ayen85

Monistat anti chafing gel as primer?

[ Edited ]

Has anyone tried this?

Im on my looongest no buy challenge,and i really dont want to repurchase my beloved benefit porefessional . i have combination skin and most of the ingredients are similiar,do you think this is a good alternative for benefit?

delanegarcia

Re: Monistat anti chafing gel as primer?

(0) Hearts

I know quite a few people whom swear by the Monistat Anti-Chafing! I am afraid about the chemicals & skin absorption of these , but I guess there is nothing to fret about! Let us know how you like it!

beautylovingirl

I would suggest you try a Loreal Primer they are the same company that makes LancΓ΄me.:heart:

LariTheLoud

Another alternative is to use Maybelline Baby Skin (always located near Baby Lips), which is considered the drug store 'dupe' for the Porefessional. It was harder to find for awhile, but now I'm seeing it around at all of my local stores. Give that one a try!

mberteig

I've used it and like it a lot, actually.  It's in my top 3 primers, along with Hourglass mineral veil and Laura Geller Spackle.  I have dry skin, with large pores and some redness.  Anyway, it works well for me!

xoxcrystal

yesss, i actually use this as a primer too. it's more similar to the smashbox primer i think but i didn't compare it to benefit porefessional. i use this more than my hourglass primer actually because i think my hourglass primer can be drying sometimes. compared to the smashbox and the hourglass primer, this is definitely a cheaper alternative and it does work. 

mafan

Monistat makes a variety of products.  It sounds like their anti-chafing gel is similar to a primer; no idea whether it works or not.

You definitely do not want to be using any product similar to their original treatment, which contains Miconazole nitrat.  That would really be bad for you, and the different concentrations should only be used appropriately for a certain number of days. (This used to be prescription only medicine, as some of us older women remember, and probably where the "Oh, no" concern is coming from.)

ayen85

(0) Hearts

Thank u so much for the heads up mafan!

ayen85

(0) Hearts

Thankyou ladies for the advice! appreciate it much!

jozkid

I have the monistat chafing gel, although I use it for its intended purpose which has nothing to do with the nether regions. It's supposed to be used for body chafing, like when you run and stuff, not.... there.

Anyway, it has a nice finish, almost powdery in feel. And I do believe the ingredients are pretty similar. Personally, I use real face primers, but there seems to be a lot of people who use it on their faces.

evno

If you were in a pinch, I'm sure it might do, but I really don't recommend using it regularly. It is designed for areas other than the face, so it might irritate your skin. If you want a cheaper alternative, you should look into drugstore primers. I heard that the Nyx and Rimmel primers are on par with Sephora ones. 

talinder

The ingredients are very similar, but they are not present in the same amounts/concentrations. This means they aren't really interchangeable. I finally gave in to the Monistat over the summer and it was not magical for me.

kbmatthews

I'm not sure, to be honest. I've read bloggers use it, even Glamour magazine beauty bloggers have. There seems to be a lot of success with it, and many of the ingredients ARE the same as a primer. I think for a short term solution it would be okay, but I wouldn't trust it long term personally.... I'm the kind of person who would want to check out all the ingredients that are different and make sure there would be no long term effects.

Assuming there are no ingredients that would do so (I mean, the product IS meant for skin), then the choice is ultimately yours. 

I can see why it would be  so appealing to use ($8 vs $40 for a primer), though!

ayen85

(0) Hearts

Oh yeah the glamour article was the one i was reading. im usually so picky with My makeup choices but after recently going over my collection i figured i spent so so so much i could've bought myself a chanel bag! thus the 4 month no-buy challenge. gonna try it And hopefully this works fingers crossed!

elaine4425

Absolutely. Although when I'm in the store, I say I use the smashbox primer.... I don't need more people thinking I'm crazy.

I used the smashbox primer for months and months. Absolutely loved it, hated the price. Saw on pinterest (super legit source, right?) that the monistate was essentially the same thing. The only ingrediants that are missing are included in SUCH MINUTE AMOUNTS in the smashbox that you won't even notice. 

I did a blind test on myself to see if I could tell the difference. Had a friend put each into a different sample jar. Used both for two weeks. I couldn't even rate one higher than the other, they were that similar.

Save the money, buy the va-jay-jay cream. 

ayen85

(0) Hearts

Bahahaha! Va jayjay cream! Lol. Thanks elain4425!

elaine4425

Here's a comparison of the ingrediants:

smashbox photo finish primer
Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Trisiloxane, Silica, Dimethicone/Vinyldimethicone Crosspolymer, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Extract, Propylene Glycol, Water (Aqua, Eau), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Cola Acuminata Seed Extract, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract

monistat soothing care chafing relief powder-gel
Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Tocopheryl Acetate, Trisiloxane

*Complete personal opinion here* The only reason I think that Smashbox has more ingredients included is so that they can claim it is moisturizing and fancier than what it is.

A product we make at the plant I work in claims to be hydrating because it includes vitamin E and Aloe.... when we make that product, we add in 15 GRAMS of aloe in a 5 THOUSAND KILOGRAM batch. But we still get to list it on the ingredient list! Fun facts :smileyhappy:

ayen85

(0) Hearts

Oh now ur making me wanna buy the monistat ASAP!  πŸ˜«πŸ˜«πŸ˜«πŸ˜«πŸ˜«

jozkid

One thing worth noting... the Smashbox has cola acuminata seed extract in it, which is caffeine. I myself cannot tolerate caffeine, especially near my eyes, so that's significant to me (don't know how many others it affects). It is an ingredient that sneaks into many products. It's in a ton of eye creams, too. And orange soda (Sunkist specifically)! So the next time you give it to your kids, it's not just the sugar they're jacked up on!

beautylovingirl

This is absolutely not for your face, this is meant for an area that is nothing like the skin on your face I strongly suggest that you don't use this for a primer.

BuxomBabe80

(0) Hearts

I agree! I would not put that on my face. We don't know the specific amounts of the ingredients being used. And Monistat is not as effective as primer, hands down.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 22 replies
  • 27 hearts
  • 13 in conversation
    • mberteig
    • mafan
    • talinder
    • beautylovingirl
    • xoxcrystal
    • ayen85