Carmen1986

Question About Setting Powders ?

Hey everyone,

After my consultation this past Sunday with Shyam ( pro cast member at Sephora Toronto ) I have been undecided about setting my makeup. His technique is using a powder foundation ( Pro Finish ) to set my makeup and I am so used to using a loose/pressed setting powder. I was wondering which would be better without me looking like I have over dried cake batter on my face ?.

Thanks 

DTalksAll

Re: Question About Setting Powders ?

(0) Hearts

If I'm using a medium-full coverage foundation, then I don't set it with another medium-full powder foundation. 

If I'm wearing powder or a cream/powder foundation then I don't set it at all, I just use a finishing product like Guerlain Meteorites or a setting spray. 

If I'm wearing a liquid or cream, then sometimes I'll set it with DiorSkin Flawless Perfection, but it's really a buildable foundation, so I only do this when I need more coverage. But usually I'll stick to a loose setting powder and/or a finishing powder. 

I always keep the DiorSkin or a guerlain compact in my purse for touchups. 

If I'm wearing a TM or BB/CC then I always set it with loose setting powder to keep it from oxidizing & that's it. 

It's all personal preference, I just don't understand why someone would apply a light coverage liquid, concealer, a full coverage powder, and then a finishing product. It just seems like a lot of work when you can just use one full coverage product. 

lolo01

I second the Mufe HD suggestion...I saw another post on here that NYX setting powder has the same amount of silicone as mufe hd.

I also love the Hourglass and Guerlain ,. 

JaneTurner920

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Use the pro foundation, I was afraid at first too but really makes you stand out. Only problem is that I tend to break out from it.

sunshine38

I've asked a similar question, too, and I keep seeing recommendations for Make Up Forever, so I'm going to try it!  Thanks all.

beautylovingirl

[ Edited ]

Actually to me I think it's just personal preference I however always use the MUFE HD or Dior's loose powder.:smileyhappy: And remember it's setting powder just a small amount is needed.

JamesLittle

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Setting Powders really help to set the base of the makeup, specially for the oil skins. I think loose setting powered goes well with the liquid foundation. But never used with powder foundation.

ellevee09

(0) Hearts

I'm currently looking for a new setting powder but right now im almost done with my Rimmel Stay Matte. I keep going back to that one. :smileyhappy: 

over60andfab

You will be happier using a designated setting powder - it does not build up on the skin & is silky soft - I am using MU 4 Ever High Definition.  It is amazing & picts don't do it justice because it is so soft & fine.

lyravega

(0) Hearts

Definitely loose/pressed setting powder. And something finely milled, and preferably light defusing/reflecting, like NARS Light reflecting Loose Setting Powder. That is my favorite one. It is fantastic for setting my foundations, plus it blurs fine lines and pores making my face look so, so, SO soft and pretty :smileyhappy:

swfupload_1768532526010455414.jpg

SirenPrincess

(0) Hearts

I'm loving the Smashbox Photo Set Pressed Powder.  It does a good job setting without adding much coverage or looking cakey.  It feels soooo soft on your face!

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

I prefer a designated setting powder vs. a foundation (if I want less coverage).

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 6 hearts
  • 12 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • lyravega
    • roxystar4
    • sunshine38
    • beautylovingirl
    • ellevee09