puglover05

Making foundation last!! Tried way too many brands!

I need a full coverage foundation and powder that will last. I have tried so many brands I have lost count. I love the Tarte Amazonian clay foundation but within about 3-4 hours it is caking and rubbing off. If I even touch my face there goes my make up. I even use UD All Nighter setting spray. I have tried: Clinique, Tarte, Estee Lauder, MAC, UD Naked Skin, Lancome, just to name a few. I just don't know what else to do. I have fairly dry skin. I have also tried applying with fingers, brushes, sponges. I just don't know what else to try....

puglover05

Re: Making foundation last!! Tried way too many brands!

(0) Hearts

so which kind if kat von d's and what kinds should be used

shesayz0217

Match your primer to your foundation. Water-based primer with water based foundation, silicone with silicone, and oil with oil. 

puglover05

(0) Hearts

So I tried Givenchy Mister Mat and used Laura Merciers setting powder very lightly and set with UD all Nighter and about 5 hours later I looked cakey and foundation was blotchy and sliding off my face in spots. I am ready to give up.

I wash with philosophy, exfoliate with philosophy use cliniques mild clarifying toner then their moisture surge then  givenchy mister mat apply foundation with the UD optical blurring brush. Set with Laura Mercier translucent powder using UD finishing brush and then UD all nighter. In between moisturizing and setting powder and spray I do wait at least 5-10 minutes.

beautylovingirl

I would just use oil blotting papers if that's the only place your having an issue with is your T-Zone.

puglover05

(0) Hearts

I wonder if the white version of the too faced primed and poreless I think it's called primer that's oik free would be alright.

puglover05

(0) Hearts

My phone is not cooperating. Too faced prepped and prime poreless I think it's called the white oil free version. Would using a mattifying setting powder be too much for my dry spots? Thank goodness for returns!

beautylovingirl

Try a mattifying primer there's a difference and just oil free and mattifying. Choose from primers like Givenchy's Mister Mat, Korress mattifying primer or you could even use Kat's setting spray.

puglover05

(0) Hearts

What would be the best primer to use then with the lock it foundation? I recently tries the foundation and used too faceds pink bottle primer with laura merciers translucent setting powder and still a few hours later in my t zone felt aa though it was sliding off my face in spots.

SportyGirly125

I have dry skin too.  I use Korres face primer, then Make Up For Ever HD foundation and then set it with the Make Up For Ever Pro Finish powder and spritz on MAC Fix+ on top and my makeup last 8 or more hours with a little touch up.  I have an oily t zone so I use Smashbox anti shine under my primer and it helps.

beautylovingirl

@puglover- Sign up for an email notification to let you know when it is back in stock.

puglover05

(0) Hearts

it does! now to just wait for it to come back in stock!! my local sephora doesnt have it either!!

kissXmakeup

(0) Hearts

Kat Von D Lock it Tattoo foundation girl! I too have dry skin; I have tried Tarte's Amazonian Clay along with Clinique, MUFE, Urban Decay and various drugstore foundations. I have to say that Kat Von D is my favorite out of all of them. It lasts all day and night! I am waiting for it to be back in stock to purchase more of it. (: Hope this helps!

puglover05

(0) Hearts

Thank you all for the advice I will give these some trys!

shinyla

I have had the same issues! The key I found that helped the most was setting up a good, consistant skin care regimen that kept my skin moisturized but kept oil under control. (The oil and shine seemed to be the biggest culprit of making my foundation cake off or basically get on everything.)

I start with a good amount of foundation primer (I like UD, Sephora and Clarins primers), and then apply my liquid foundation with my fingers or a sponge like the Beauty Blender. I let it set for a few minutes, then apply a matching foundation powder over the liquid foundation. (I use Tarte's Amazonian Clay liquid foundation and Tarte's Agent Provocateur powder.) I let that set for a minute, and then use a liberal amount of UD's all-nighter setting spray.

During the day, if I notice any shine on my face, I blot with Boscia blotting linens. I use my Tarte powder for touch-ups if needed (which are rare now thankfully.) Sometimes even just a swipe of loose translucent powder can help keep your foundation from totally sliding off around mid-day. Hope this helps!

connieconcon

THIS!  The right skin care routine and the right primer are so key!  

I've had good luck with Ole Henriksen Sheer Transformation and Laura Mercier Secret Finish Mattifying (not advertised as a primer, but works really well as one!).  

I also have had really great results with Cover FX's liquid foundation recently.  I was using Bare Minerals but my skin has changed a lot and Cover FX is working better.  I actually have been using Cover FX as foundation, and a layer of Bare Minerals Matte foundation patted over my most oily spots and then set it all with Mineral Veil.  I don't use my fingers because that seems to make my face more greasy.

I hope you find something soon!

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

@puglover- That's doesn't  have the staying powder you might need but go ahead and try it out you may love it and if not you can always return it. Good luck and I hope you find something.:smileyhappy:

puglover05

Thank you! Unfortunately looks like not much picking from online and my sephora is a little ways away. I had pondered MUFE trying the complexion kit.

beautylovingirl

[ Edited ]

@puglover05- So more combination than dry. Try Kat Von D's rehab elixir primer or her setting spray along with her foundation you not going to get any better staying power.

puglover05

(0) Hearts

I have tried multiple primers. Smashbox hydrating,both of Tarte's too faced primed and poreless, lancome's primer. I would say I get ever so slightly oily in my t zone.

beautylovingirl

[ Edited ]

Are you using a primer before your foundation? If not I would start there. Is your skin so dry where you have no oil at all or do you get oily in your T-Zone? Kat Von's D foundation is a great one. Amazing staying power and last forever. She also has a setting spray and if your wanting a finishing powder instead the MUFE HD finishing powder is the best. Only apply a small amount for your whole face and roll the powder with your brush as your applying it on your face. What you have in the lid after opening it is all you need. Hope this helps!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 14 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • connieconcon
    • kenny
    • shinyla
    • shesayz0217
    • beautylovingirl
    • SportyGirly125