krunce

Need help figuring out how to clean my brush!

(0) Hearts

Hey guys!

I just posted this question in the Question portion of the page for this brush, but you all are so wonderful and knowledgeable that I needed to bring it to your attention!

I've had this Stila double ended foundation brush for a while and it's pretty ok, though I don't find it's very good for buffing and use something separate for that. I'm also not a fan of the concealer end, which is a bit too... dense, and lifts off a lot of my concealer (I have the Sephora airbrush concealer brush and I looooove that :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy:).:

http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?productId=P269020

I use this with my Nars tinted moisturizer, because I like the application with a brush, and I like keeping my hands clean :smileyhappy: This brush doesn't apply too badly, and I follow it up with quick dabbing across the face with a super soft buffing brush to even out the brush application streak marks.

My problem is that the foundation end is so thick that even though I clean it regularly with brush shampoo, and very thoroughly at that, a lot of my foundation gets trapped right in the core of the brush. I've spent over 30 minutes trying to clean out the inside of it once and couldn't get any of it out.

I'm thinking of option out of this brush and going for a flat foundation brush, which, I expect, will be way easier to clean... what do you guys think?

DesertRose0706

Re: Need help figuring out how to clean my brush!

(0) Hearts

i use a really dense flat top synthetic bristle brush for my foundation, and because it is so dense, foundation gets trapped in the ceter and can be very hard to get out.  i read somewhere online that you can soak your makeup brushes in rubbing alchohol for a min or 2 to loosen up the makeup.  i tried this on my foudation brush and it works really well!  After i let it soak for a minute i then wash it with my usual brush soap (i like to use dish soap) and it gets all of the makeup out.  i would be hesitant to try the rubbing alchohol if the bristles are actual hair of some sort, as it may dry it out.

BeautyJunkie325

I use the pore pad also.  I also started using a silicon coaster that has nubbies on it as well.  It works well on my larger brushes.  I have the sigma brush cleaning glove on my Christmas List.

Kiki1517

What do you clean your brushes with? I have found that purifying face cleanser works the best for dense brushes. The way I see it is purifying cleanser is meant to clean the makeup off your face. so it should help get it off the bristles too. I like the way baby shampoo smells, but it doesn't work in this case. I've also been using this to help clean my brushes, add a little cleanser and water and swirl the brush on this pad and it helps scrub them quicker.

SEPHORA COLLECTION Precision Pore Cleansing Pad

swfupload_6109580085900165238.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/precision-pore-cleansing-pad-P262041?skuId=1233691

krunce

Yaaa! I do have one of these lying around somewhere... but may also have given it to my little sis when I upgraded to the Clarisonic :s

This is a great idea for cleaning, but I'm wondering how roughly you guys all use it on your denser, rounder brushes? I'm afraid that if I squash the brush on this, or on my hand, to try to get at its roots, I'll damage it somehow...

Kiki1517

(0) Hearts

I don't feel like I have to get too rough, when I swirl them around on here, it's actually really good at foaming up the cleanser, so it gets in between fairly easily. I don't try to get all the way to the roots because I don't want water getting into the handle.

BeautyJunkie325

(0) Hearts

I even showed my bestie this when I was in Houston a few weeks ago.  She cleaned all her brushed one night and was amazed at how clean they got and how quickly she got through them.  Now if we could just get a pad that was a little bigger for those larger powder/foundation brushes.

DTalksAll

I use this too! I almost threw it out a few months ago, but read on here that some people use it to clean their brushes instead of the expensive Sigma mitt. Works great! 

Kiki1517

That's when I bought this, when I was contemplating the Sigma glove. Someone on here recommended this, but I can't remember who.

lyravega

Such a great idea to use this pore cleansing pad to clean your brushes! Thanks! :smileywink:

shapeshifter

So smart! never thought to use the pore pad!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 10 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • lyravega
    • BeautyJunkie325
    • DesertRose0706
    • Kiki1517
    • krunce