jordynirene

My foundation ALWAYS looks cakey. ):

I have very oily, acne prone skin and it seems like no matter what products or tools or order of application I use, my foundation always ends up looking cakey or sliding off of my face. I am currently bouncing back and forth between Clinique Oil Free Stay Matte and Revlon Colorstay for oily skin because they are the only foundations that seem to last on my skin and I prefer a fuller coverage due to hyperpigmentation and acne scarring.

I use an oil free moisturizer followed by a primer, let them sink in for at least 10 minutes and then apply my foundation. I've tried applying liquid foundation with traditional foundation brushes, cheap makeup sponges, a beauty blender, a stippling brush, kabuki brush, and with my fingers. I try to make sure I only use a small amount and blend it in as well as I can before setting it with a light dusting of translucent powder and a spritz or Urban Decay's "Deslick" setting spray. However, after a few minutes my makeup always seems to look cakey and heavy and unnatural with many visible pores, and makeup will often slide around my nose. It's almost as if no matter what foundation or method of application I attempt, my makeup sits ON TOP of my skin rather than blending. 

What do I do? What am I doing wrong? I've watched so many tutorials and foundation routines and read up on as much as I can but I can never seem to apply any of the knowledge to real life and it's becoming extremely frustrating. Someone please help me )':

neko333

Re: My foundation ALWAYS looks cakey. ):

(0) Hearts

Try Holika Holika BB cream clearing. It's good for scars as I have a few and it covers quite well. It also controls oil better than most BB creams. I find it blends easily and dries nicely (You have to wait 10 mins or so). A translucent setting powder is a must with this also. It has no problem sticking to your skin as I've had to wash my face several times to get it off. The only problem I've encountered is it has that normal makeup transfer that I hate and is why I use the powder. I think it doesn't bother acne, it has tee tree oil in it to help with that. I've gotten compliments since I started wearing it. For the price I'm impressed. It's $6 on Ebay with free shipping. I like to try possible cheap solutions before expensive ones but that's just me. swfupload_7940928880789563470.jpg

midnightangel

(0) Hearts

I had this problem when I wore liquid foundations too. Switching to a powder or mineral foundation might help. Or a tinted moisturizer/bb cream.

But honestly, any makeup you wear is going to sink into your skin. That's just kind of what makeup does after you've had it on awhile.

You could also try using moisturizer or a light dusting of powder as a barrier between your skin & the foundation. But again, it's going to sink in eventually. :/

Giannina24

(0) Hearts

I have the same type of skin you do, and what really gets on my nerves is how HUGE my pores look after I put on foundation/ makeup powder... Until I found LUMINESS.  I know Sephora doesn't carry it (and I feel like a traitor for talking about something Sephora doesn't carry on their board), but I swear it's the only make up that blends in with my skin (as to sit on top), and controls shine for at least a good 4 hours.  After that, I use blotting papers every hour, but even then, my skin doesn't look too greasy.  I know the system is a little expensive, but it's well worth it.  Like their add says, you will never go back to regular make up.  During the summer, somedays I will switch to NARS tinted moisturizer, it will provide a little bit of coverage and color, and it doesn't make my skin as greasy as regular makeup.  Good luck on your search!

lmgr

(0) Hearts

Hello!

It sounds as if I used to have your same skin.  My face eats up make up like there's no tomorrow.  I made changes to my routine and I can now go through 9-5 without reapplying! 

I regularly wash with a gentle cleanser (I rotate these) that has saclylic acid to keep the acne at bay.  I use a clarisonic.  Then I use Sea Breeze Astringent, and Karin Herzog oxygen cream. (i'm a big believer in creams that promote oxygen).  Every 2 or 3 days, I switch that up to a Glamglow mask, astringent, and josie maran light argan oil. This has helped clear my skin and keep the oil under control while still giving me a healthy glow.  Its also helped my face retain makeup.  In the morning, I wash my face gently with my hands, and use Dior Nude BB Creme as spf/moisture.  I add another later of bb creme (or light weight foundation for a night out) with a damp beauty blender. make sure you're moving it gently in a downward direction.  Then i apply my powder with the beauty blender. i feel like it pushes it into my skin more than a brush.  Then i continue with my routine.  The comments below are right in saying you should stay away from an all oil free routine.  adding a natural oil like argan will decrease the amount your skin produces.. it may take some time..but eventually your skin will stop producing as much.  Also.. YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT!  Take a look at your diet and water intake and see how that's affecting you.  After I changed my routine.. and started eating MUCH healthier and working out..my face is so drastically different.  Good luck!

Luxeface86

(0) Hearts

Once you've applied your makeup, try blotting it to pick-up excess product. Use a tissue. 

For me, when I had this problem, I too was using all oil-free and anti-acne products. Even my moisturizer... but then I did what I thought I'd never do and applied straight oil to my face, no moisturizer. I used Tarte's Maracuja Oil and within one night, it made a huge difference. I only applied about 4 drops to my face, at night, about 30+ minutes before bed. It seriously made such a huge difference in the oil production of my face. Also, it helped lighten my hyperpigmentation. 

Also, I know that scarring can sometimes cause a "caked face" look because of the natural texture of your skin there. I have the same issue. Instead of primers, of which MANY break my out (thanks sensitive skin!), I have to use a moisturizer with hyaluronic acid as a main ingredient. This helps to plump up your skin since it holds so much moisture. 

Best of luck!

mxcx

I have that issue a lot too, where no foundation seems to ever look good and my blemishes just seem maximized by whatever I'm using.. ): Plus I definitely turn into an oil slick about an hour afterwards. In the past couple of months, my skin's gotten a little better though, so here are some things that helped me:

1. Use a chemical exfoliant. I agree with what others have said about exfoliating, but if you're using just a physical exfoliant (things with microbeads or other granules int them), they might be making the problem worse instead of better. Because you have oily skin, you really want something that helps your cell turnover rate in addition to the physical exfoliation. I recommend looking into glycolic acid as an exfoliant and starting off with a 5% toner every evening. This will help your pores become less congested and help keep dead skin cells at bay that physical exfoliation might be missing, which will let your skin calm down. It does take a few weeks for results to kick in though, but you could ask for a sample of a glycolic toner to see how your skin responds to it. 

2. Don't go completely oil-free in your skincare routine. Have you ever read Caroline Hirons? If you haven't, I recommend googling her blog and reading through what she has to say on acne and skincare concerns. I used to go oil-free on everything, but for the past few months I've switched my cleansers for ones that have good oils (read: no mineral oils!) such as plant oils, and because like dissolves like, I feel like it really helps to dissolve the oils on my face when washing. You could also do two washes, the first with an oil wash (to serve as a makeup remover) and then with an oil-free one if you're worried. I'd still recommend oil-free moisturizers, but make sure your moisturizer is actually moisturizing your face because sometimes when your skin feels dry, it produces more oil to overcompensate. 

3. Wait to apply your makeup. The time I get oiliest is usually after I wash my face in the morning because my skin feels like it needs to reproduce all the oil I just washed off to compensate for the lack of moisture. So I usually do my skincare routine when I wake up, including moisturizer, and then I'll go down and have breakfast with no makeup on. After about 30minutes-1hour, I'll notice my skin is pretty oily, so I'll use blotting sheets to blot off the oil and THEN apply primer, setting spray, foundation, and setting powder. I find that this really helps because my skin calms down after the initial freakout, and then the makeup sits much better on my face. 

4. Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer + Hourglass Immaculate Foundation. I really really recommend trying out some samples of these, or even having a Sephora associate put these on you in store. I've honestly tried pretty much every "oil-controlling" foundation out there, including the ones you mentioned, and nothing ever worked for me until I found this combination. The primer especially is amazing, although make sure you exfoliate because it can emphasize dry flakes. This combination keeps me shine-free for at least four hours, which is amazing because before, nothing kept me shine-free for more than one. 

jordynirene

(0) Hearts

This was so helpful, thank you! I'll have to try those Hourglass products out.

mxcx

(0) Hearts

No problem, I hope things work out for you! (:

Oh and as a side note, the Hourglass Immaculate does tend to oxidize, so I'd recommend going a shade lighter than you think you need to and waiting an hour to see the correct color that the foundation gives off. Plus the undertones stated on the website are pretty accurate. 

annonymous1

(0) Hearts

You should definitely exfloliate like what tashalicious said!

exfloiating is really good because it gets all the dirt and dead skin off your face before putting makeup on,

you should also try a primer, primers help me alot, i really like the hourglass mineral viel.

you should also instead of blending use it in a stippling sort of way, i use a beauty blender with my kat von d foundation and it covers more and doesent sit on top of my face 

tashalicious

(0) Hearts

how often do you exfoliate? i know that when i don't exfoliate  my makeup looks caked up and heavy, it doesn't matter what i do if my skin doesn't get a deep cleaning my makeup just wont look good.

dianabt

(0) Hearts

Hi jordynirene,

I would also recommend that you exfoliate your skin at least 2-3x a week to make sure extra debris and bacteria is removed from the face.

What moisturizer and primer are you using?  Those could also be culprits. Let us know and we'll be happy to help!

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
jordynirene

(0) Hearts

I usually exfoliate my skin at lease 3x a week or 2 if I'm feeling particularly lazy. 

I've been using Neutrogena's Oil Free Anti-Acne Moisturizer for the past couple months (It is the only moisturizer I've tried that doesn't leave my skin feeling extra greasy and it contains salicylic acid which helps keep my acne at bay.) and my current primer is the Photo Finish Foundation Primer Halo by Smashbox, but I've also tried foundation primers by E.L.F., Revlon, Rimmel, and Urban Decay and have had the same problem I am now.

Today I used those products, let them sink in for 10 minutes and then stippled on Revlon's Colorstay with a beauty blender, let that dry and finished it off by stippling on Smashbox loose powder with a flat top Kabuki Brush and set it all with a spritz of Urban Decay De-slick, however, I noticed that as soon as I got to work, the foundation was already sliding around on my face, looked patchy and cakey in some areas, and just bad! I know the humid weather has some impact on it but I feel like I shouldn't be having this much trouble and I keep wasting more and more money on different foundations and primers and powders. Do you have any recommendations for different products I should be trying? I'm starting to think that maybe I just have mutant skin.

odoriferouscand

(0) Hearts

I used to have similar problems, and it could be that the products you're using are exacerbating the skin problem you currently have. I used to use a lot of products that were oil free because I was afraid they would make me oily, but when I started using face oil for a moisturizer that went away. I use a very small amount. But, back to what I was saying. Try using a moisturizer and cleanser combo that has very little preservatives, no salicylic acid, no sodium lauryl sulfate, and very little alcohol. I find when I use almost all natural products it helps with my skins health a lot. I use acure organics for a fash wash right now. Stuff from Lush and a lot of items from Sephora can help as well, but I mostly buy makeup from Sephora so I can't be sure. Just steer clear of really artificial product and it might just help. : )

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • annonymous1
    • dianabt
    • neko333
    • Luxeface86
    • midnightangel
    • odoriferouscand