StraightRhodes

Primer with SPF

What are some good primers with SPF? I may be switching foundations but the one I really like doesn't have an sun protection, which is a must for my fair skin!

I'd really rather not add an extra step by layering on a sunscreen too.

beautylovingirl

Re: Primer with SPF

(0) Hearts

@StraightRhodes- Since your not interested in the Beauty Balms which I understand I do think that checking the primers out with the higher amounts of SPF would be good for you.

AmyC

(0) Hearts

I also have to agree with beautytester's suggestion of Urban Decay's Naked Beauty Balm! I love the SPF factor and my makeup stays on so much longer than when I have tried other primers. Even without setting spray!! Feels absolutely fantastic on my skin as well!

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

You may want to look at the Shisheido refining primer it has an SPF of 21. You can research it to seee if it is right for you. Hope this helps!

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Tarte's BB Tinted Treatment.  Terrific flawless look when used under foundation!

StraightRhodes

(0) Hearts

Unfortunately I've tried it before and the color makes me really sallow :/ 

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

Do you moisturize before you prime? SPF should be one of the first things you put on your face.  

StraightRhodes

(0) Hearts

I do. I use a pretty light moisturizer though and I've never had issues applying that before my previous foundation (which had SPF) and getting a burn. 

As I said previously I have a moisturizer I love and I do not really want to go through the hassle of trying several again. It took me probably 10 products to find my current one, lol.

lylysa

It's a tough call and really up to preferences. SPF integrated into cosmetics normally aren't as effective or give as much needed UV protection because cosmetic grade products aren't worn heavily enough to utilize the SPF incorporated.

It takes anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 of a teaspoon of lotion/sunscreen to get the full SPF value, and that amount isn't commonly used for primers or foundations (or even powders).

If you're determined to stick with a primer with SPF, look into Cover FX's SPF 30 Protection Primer, MUFE UV Prime SPF 50/PA+++ (which the PA+++ is a higher ranking in terms of protection offered), and Stila Hydrating Oil Free Primer SPF 30. 

You do run the risk of not getting enough UV protection if you're relying on make up on its own, and if you ever do consider mixing in a sunscreen, try a thin fluid like ones from La Roche Posay, even Neutrogena makes some, StriVectin, or Shiseido. They're nongreasy, mix in well with lotions/creams, and some formulations even come with skin care/conditioning benefits.

StraightRhodes

(0) Hearts

Again I have never had an issue with my old routine (as in I have never gotten a sunburn once on my face while using my old products), and I am very fair and burn very easily. The problem with most pure sunscreens is they smell awful, and most break me out. I have never found one for the face that did not leave me looking like a greasy mess, and I've tried at least Neutrogena and Shiseido's products specially formulated for face. I'm not sure how anyone could apply that much sunscreen to their face. My skin could not absorb that much product.

That's for those primer suggestions. I will look in to them.

viviene23

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Try Nars pro prime multi protect primer with spf 30...although my fave primer is hourglass, I think spf 15 does not give enough protection. Nars in my opinion is the next best thing as far as makeup staying on beautifully and it is not greasy like some other primers i've tried. I use this daily and hourglass on night outs. swfupload_3572189119742465798.jpg

StraightRhodes

(0) Hearts

Yes, I did feel 15 was a little low. I pretty much want at least 20. Thanks for the suggestion!

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

Hourglass SPF15 and Miracle Skin Transformer SPF20. Altho ideally you should get the SPF from the moisturizer. And I heard Urban Decay Naked BB SPF is basically colorless and really should be treated as a primer so that's another option. I have the miracle skin transformer in clear/untinted and a different hourglass primer and really enjoyed both.

StraightRhodes

(0) Hearts

I already have a moisturizer I like that treats acne so I don't really want to change moisturizers.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • AmyC
    • DTalksAll
    • jennypenny1995
    • lylysa
    • ChicDabbler