Easy
  • Bobbi Brown Tinted Moisturizer Oil Free
  • Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation
  • Bobbi Brown BB Cream
  • Clinique Even Better
  • Clinique Perfectly Real
  • Estee Lauder Invisible Fluid Makeup
  • MUFE Mat Velvet (i know it has medium, but i can use less)
  • Smashbox Studio Skin

I've read reviews on these from Sephora and they all sound amazing!! Have any of you tried these? What do you think?

Edit: I'm trying to stay under $50 :smileyhappy:

DiVWA

Re: Sheer to light foundations for oily skin

(0) Hearts

What about Giorgio Armani “Maestro” Fusion Foundation? I think it's made with a "dry oil" but it dries somehow. It's pretty sheer. It may be okay for oilier skin but get a a sample (in your right color) from Nordstrom or other place. It has SPF 15 too, but no white cast.

andyhtrieu

(0) Hearts

I would love to use that foundation, but it's too expensive for me. I will get a sample of it though :smileyhappy:

DiVWA

(0) Hearts

Yeah after I wrote this I looked at price and saw it was above your price level. Sorry about that....

andyhtrieu

(0) Hearts

It's ok! I forgot it existed until you mentioned it haha

jenbro88

(0) Hearts

Another great BB cream option is Dr. Jart+ Black Label BB cream. The Tarte BB Primer broke me out (I know most people don't have that issue though), so after doing some research I landed on this as a replacement. It's quick and easy, evens out my complexion, and lasts all day. I wish I could have used the Tarte one, it worked so well at keeping the oil in control, but I'm loving how the Dr. Jart works too!

andyhtrieu

The only problem with his BB creams is that it only comes in one color, which would make me look like a ghost. ):

hackneyfl

(0) Hearts

For the ladies using the UD naked skin which primer are you using? I have oily t-zone and this just doesn't work for me even though I love the shade. I have been using the hourglass veil primer and just not controlling the oil for me.

andyhtrieu

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Thank you for your recommendations! I'll definitely look at the Tarte BB Primer, MUFE Face and Body, and the UD Naked Skin. 

The MUFE Face and Body look very pink though ):

carolang

Andy - I highly highly suggest getting a sample of the Tarte 12 hour BB primer treatment. My skin sounds like yours - right now I'm really only tackling some redness and old scarring that is slowly fading. My skin is quite oily, so much so I can really only get away wearing powder foundations and some of the super strength long wear formulas (they don't last all day even, though). This BB primer is awesome. I rave about it on here often. It's enough coverage to make my skin look flawless. Since its a primer, it fills in pores. It doesn't break down under the oil on my forehead, and it actually does a decent job of controlling oil (and I get oily quick). I like to apply it with my Real Techniques Expert Face Brush, but fingers work too. Because ofthe consistency, less is more (using more doesn't equal better coverage, because it's a primer it just ends up looking cakey). The only downside is it dos emphasize dry skin, even if your skin isn't visibly flaking. I was overwashing and over drying my skin and it would show, so I started using less stripping cleansers and reduced my acne med use and this went on better and my skin was just better in general, so I know if I go flaky with this then Iover not keeping my skin hydrated enough.

I can't recommend this enough, as someone with acne prone skin that's always a little bumpy with large pores, this works so great at evening my skin tone and smoothing it out. Another thing I like about it is that it's more on the yellow side, I don't want my looking red or flushed at all so I like that. I do have to mix 2 shades though - I like using Light with a dash of medium (I'm medium beige in bareMinerals). It's an HG product for me and if applied correctly to properly hydrated skin (I still use my Clinique gel moisturizer under, otherwise it can feel a little tight) it really looks like second skin and it lasts throughout the day well especially as oil comes through. I think you would be a good candidate for it, I would go get a sample! SPF 30 (non-chemical, which is a preference of mine) with no flashback. I know some people will layer it with a powder foundation but the primer alone is enough for me. It literally makes my nose look flawless (like porefessional) - no blackheads in sight!

LariTheLoud

(0) Hearts

I agree with the Tarte BB Primer. I didn't buy it yet, but I tried it out in-store. I loved the texture of the product, and it matched my fair skin perfectly. I intend to buy this for the summer months on days when I don't feel like layering makeup on my face!

JayReed

I am going to second Urban Decay's Naked Skin Foundation. I tend to get extremely oily throughout the day and this foundation stays on all day for me. (with primer of course) This is the only light weight formula that sticks and I have tried many! I love how I can wear enough to get a light coverage or I can build it up!

infinitise

I think your best bet would be the UD naked skin and MUFE face and body.. I can't think of anything else that has sheer coverage but holds on oily skin. 

Becca's radiant satin skin is nice but thick. it doesn't show ur skin thru 

any of Bobbi Brown won't stay on (except the long lasting one which is thick) 

Smashbox from studio skin "feels thick" on the skin 

Shiseido sheer and perfect is also nice - surprisingly long lasting 

andyhtrieu

(0) Hearts

Are the shades for MUFE face and body too pink? I'm looking at the swatches on sephora and they all look very pink. and i have very strong yellow undertones. Even foundations with neutral undertones look pink on me hahah

infinitise

(0) Hearts

They unfortunately discontinued one of the lighter yellow shades, but #32 in real life is a nice yellow 

H216

(0) Hearts

How about bare minerals? 

poshified

Other options I'd suggest include: MUFE Face and Body, Burberry Sheer Luminous Fluid, UD Naked Skin, and the Diorskin Nude BB Cream.

The Bobbi Brown BB cream is good, but I could never find the right color match on my NC27ish skin tone. The same goes for Mat Velvet, so I'm always mixing two shades.

Jessiica15

(0) Hearts

image.jpgI recently tried Buxom foundation and have been obsessed with it!!  

andyhtrieu

I got a sample of this in You're a Natural and it was a perfect match, but I got very oily quickly. Even with a primer. I love the amount of coverage it has though

strawberrygirl8

(0) Hearts

You should try the Buxom foundation with a different primer. I got super oily with it the first couple times I used it, but then switched primers (personally, I went to the Dr. Brandt Pores No More primer, but I'm sure there's other, less expensive options that would also work) and that helped significantly with reducing the oiliness! 

ireneh

What about Nars Sheer Glow? :smileywink: :smileyvery-happy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 18 hearts
  • 13 in conversation
    • poshified
    • jenbro88
    • carolang