lovelyred139

Pale-Friendly Liquid Foundations

Earlier I posted about a way to lighten a previously purchased liquid foundation that was an off color match.  Since then I've been looking for something that blends better, but I'm having a much harder time than anticipated.  My skin is quite pale -- I'm a natural redhead -- with cool tones and freckles.  I've got some redness and discoloration as the result of adolescent acne, but nothing that needs serious coverage.  I've found that if I blend to match my face, I end up with a two-toned look; my neck is essentially white as a sheet with literally one blue vein visible.  Many foundations seem to be either too yellow, too pink, or slightly orange.  I don't want to be that person who walks into a Sephora location saying "Match me" without any direction as to brands that might work, so I thought I'd ask around here.

For reference, I use Tarte's BB Tinted Treatment Primer in Fair, and it's the best match color-wise that I've found so far.  I love the product but wearing it for days on end seems to provoke cystic acne (I suspect the silicone), so I'm looking for something with a similar effect but a different formula.

Ashleighx93

Re: Pale-Friendly Liquid Foundations

(0) Hearts

I'm pretty pale myself. I'm always the lightest color in foundations.. i don't tan and i'm a blonde with freckles. 

Makeup For Ever matched me pretty well in the lightest shade and right now i'm playing with Estee Lauder's double wear which is thicker because it is a full coverage. But you can go have them match you at a Belk's or makeup counter and get a sample. They gave me ivory nude in that one. 

SirenPrincess

(0) Hearts

I thought of another one.  Sephora doesn't sell it, but Jane Irdale sells a BB cream that is extremely light.  It's actually a little too light for me! It's Jane Irdale Glow Time in color BB1.  If you e-mail them, they're pretty good about sending samples.

ladymeag

(0) Hearts

Local to me, they only sell this line in "cosmetic surgery" centers - so I've been kind of scared of it, though I see it frequently recommended for pale folks with sensitive skin. Thanks for the info on emailing them for samples! (And now I feel like I'm following you around this thread. :smileyvery-happy:

SirenPrincess

(0) Hearts

I wasn't sure what I'd think of the line myself until I tried it.  I was really impressed with the samples.

SirenPrincess

(0) Hearts

Dolce & Gabbana Perfect Luminous Foundation in Classic 60 is the lightest color match Sephora records (1Y01).  I really, really love it.  Not many stores sell it, but it would be worth ordering to see how it is on you and returning if you needed to.  It's my HG foundation.

http://www.sephora.com/the-foundation-perfect-luminous-liquid-foundation-P377165?skuId=1471887

ladymeag

I had completely forgotten about this one - the smell is above-and-beyond for me and triggers migraines (but I'm very scent-sensitive) but the color is indeed quite nice. If you can handle the scent, give this one a try! 

SirenPrincess - do you use a setting powder with it at all? I'm on the hunt for a good one and just can't find anything light enough that's not just plain rice powder. 

SirenPrincess

I've never smelled it.  Now I'm going to have to sniff at it when I put it on tomorrow.  LOL.

I do use a setting powder with it.  I can use Bobbi Brown porcelain finishing powder (forget exactly how they brand it, but that's what it is) or Smashbox Photo Finish setting powder fair.  The Smashbox doesn't really seem to give any coverage or color really.  Even if the color looks too dark in the pan, it doesn't show up on skin for me.

http://www.sephora.com/photo-set-pressed-powder-P292409?skuId=1349851

ladymeag

(0) Hearts

I am very pale. Bobbi Brown's Alabaster is too dark, ditto MUFE  Mat Velvet 15, and about a million other things. Urban Decay Naked Skin in .5 is slightly too dark but can be blended to usable. Kat Von D Lock It Tattoo Foundation in Light 42 is almost perfect but very full coverage - you can blend it down for a lighter coverage if you'd like but be aware that a little bit goes a very, very long way. I have not found a BB or CC cream that matches my skin yet. 

Good luck with the hunt - pale foundations can be so hard to find and match! 

Jeannad

(0) Hearts

As a fair skinned fellow lady I can tell you my favorite is Koh Gen Do.  Its just wonderful.  I use the Maifanshi  Moisture foundation but there is also an aqua one.  I highly recommend it.  Happy Holidays!!! :smileywink:

crayzeeRN

(0) Hearts

NARS makes some very light shades!

Take a look at their Sheer Matte/Sheer Glow foundation or Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer. All of these provide very light coverage and really help color correct :smileyhappy:

melanito

(0) Hearts

I just got my Dr Jart V7 BB cream. I find the Black Detox, which is for fair tones but is a bit too dark for me but great for my skin (it faded marks and didn't make me break out). The V7 is supposed to be quite a bit lighter and for fair fair people.

JustACostume

(0) Hearts

I am also quiet pale, to the point where my bottle of white foundation is nearly gone. I use Manic Panic's Dream Tone Foundation in Virgin. I plan on picking up Moonlight and Starlight whenever I can because the foundation is awesome on sensitive skin.

oklady2013

(0) Hearts

OOPS forgot the link. This is the one I got in Perfect Ivory

http://www.sephora.com/photo-perfexion-fluid-foundation-spf-20-pa-P235346?skuId=1162247

oklady2013

(0) Hearts

I'm fairly pale & pretty much neutral as well.  So many are just too dark/yellow/pink.  I recently was matched to Givenchy in Perfect Ivory, it's their lightest shade. It's a bit of a splurge but so far the best match I've found. good luck.

starletta8

(0) Hearts

I feel your pain on being pale- BB's Alabaster in the old formula is my HG and perfect match.  When I went in for a Benefit event at my local store a couple of weeks ago, they had to blend Boi-ing concealer with the lightest foundation because it was too dark.

One I will specifically tell you to avoid: Make Up For Ever's liquid foundation in 305.  It was slightly dark on me- but more than anything, it made my face explode with acne. It's very heavy.

In the past, I've used Lancome's foundations and found decent success.

If you're feeling very spendy, I've loved the Chanel samples I've gotten at their counters. They have some very pale foundatons- and 3 different lines, depending on your skin undertones. I just couldn't deal with price.

lreagan

(0) Hearts

I have pale and sensitive Irish skin and Kat Von D's Lock-It Tattoo Foundation in shade 42 is the best match I've found for my skin. Most foundations' lightest shades are still way too dark for me and usually look very orange on me.

http://www.sephora.com/lock-it-tattoo-foundation-P311138?skuId=1398825

ptrw

(0) Hearts

If you have cystic acne or sensitive skin, be cautious about the bobbi brown long wear. I have combo skin (very fair with yellow undertone so I was porcelain) and had my skin under control thanks to my clarisonic ( no cystic acne breakouts in months). I purchased the bobbi brown long wear and have had the worst cystic acne break out I have had in a while. It completely clogged all of my pores, made me itch, and hello cystic acne all over my chin and mouth! It is horrible and I am still battling it. 

lovelyred139

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the warning.  I'd been going back and forth about Bobbi Brown for that reason -- based on reviews it doesn't seem to play well with everyone's skin.  Definitely something to get in a sample first.

blondesalsa

(0) Hearts

Bobbi Brown long-wear foundation also gave me cystic acne, and I have never even had acne. I stopped using it and it looked better within two days but took a couple weeks to clear up totally.

rockhound0508

[ Edited ]

There is a youtube vid by Lisa Eldridge titled Foundation Solution for Very Pale Skin..check it out

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 27 replies
  • 8 hearts
  • 18 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • melanito
    • jennypenny1995
    • ladymeag
    • crayzeeRN
    • lovelyred139