lillyjumper

Powder

(0) Hearts

What are some of your suggestions for a good setting powder/powder foundation? I am doing family photos and am looking for a powder to cancel out some of the spf cast in my spf 20 foundation.

What are your suggestions? Also, do you think of the MAC Powder foundation? Not the MSF, but dont know the actual name :smileyhappy: (comes in black compact). Does it break you out bad?

Thanks for your help <3

mberteig

Re: Powder

(0) Hearts

I like the Sephora Microsmooth powder foundation.  I use it both as a setting powder, and also as a foundation on days when I don't feel like wearing liquid foundation.  I like it so much, I think I am on my third compact of it!

lillyjumper

(0) Hearts

I will also have to look at that! so many choices! haha Can't wait to have a fun Sephora shopping day tomorrow :smileyvery-happy:

MizzyyzziM

(0) Hearts

I agree that this powder has been the best powder foundation I've ever used and comes out amazing in photos!

Make Up Forever's Pro Finish Multi-Use Powder. I have fair skin and use color 113 Fair Porcelain. I have fair almost porcelains skin. I use it on top of Nars Tinted Moisturizer in Finland. Its the best combo I've ever found.

MUFE 1.jpg

sarinalove

(0) Hearts

This is the only powder I use too! I wouldn't use it as a finishing powder though. But it's a great powder foundation!

lillyjumper

(0) Hearts

Ive been eyeing this as well for some time... this might just be a winner.. YES an excuse to buy this powder! hehe :smileyhappy:

emmaclaire

(0) Hearts

I'm not sure if there's a finishing powder that will counteract SPF flashback, so hopefully a more knowledgable poster will come in and be able to give a better answer on that front, but in terms of the MAC powder foundation, I wouldn't recommend it.  MAC tends to use a lot of SPF in their face products, so I would check if the powder contains SPF as well - you don't want to add to the cast by accident!  I don't think it photographs particularly well either because it's a bit on the heavy and chalky side.  My skin was not particularly pleased with the powder either!

I really like YSL's matte and radiant powder - it adds the slightest bit of color without caking on coverage and gives a beautiful shine free glow that looks very natural and pretty.

lillyjumper

(0) Hearts

Thanks for your advice! I was told at one point that if you add a colored foundation powder, it would make your foundation show up a little more normal toned! I haven't tried it, but it sounds like it would work when your foundation isn't spf 30... 

knadala

(0) Hearts

makeup forever.jpegThis works great for me :smileyhappy:

aviscardi

(0) Hearts

I love the hd powder but only in my oily areas to mattify. just a tiny bit so it doesn't reflect white, i have the travel size well over a year now. it lasts so long

lilyyy

(0) Hearts

This is the only powder I'll never use!

lylysa

(0) Hearts

For a camera ready powder that will work with any type of make up use a HD (high definition)/silica based powder like MUFE's HD Powder, Urban Decay's Razor Sharp, Too Faced's Primed & Poreless Powder, or Smashbox's Photo Set Powder.

They all have a super silky and fine texture so it's weightless on skin, the key thing about HD powders is the application and use. Only a tiny bit is needed! You only have to Google celebrities with HD powder mishaps to see too much will look chalky on the skin, but this in no way should deter you as any make up used improperly will result in not the wanted look intended!

Use a fan brush or a stipling brush to swirl up some powder, lighly press the brush onto your face and roll your hand as you apply rather than just buffing the brush in circles onto your face. You can even sweep the brush lightly onto your skin, the reason for the "placing" of the powder by rolling or sweeping compared to buffing is that the silica molecules are meant to lay on top of your skin as opposed to being "worked in". Silica molecules help bend light around imperfections and your overall complexion to give a more even and flawless look while minimizing the look of pores, fine lines/wrinkles, and even blemishes. It also photographs beautifully there are no harsh mineral particles that reflect light back during flashes so there's no worry about the skin looking washed out or too pale.

Eyes Lips Face (E.L.F.) has a $6 version in their Studio line if you want to pick up a version of silica powder but not spend the $30+ higher end brands sell. There's no real difference once the product is on, I've used this along with the high end brands, and they look just the same in person and in photographs. The only slight difference is the higher end brands feel softer when you touch it, but that doesn't affect the wear.

lillyjumper

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the advice!! i will look into the ELF and the Makeup Forever powder!

sarinalove

wow thank you...i really want to get the smashbox finishing powder but its like $28! maybe i'll check out the ELF version and see if there is a difference. I really love the smashbox one though so hopefully its similar.

taketheroses

(0) Hearts

There is a deluxe sample size of the MUFE powder, only $16 and it has lasted me quite a long time :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 heart
  • 10 in conversation
    • mberteig
    • emmaclaire
    • taketheroses
    • aviscardi
    • lilyyy
    • lylysa