12BPretty

Pores and fine lines accentuated by foundation application

I have oily skin, although my current skincare regime is doing well to keep that under control.  My pores aren't all that noticeable until I apply foundation.  I have tried several primers (Hourglass Mineral Veil, Benefit Porefessional, Smashbox Dark spot correcting, tarte poreless, tarte brightening) but my fine lines and pores seem to become more noticeable when I apply foundation particularly on my cheeks and around my eyes.  I use a flat top brush and buff the foundation forward and in reverse as suggested by a gossmakeupartist video posted by another contributor. I don't wear makeup on a regular basis for that reason, but the 2 most recent foundations I've tried are Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 24HR (love that it's transfer-free) and Hourglass Immaculate Liquid to Powder (really like the finish). Maybe I'm just too picky, any suggestions?

emilyh

Re: Pores and fine lines accentuated by foundation application

(0) Hearts

This might be a dumb question but how do you apply your primer?  I found out recently that when you're using a pore-filling primer, you're supposed to pat it onto the skin (so that it actually gets into the pores) instead of spreading/rubbing it on as you usually would with a skin product.  This seemed to help me.

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

That is why I no longer wear a liquid formula.  I have gone back to my Lancôme Dual Finish foundation and never, ever have settling or wasted product from using a brush.  Love it!

12BPretty

(0) Hearts

How do you personally apply it? How does it do with staying matte?  Is there much transfer?  What kind of coverage does it have? -- so many questions i know :smileyhappy:

ayen85

[ Edited ]

I would have to agree with desertrose 0706. I have the same problem,and nothing beats the estee lauder double wear line, i use their double wear light and its great,actually i think its the best ive tried and i tell u i have tested a lot of foundations :chanel,dior forever flawless,laura mercier,coverfx,lancome,mac and colorstay.their foundation stays on for quite a long time too.I could use it anytime of the year,even with dry spots and and oily t zone my double wear light holds up to any kind of weather conditions. ❤ It! I have fine lines showing,and large pores during my time of the month but it always makes me look flawless! 

12BPretty

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the recommendation! Do you also use a primer with the double wear?

DesertRose0706

when I have this issue, I find that it is always due to the foundation iteself that I am using.  A full coverage foundation I have found that does not settle into fine lines or emphasize pores is Estee Lauder Double Wear.  It stays matte all day (which is great for oily skin), has great stayibng power and beautiful coverage and finish.

12BPretty

(0) Hearts

Thanks...i haven't really tried out many foundations.  I kept thinking it was in the primer.  I'll give it a try!

beautylovingirl

Maybe try a different  primer I love Bare Minerals Prime Time Primer it leaves a smooth canvas for you to apply your makeup on. Also using a moisturizer on your skin before your primer will help to plump your skin. Hope this helps!

keelybt

Hi 12BPretty What type of coverage are you comfortable with?  Fuller coverage makeup is more likely to do that.  Also, is your flat top brush a dense bristle or more like a stippling brush?  A dense bristle picks up a lot of product so that could be another issue. I find a stippling brush works well to control how much makeup is applied at a time. If you are willing to try a lighter coverage, I would recommend trying Nars Sheer Matte Foundation. It goes on light but you can build it up to a medium coverage.  It will give you the matte finish, but isn't as dry as some others.

swfupload_8179077640258078766.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/pro-stippling-brush-44-P313013?skuId=1419415

swfupload_1116761003700897324.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/sheer-matte-foundation-P247356?skuId=1202043

12BPretty

(0) Hearts

I haven't tried using a stippling brush before.  I'll give that a try!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 8 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • jennypenny1995
    • 12BPretty
    • beautylovingirl
    • DesertRose0706
    • ayen85