rlmcc83

SERIOUSLY blush challenged-advice welcomed!

Hi everyone- I am looking for help in the blush department. This is one of my favorite cosmetic items, but I am having trouble finding something that works for my coloring and skin issues. I am a caucasian, 30 y/o female with fair skin and yellow undertones. I also have a lot of natural redness/pinkness in my cheeks, which has gotten more pronounced as I've gotten older. I've changed my skin care routine, mainly by adding moisturizer (in high school I had very oily skin, but am now more of a dry combination type, so the idea that I need to moisturize is still pretty new to me). A lot of the redness was due to just having dry skin, and these changes have helped alleviate the problem, but it won't completely go away. Covering it with make-up requires me to put on way more than I am usually comfortable wearing, so anymore I just put on primer, tinted moisturizer and powder, and let any leftover redness show through. Even when I do feel like wearing heavier foundation and concealer, by the end of the day the make-up has "sunk in" anyway, allowing the redness to show through. However, I still think my face could use some color and my cheekbones could use some definition/highlighting. Problem is, I'm not sure of the best way to do this. Bronzer seems to accomplish this the best, but even with a light color (I'm currently using NYX matte body bronzer in light) and a light hand, it still seems a bit fake looking to me. I'm fair skinned, work indoors most of the time and don't spend a lot of time outside, so I don't get much sun. It kind of looks like I just got some color on my face, but forgot my arms/legs. I've also tried highlighters on my cheekbones such as the Stila luminizer and Benefit High Beam, but find the overall effect a bit too shiny for everyday wear. I recently bought a Benefit lips and cheeks set that included a mini size of their Sugarbomb powder, which I am wearing right now. It's a nice peachy color when you mix all the shades together and gives me a bit of highlight without being too overwhelming, so this may be something worth buying the full size version of. So...any advice/ideas? Or anyone who's got the same skin problems/coloring and found something that works? Thanks in advance.
redhead85

Re: SERIOUSLY blush challenged-advice welcomed!

(0) Hearts

I have a similar skin tone -- more yellow based -- and it's hard for me to find blushes that don't look too pink on me. I like peaches and corals best. Most days, I wear L'Oreal True Match for warm tones in the fairest option. I think the shade is called Bare Honey. It looks like a bronzer in the pan, but wears as more of a peach on me. It doesn't look too "muddy," which is what typically happens when I try to wear bronzer. Maybe worth a try if you don't mind a powder blush! A little seems to go a long way on me (one pan lasts me for at least a year) and you can find it at a drugstore.

rlmcc83

(0) Hearts

Thank you to everyone who has replied.  These are some good ideas!

onomotopoeia9

My room-mate has the same coloring as you, and she swears by the Dior DiorBlush in Rosebud 939. I have it too and its great - its not too pinky but its still pink, and it goes on sheer enough but is build-able and the pigment lasts.

The Cream blush is also a great idea, benefit has a really good one.

kalex

I also have fair pinky colored skin and my hands down favorite blush is NARS Sex Appeal which is a light peach. I do also like Sugarbomb though.   I also love Dior's Nude Tan Healthy Glow in 002 Sunlight - it's the only bronzer I've ever tried that gave me a bit of "oomph" and didn't make my face look dirty.

onomotopoeia9

I also had the "face looking dirty " thing...I don't know why it took me so long to find this, but the sephora collection in los cabos really works for me :smileyhappy:

mommyto4

I agree with jennypenny1995.  I am 31 with fair skin and some redness on my cheeks.  Dandelion by Benefit is the only blush I have ever found that I truly love.  Just the right amount of color.

kd006

Since you have drier skin, I would recommend a cream blush. It makes your skin look a little more dewy and lasts a long time (at least for my dry skin). I find when I use a cream blush.. at least the stila ones, i don't need a highlighter because the dewiness from the blush is sufficient for me. My favorite colors are lillium and peony. If you are looking for a powder blush, I prefer the tarte ones. But all of jennypenny's suggestions are great blushes. If you do need a highlighter, I like the tarte smooth operator illuminating serum. It's way more subtle than high beam (although I do love high beam as well). Just be careful when applying a cream or powder blush not to take off your foundation when applying it. When I use a cream I like to just put it on my ring and middle finger tips and press it into the skin, so it doesn't wipe away all the hard work of applying a flawless foundation! The stila cream blushes blend very easily so I like them a lot. Hope this helps!

krunce

(0) Hearts

Ya! I just got my Stila in peony and the texture is so beautiful and teh colour is so natural. The Stile range for cream blushes is fantastic. You can really narrow in one whether you want it to look like a super natural pop of colour, or a rosey flush, or something else entirely.

Makeupgeek has an amazing tutorial on cream blush application, if you want to kd006's method in action:
http://www.makeupgeek.com/tutorials/how-to-apply-cream-blush/

I've been using this technique and it more than suffices. I would never dream of applying it with a brush.

The Illamasqua cream blushes are also extremely highly rated if you want more colour choice :smileyhappy:

kd006

(0) Hearts

Ahh! I love watching makeupgeek's channel and she is why I bought cream blushes! Lol. I never knew what the best way to apply them was and she helped me out.

I really thought all of the stila blushes were the wrong shade for me. You look at the pan and you're like oh that's too dark or that's too bright but you can really customize it to what you want when you use your fingers to apply it.

I also tried a brush to apply it. Just a stippling brush. You have to press so hard to get the color to come off on your cheeks and then your foundation is ruined. I just can't make that method work for me.

I also bought an illamasqua cream blush in lies and that is the WRONG color for me lol. I have to return it. It made me look so greasy.. I just was not a fan. But I really liked the product. The consistency is so nice. I always forget about the illamasqua ones just because I haven't been able to use mine, but I'm going to just swap it out for a new color. I think i'll get promise. But everytime I go on the site it's sold out! Right now 7/11 of the colors are out of stock. I got on the list to get an email when promise comes into stock but I'm going to the mall 2 hrs away on the 27th so hopefully my sephora will have it in stock!! Crossing my fingers!!

jennypenny1995

Dandelion by Benefit or Exposed or Dollface by Tarte.  Both formulas last well, and all 3 shades are gorgeous on fair skin.  If you only want 1, I'd recommend Dandelion.  No glitter to it and just the perfect balance of soft pink and light peach.  Love it!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 7 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • kalex
    • redhead85
    • jennypenny1995
    • onomotopoeia9
    • mommyto4
    • rlmcc83