Carmen1986

My Thoughts : Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation ( Liquid )

Hey everyone,

So it's been at least a month or so since I been wearing makeup to work. It's been hard not having a  well rounded skincare routine however I do now... or do I ?.

So I did my usual routine 

* Cleanser - Philosophy Purity Made Simple

* Eye Cream - Amore Pacific - Rejuvinating Eye Cream

* Toner - In cleanser 

* Serum - Algenist Multi Perfecting Pore Corrector Concentrate 

* Moisturizer - Amore Pacific Natural Protector SPF 30 instead of Amore Pacific Moisture Bound Moisturizer as it's used at night. 

* Primer - Hourglass Veil Mineral

I let EVERYTHING soak in one by one. Then I applied the foundation and I admit this fomula is super thick and definitely more full coverage then anything. I let it set and then put a bit of my Maybelline Dream Matte powder over it. I did the rest of my routine and then used my Skindinavia setting spray and then headed to work. As the shift started out it started to look very dry and very cakey and then sorta came off around my nose and it looked just nasty. I brought makeup remover wipes just incase that should've happened. I washed my face too and brough my old cleanser. 

I'm lost as to what I am doing wrong here. I have everything down and my makeup still looks like S**T !!! I am very good at application and making myself look good dolled up. However I work in a very fast paced job. I sweat extremely badly and my face becomes very shiney too. 

What do I do now ?. Do I keep the foundation and use it elsewhere, return it or just find a new one again for work only !. 

kenny

Re: My Thoughts : Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation ( Liquid )

(0) Hearts

I actually really like the KVD foundation. Although since it is very full coverage, usually I save it for nights out. What i do to help it from looking cakey, is after I apply it with a regular foundation brush, I like to go over with a buffing brush to bland everything out, and help remove excess product so it doesn't slide into any face creases. 

Although if you really aren't liking the foundation, just return it. One product never works for everyone, so instead you can get a foundation that you actually enjoy:smileyhappy:

DesertRose0706

(0) Hearts

i also tried this foundation, thinking it might rival my HG foundarion, Estee Lauder DoubleWear, but I found that the coverage wasnt as good, it got cakey, it wore of really quickly, it didnt control oil, and it oxidized terribly.  i returned my bottle, and went back to Estee Lauder Double Wear.

My recommendation would be to return it and find another foundation that works for you!  Good luck!

lyravega

[ Edited ]

I had similar problem with this foundation. It caked around my nose and on my chin. But considering it is the only full coverage, oil-free foundation that don't emphasize my dry patches, I didn't wanna give it up. I played around and finally made it work. For me brushes don't work with this foundation. Beauty blender, or even fingers, work the best! Also, it is gonna look its best longer if applied in one thin layer. It is very pigmented so it still gives me nice coverage. If I apply more then just one thin layer, it's gonna cake. Under this foundation I only apply my moisturizer, or primer directly to skin. No layering tons of products will work. Not for me. Also, I don't set this foundation with anything ( setting powder, spray... ). I don't know why, but it lasts longer and no caking if I don't set it. If I set it with setting powder or setting spray, it cracks and cakes later on!!! So, moisturizer ( or just primer ), foundation applied with beauty blender ( or fingers ) in one thin layer, no setting - and it looks perfect and lasts all day! It even survived Mayhem Fest! :smileyvery-happy: All day on a hellish heat and humid, lots of moving around and sweating like crazy! :smileyhappy:

Kiki1517

(0) Hearts

I tried it and had such high hopes for it. It settled into every fine line on my face. That was with using Porefessional and an all over primer. With and without powder. All methods of applying. I even tried sheering it down with UD Naked Foundation which is pretty light weight, and it was still a cakey mess. When I returned it, the girl was like: Really?! It has such good reviews and it's out of stock. I haven't heard of anyone disliking it. 

jennjenn123

I love the KVD foundation.  I've found that applying it with my fingers works better than a brush because I can get a thinner layer around my nose.

It could be something about the combination of your moisturizer and primer that the foundation doesn't go well with.  I've been using different moisturizers lately (trying to use up some of my foil samples!), and I've run into one that just doesn't seen to work with my primer and the KVD foundation.  The primer - I use smashbox - goes on fine, but then the foundation doesn't. 

Depending on which you're least attached to, you can try switching moisturizer, primer, or foundation.  Actually, I just searched the Amore Pacific Natural Protector, and the suggested use is to apply it over moisturized skin.  It looks like it's only a sunscreen, not a moisturizer.  You could try adding a moisturizing product to your routine, and hopefully that will help with the flakes around your nose.

sephoramusthave

I LOVE this foundation. I have 4 bottles (no joke because when its out of stock its out of stock for a loooooooong time).

The very first time I tried it I put on way too much so it looked cakey and unnatural. The second time I tried it, I used just one pump and I spread it on with fingers and I LOVED it. It gives amazing coverage with such a small amount of product, it sets matte so I don't need to use setting powder over it, it doesn't break me out or irritate my dry sensitive skin, and one bottle lasts for months and months so its very much worth the 34 bucks.

lolo01

I went out and purchased the kat von d because of my redness and I love it. Have you tried applying it with your fingers? When I used a brush it looked very cakey and dry but when I use my fingers to apply it comes out great. I also just moisturize prior. I only dust the powder foundation on my tzone and cheeks bc of the redness but its a keeper for me.

annekevdb

(0) Hearts

Would a powder foundation work better for you at work? I am just wondering if they would cope w/ the getting warm and sweaty. I found the KVT to be very heavy coverage - I'm more of a light coverage sort of person anyhow. I guess it also depends on how much coverage you need/want. Mac's Studio Fix is a powder with pretty opaque coverage - so maybe something like that?

Carmen1986

(0) Hearts

I find it hilarious that the reviews on Make Up Alley are all positive for the most part. I don't really get how they can make it work lol. Oh well !

mafan

(0) Hearts

I've tried the KVD foundation and found it was far too heavy for me.  I don't like to feel like I'm wearing something, I just want something to even out my complexion and look good.  That said, when the person doing my makeover used it and when I went back to sample a different color, both sales associates told me that it was really designed to go with the KVD primer and for this makeup they really recommended using that.

My question is -- why do you want to keep it and try to make it work?  It sounds like it's not working, so why not return it and try something else?  Do you love the color match?  Do you love the coverage that you get before it starts to flake off on you?  If so, try a different primer.  If you're just keeping it because you've heard it's good or someone said you should love it, return it and get something else.

If I were you, I'd consider something lighter weight unless you really need the coverage.  You mentioned Make Up Forever and I like their HD makeup a lot.  And yesterday I tried a sample of Hourglass Immaculate foundation and I think I love it.  I thought the coverage was nice and it felt like I had nothing on my face.  It's not for dry skin, but you don't sound like that's your problem.

Anyway, try the KVD primer or return the makeup and get something else.

Carmen1986

Hey Mafan,

I'm a person who likes to experiment with different products, and different levels of coverage. Although I do love a medium coverage, I am always open to trying different types of coverage depending on where I am going, what I am doing ect. Well I think that's kinda silly that a product should only be designed to work with a primer from the same company. 

The reason I want to keep it for now anyways, is to test it on a day when I am not going to work at all. I find that sometimes foundations work better, and last better when I am not in a rush or having to run around like a crazy person. I know it may seem silly, but this is how I test makeup. The color match was not bad, the coverage wasn't bad when it first applied. I think a coverage of that level would be best suited for when I am doing something where I want to look super flawless though. Oh I would never keep a product because someone thought it was the best in the world. I do have plans to try the HD, and maybe ill get a sample when I go back to Sephora with my receipt to update my points. I got a sample of the Hourglass but I got the wrong shade. So I need to be color matched for that one again. I have combination skin and that would likely work. 

I will get a sample of the KVD primer, and try once more. If it doesn't work I will return it. I always give makeup at least 2 - 3 chances to prove it's worth then if it's not working I will return it. Sometimes makeup goes on crappy the first time then I adjust something and it works nicely. 

mafan

Hi Carmen,

Well that makes sense.  It's certainly worth trying more than once.  I think it's silly, too, to have a makeup that only works with their primer but more than one person told me that so it's worth a shot.

The MUFE HD has a huge color range so getting a match there shouldn't be too bad.  The Hourglass has a much smaller range (what I tried yesterday seemed a bit too yellow for me, but it was a sample from the crazy foundation sample time, and I tried the 3 different medium foundations because I'm still too dark for my regular foundation after my vacation).

BTW, you don't have to go back to the store to get your points fixed.  If you've got a receipt and the points weren't added, just PM one of the mods (see who seems to be working today when they start posting) and send them a picture of your receipt.  I usually do it through Facebook and they're great about fixing points.

Good luck finding something that works for you!

annonymous1

(0) Hearts

I think its the formula, i have found it does the same thing to me, it settles around my nose and my cheeks look cakey, what i've done is use a setting powder pre-foundation so the powder sets into your skin so the foundation will just lay on top, it really has helped me alot :smileyhappy: 

also! i use the urban decay b6 prep spray before ANYTHING it helps, i've seen my makeup stay on longer when i use it.

Carmen1986

(0) Hearts

Hey girl,

Thanks for your imput, definitely interesting way of looking at applying this lol. 

I tried the B6 and my face turned bright red and felt like it was on fire. 

annonymous1

[ Edited ]

Omg! thats crazy, i mean it worked for me...lol

well i used the Too faced primed and poreless powder before the foundation.

i mean personally i use the Makeup forever HD foundation everyday, i use the KVD for weekends when i'm out with my friends or when i want to play with my makeup, i don't think i could use it everyday, especially if you work somewhere fast paced!

but if your looking for something full coverage the tarte amazonian clay foundation is really good, and it stays on for AT LEAST 8 hours, which is amazing, its also full coverage enough to cover redness/scars/blemishes, plus its made with amazonian clay, so when you take it off your skin feels really soft :smileyhappy:

Carmen1986

(0) Hearts

Yeah, that's why I am thinking of keeping it for OUTSIDE of work. I was embarrased. I came into work and people we're like 

'' OMG CARMEN ! where are you going ?. Your makeup looks wonderful '' 

9 PM rolls around and I look like cake batter was on my face, and I washed it all off before leaving work. 

I'm thinking of going back to my MUFE F&B because it was my go to for a long time. However the artist who I go to at Sephora said it's too light and not enough coverage so we tried to go to KVD Lock-It. I was excited because I wanted to test this baby out. Boy was I blown away lol. Not in a good way either. It'd be nice for like a special event or someplace where you wanna look very flawless or well made up. Definitely not for work I agree. I doubt ill send it back though.

Oh and yeah my face was red, more then it normally is. I was shocked because I was thinking this isn't normal. So I stopped using it, returned it and yeah lol. 

Candy357

Personally I liked it at first and then after using it a few weeks,
it starting crackling on my nose and chin. Just those two spots.
Through out the day I would have to fix it, by dabbing my fingers and
moving it around, like re-applying it! It got so annoying.
So I am using Mac Foundation, but I am finding out, it's too thick, even
using a small amount.
PLUS side, my face is not oily anymore, Kat Von D made my super OILY, I would
have to dab it alot.
But now I am in the same dilemma as you, looking for another foundation.
lol

Carmen1986

I'm thinking that I might keep it for weekend wear MAYBE. However I work in a hospital in housekeeping and my job is extremely fast paced, and I got a lot to do and I sweat profusely. I looked like I had a thick layer of cake batter, I wanted to like it. I might give it another try, if it turns out like crap I ain't keeping it. Kat can make it look flawless on her but on those of us who try to make it look good it goes messy. I honestly couldn't be bothered touching it up either. I had no time last night either. 

viviene23

I have no input on Kat Von D lock it because I have never tried it before but I just wanna ask if you have the same problem with Marc Jacobs genius gel foundation. You mentioned on your other thread that you have a sample of it...how did you find it?

Carmen1986

(0) Hearts

Hey there,

I've not used the Marc Jacobs Genius Gel yet !. It was used in my first 90 min consultation, but it didn't last because no setting spray was applied. I will try it out on a weekend when I am not going to work. I think that between the oils in my skin and my excessive sweating it makes things worse. I don't know I feel kinda disappointed, I had high hopes for this stuff. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 22 replies
  • 15 hearts
  • 13 in conversation
    • kenny
    • sephoramusthave
    • lyravega
    • annonymous1
    • mafan
    • viviene23