Beccaaa

Oily skin help!!

I am going into high school this year, so I am looking for a few new makeup products to start of the year. Please do not tell me that this is too much makeup! I want to wear something like a bb cream or tinted moisturizer, but the problem is that I have super oily skin. My skin is pretty clear, so I want a little bit of coverage but nothing too heavy. I just want it to cover up redness and make pimples a little bit less visible. Has anyone tried a product that might work for me? Also, could someone please recommend a powder (preferably pressed) that can keep me shine free throughout the day? (no touch ups) Lastly, should I be using a primer or setting spray? Thanks so much!!! Please try to keep the products at the minimum because I'm using my own money, haha.

Also, what kind of eye makeup would you recommend for school? I want to look natural while still making my eyes look bright and awake. 

Thank you so much for anyone who can help, I've tried a lot of products for my oil skin in the past and it seems like nothing is working. 

clarks18

Re: Oily skin help!!

(0) Hearts

I have heard good things about the Garnier BB Cream for oily/combo skin. It comes in a green tube. My favorite setting powder for my oily skin is Tarte's Smooth Operator Finishing powder. I didn't have good luck with the Urban Decay Deslick powder. A good drugstore alternative is Rimmel's Stay Matte powder. A lot of Youtube gurus rave about that powder and it's a drugstore product so it's more reasonably priced. If you find the right BB or tinted moisturizer you wouldn't really need a primer. Benefit, Tarte, and Hourglass make amazing primers for oily skin. I agree with beautytester about the jewel tones for your eyes.

NYX is a great brand that has drugstore prices. They have a setting spray and a primer for oily skin as well as a powder. At Ulta they usually have NYX on sale every other week where you can buy one NYX product and get another half off. They also have a huge selection of eyeliners and eye shadows. I hope you find what you're looking for!

Beccaaa

(0) Hearts

Thanks! I'll check out NYX!

chelle478

(0) Hearts

A good bb cream that Sephora carries is Dr. Jart Black Label Detox. I believe they also sell a travel size in this formula.  You might want to stay away from pressed powders unless you change your puff very often. The puff will grab your oil, then you set it on top of the powder, and it will make hard spots on the powder. If you are super oily, as I once was, here is a crazy sounding trick. Before you apply your foundation or bb cream, apply a THIN layer of milk of magnesia with a cotton pad and buff it into your skin.  It worked better for me than any other mattifying product.  Now, if you are not super oily, it may be too drying.  it can also be used thicker as a mask on a weekly basis.

As frustrating as it can be to deal with oily skin, just remember, as long as you don't bake in the sun, oily skin does tend to wrinkle less.  If you are close to a Sephora store I would suggest you go in and ask for a few samples to test before school starts.

Beccaaa

Thanks for your help!! When I go to Sephora to ask for samples, what should I say? And are they free? Thanks again. :smileyhappy:

mafan

(0) Hearts

Yes, samples are free.  They'll make up little pots for you.  Tell them what you told us -- that you have really oily skin and that you want something that will help control the oil and give you light coverage, like a BB cream or tinted moisturizer.  Let them know what you've tried that didn't work so that they can suggest different sorts of things.  Try to go when it's not too busy and they'll have more time to help you out.

They might also ask what you're using for cleanser/moisturizer, because a change there might help with the oil, and it never hurts to try.

ChicDabbler

What have you used that didn't work?

Since you have oily skin I would say a tinted moisturizer and a mattifying powder. Personally I use Laura Mercier TM and Clinique Stay Matte powder, both satisfying your criteria. You can also look into NARS tinted moisturizer or Urban Decay deslick pressed powder.

Finishing powder and setting spray serves the same purpose, since you asked for a pressed powder, no need for spray. As for primers, they are useful if your makeup doesn't stay on very long, doesn't apply evenly, or you look oily even after TM/powder. In which case you can look into a mattifying primer such as Benefit Porefessional or Hourglass mineral viel spf15. However, they are not necessary.

As for eyes, go for a dark jewel toned eyeliner to make it pop (I have brown eyes, love dark purple or blue). Curled lashes and mascara always make you look more awake. You can also line the bottom waterline with a white or nude eyeliner if you have a steady hand.

Beccaaa

(0) Hearts

Thanks so much! I like the idea of the jewel tones eyeliner. WHat color would you recommend for blue eyes? I want to look really natural.

jinxski

Skin79 Pink BB Cream - I used that all through high school and it helped minimize redness and acne, loved the stuff! The Gold is a little more moisturizing, but they both work about the same, in my opinion.

I used to use the Lancome Oscillating Mineral Powder Foundation in place of a pressed powder - still use it when I know I'll be taking photos for the night. Super fine powder, it makes my skin look airbrushed, and I never broke out from it.

Primer and spray depends on your skin, I used the UD setting sprays for awhile, but they seemed to have very little impact on my skin, as far as shine goes.

Good luck experimenting! Let me know if you want anymore recs.

Definitely remember your blotting sheets! Those are always my lifesavers, haha

Beccaaa

(0) Hearts

Thanks! I'll try out blotting sheets.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • ChicDabbler