tenleye1

Makeup on a ten year old?

My daughter is 10 1/2 and thinks she needs to start wearing foundation. What would be the best kind to start her with?

kittichick

Re: Makeup on a ten year old?

Like so many others here, my knee-jerk reaction is to say that 10 years old is just too young to start wearing foundation. Maybe some lip gloss, but foundation is too much.

But after reading through many of these posts, I was reminded that sometimes there are special situations that could justify it. So in broad terms, I echo what many others have already said: help her develop and maintain a good skin care routine. If she really wants foundation, start with a tinted moisturizer or BB/CC cream. And do make sure she washes her face at night. 

But try to be aware of why she wants to wear makeup and help guide her in having a positive self-image. Does she think she needs makeup because she thinks she's ugly? Does she want to wear it because all the cool girls at school do? 

Teresaanne92

My mom let me where makeup when I was 10 (11 years ago!). Lipstick, foundation, eyeshadow- anything I wanted, because she knew that if she said no regardless of the reason (lets be honest, kids don't like the word no or care for the reasons! haha) I was going to wear it anyway- and probably incorrectly and use my friends makeup which is super unsanitary. But on the condition that I learn how to wear it, I took care of my skin, continued to get good grades, did not share with my friends ,and once she bought my original 'kit'- I would replenish he rest with my earned money. She and my grandma took me to our BX to buy Clinique and Estee Lauder which is what I originally started off wearing. The ladies their taught me how to wear it and I came home with tons of makeup. I don't think their is a 'too young' for makeup depending on the reasons and the application. I didn't/don't have self esteem problems, no skin problems. I just really loved doing my hair and makeup, (my grandma was a makeup artist) and I love dressing up. If there is a self esteem problem ( bullies, unhappy with the way she looks etc...), or a skin care problem I would deff address those first because makeup will not fix what is internal and a child really (in my opinion) needs to learn self-worth, tolerance and to ignore bullies before any self-enhancement! :smileyhappy:
When/if I have kids I will implement the same set of 'guidelines'. If I wanted more makeup after that I had to use my allowance, mow a neighbors lawn, rake leaves, detail the cars, clean the garage, wash the cars, babysit (when I got little older!), garage sales! You name it I probably did it when I was a kid. 
The only thing I wasn't allowed to do was dye or highlight my hair until I was 16 and had a job. The way my parents saw it was if I was old enough to make the decision to alter my hair then I was old enough to have a job and pay for it myself. And I completely agree! :smileyhappy:

What it *DID* teach me to do was a proper skin care routine. I probably was the only kid using masks, moisturizers, and exfoliating treatment and thus still have excellent skin. It taught me to bring out my natural beauty even though I did, and still do enjoy experimenting with bright colors. 

Just my opinion though! I would also recommend starting with Clinique or Estee Lauder. Or even just going to a makeup store and having the MUA go over different foundations (or BB Cream which I highly recommend!) with you and why they would be good for her. And at the same time going over a good skin care routine, and enforcing it if she does wear makeup! :smileyhappy:

marydiva

Wow! Your mom's guidelines are AMAZING! I'm printing those out and hopefully I'll remember to use them for my own kids someday. (Haha, that'll be a long way off - I'm barely 18, but hopefully I'll have a daughter at some point.) 

I don't think I've ever run into such reasonable, well-thought out makeup rules. I don't think 10 is a bad age to start - plenty of other 10 year olds are wearing makeup (and doing it wrong) and I'd rather my daughter learn what she's doing before she hits high school. 

Skincare is so important I'm I'm so glad your mom and grandma implemented that in you. 

I love all your mom's rules, even the dyeing of the hair rule. :smileyhappy: You were lucky to have such a great parent! 

ry22

I would start with a lightweight tinted moisturizer. Try to avoid ones that say "illuminating" or have tiny bits of glitter because those look greasy without powder on top. I like Laura Mercier for myself, but the $43 price tag may be high to spend on a ten year old

But at that age, all I wore was lip balm and skincare. Washing her face morning and night and following that up with a moisturizer would probably be sufficient. I'm a seventeen year old and even I think kids shouldn't worry about makeup in fourth grade, but you're the mom. At this point, you have the opportunity to teach her that good hygiene and skincare are better, easier alternatives to a face full of makeup.

agd000

I'm sorry but that is absolutely, positively way too early to wear foundation. You'll only be making her skin worse. She's still developing. Do not allow her to wear foundation. She is a child, not even a pre-teen yet! She should be wearing no more than lipgloss at this point. MAYBE sparkly eyeshadow for bigger occasions but wearing foundation at 10 is ridiculous.

Nicrohr

[ Edited ]

If you think make up is the right choice at her age, Bare Minerals offers really natural coverage that is breathable. it is easy to apply using a "buffing" brush, or use a damp beauty blender to spot apply on higher coverage areas.

It is also reasonably priced compared to other options. It does not contain silicones or some other objectionable ingredients, though no cosmetic is perfect on this score. It works well on my very sensitive skin.

If she has ance, please please see a dermatologist (or several to find one you like) as a step that is even more important long term than make up.  I'm sure others have said these things already, but that's my two cents.

Tiny online brand Aromaleigh Cosmetics also has good things that might be nice for a young person, and are very "natural" and avoid some of the worst ingredients.  You can't buy this in a store though, they do have a good sample program to try at home.

1930sbella

I personally think she is way to young to be worrying about such things. She is young and still has that fresh face and skin, she will want to keep that for as long as possible. Constantly using cover-up or foundation on your skin can lead to more oil and acne problems. Foundation is one of the most annoying things in the line of makeup in my opinion, stay away from it as long as you can and you will have healthier skin. I am in my mid teens and never wear it. I would try to dissuade your daughter from worrying about those sort of things at such a young age. It starts to look ridiculous when girls that young try to wear makeup.

rose8989

As a child who had acne and who's mother never let her wear makeup or teach me how to wear it, I applauded you. Starting with proper skin care, then teaching her how to use concealer with light foundation is one of the best things you can do for her. Dark lipstick and adult colors can always wait, but teaching her how to enhance her natural appearance is one of the best things for her self esteem you can ever do. just telling her she is beautiful as she is if she has skin issues will not solve her teasing and bulling. This is not about making her look like a adult, it's about letting her face her peers with confidence. I was so desperate I stole makeup and went to school early to put it on. When there is a will, there is a way, and it's better she gets her guidance from you. 

calamityjane85

Someone might have said this and I missed it idk, but just make sure if she starts wearing foundation she takes it off every night, and doesn't get lazy and leave it on. It could clog her pores and start another whole ugly round of acne. When I was a teen I would stay out late, crash and say phooey on washing my face before I passed out asleep.  A no-no indeed. 

AKRinNY

I would recommend a pressed powder. Easy to apply, light coverage, can contain SPF, and cuts down on shine (since most girls have started the hormone roller coaster of puberty by this point).

I would also second (third? fourth?) the idea of a skincare routine. If acne is the reason for her wanting foundation, I think treating it through skincare is better than covering it with foundation. 

I applaud you you for helping her out here. My mom never took care of herself  at all (internally or externally) and therefore couldn't teach me anything about skincare or cosmetics. I spent a good portion of my early teens with too-dark concealer caked under my eyes, trying to cover my dark circles. I would have killed for an adult to help me pick things out and apply makeup and take care of myself.

anaa

Nicely worded response.  Kudos for recognizing her parenting skills.

AKRinNY

Thanks. Contrary to many other responders, I feel like the OP doesn't need to give us her entire backstory and all her daughter's details in order for us to answer the question asked. I'll assume she is parenting her daughter and they've already discussed everything between the two of them.

anaa

That's true.  I was 11 when I developed full blown acne, so I wouldn't make any assumptions because this person is 10 1/2.  Sounds very young but people develop very differently.

wingatprsct

I agree with beautytester.  Most girls that age want sparkle and color.  There must be some underlying reason as to why she thinks she needs foundation at such an early age.  By the way, there is a big difference between a 10 and 12 yr old!  If there are no skincare issues (ance, scars, or birthmarks) there may be some insecurity issues.  Freckles are not a reason to wear foundation!  But if she is being teased about them, a conversion about bullying and her own personal beauty is necessary.  I would first get her started on a skincare routine (most definitely cleansing at night) and SPF in the morning.  This may be enough to satisfy her need for self-improvement.

Nitabug13

Personally i think she is wayyy to young for foundation. If she is beginning to have acne issues Try University medicals cleansing treatments. there is a cleanser toner and moisturizer it worked wonders for me. they have a sensitive skin version that you may want to try first to see how her skin reacts.

yazmin

A tinted moisturizer. That would be my approach to it. Along with some lipgloss, or tinted lipgloss.

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

Hmm, interesting. Most little girl wants something sparkly and pretty and starts with sheer lipgloss. If she is asking for foundation, does she have any skincare concerns like acne, uneven skintone, large pores or redness? Most of them can be taken care of with a good skincare regimen, with spf during the day, and she's at the perfect age to start. Let us know her skin type/condition then we will be able to suggest some skincare/makeup that's appropriate without overwhelming her skin, or feel free to pm me. =)

And sometimes young girls think they have plenty of problems when  they look fine and they are feeling insecure or over critical, maybe due to external influences and it may be good to have a little chat with her. I remember when I was a young teen, why I want something is sometimes different from why my parents think I want something, and shutting me down based on their own assumption without attempting to really listen/understand me was very frustrating Even when they meant well and yes, fine, are right half the time. =P

calamityjane85

(0) Hearts

I agree with starting her on a good skincare routine,  I think its better to fix the problem than conceal it.  

TenIeye, I would do a bb cream to start with if it was my daughter, who is not far behind at age 9.

annonymous1

Personally, i don't think theres anything wrong with a 10 year old wearing makeup, why? i have a similar story too Beautylove02, when i was about 14 i was traumatized with really bad acne on my forehead, my mom never taught me about skincare but she taught me about foundation, concealer, and other ways to make it look less red and noticeable, everyone around her was criticizing her for letting her child daughter wear makeup, but i couldnt have been more grateful, the teasing stopped and eventually with the right stuff the acne went away and i continued to wear the makeup. 

But i do agree with some other things people have said, like teaching a good skincare routine (it doesent matter if she has acne yet, just a good neutrogena face wash will do) and not sharing makeup. 

for the foundation i would recomend the Clinique Moisture Surge CC Cream, or the tarte BB Cream, there both good for sensative, young skin, and maybe some lip gloss

missey1973

Marydiva, I don't think you are being rude. Thank you for replying. Like someone else posted, you cannot tell what type of emotion is behind a post and with only a few sentences to express something it can be hard sometimes. I think you and I are reading her post in different ways. The way I read it, she is asking what kind of foundation to start her daughter with and my opinion is none at all. And my opinion is based only off what she posted. In my head, I picture this little girl plastering KVD lock it foundation (because I love that foundation and it is high coverage) all over her face . Other posters may vision a 10 year old putting a few drops of a sheer foundation covering up a blemish.

I think Quotidianus and I have perfect cell phone scenarios. If all someone had posted was what type of cell phone should I get a 10 year old. Some people would have suggested none. But If Quotidianus had posted her situation people would have given different opinions and suggested great phones for her son to use. If I had posted my 10 year old loose everything, has to be told every morning to brush his teeth and then you have to make him go back and do it again with toothpaste, and getting him to take a bath a few times a week is a war. More people would have told me to get him soap not a phone. HAHA

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 70 replies
  • 282 hearts
  • 43 in conversation
    • kalex
    • prosopon
    • killahbabe
    • shyvicki
    • anaa
    • spoiledbrat