tenleye1

Makeup on a ten year old?

My daughter is 10 1/2 and thinks she needs to start wearing foundation. What would be the best kind to start her with?

shyvicki

Re: Makeup on a ten year old?

(0) Hearts

Sounds a bit like me before I started becoming interested in boys. Before then, I would avoid using toothpaste and just use a wet toothbrush because I didn't like the taste of toothpaste. I also could've cared less if I used shampoo or not. After, daily showers with shampoo, conditioner, soap, face wash, and a wet/dry electric razor were a necessity. I went from five minute showers to half-hour. Drove my brother crazy.

Now I do all that for myself. These days I'm back to not using shampoo daily but that's because my hair is on the dry side and colored. I also use Venus Breeze and use a whitening toothpaste twice a day with an electric toothbrush.

jaimelove

your 10 year old sounds so much like mine! she fake brushes her teeth every morning, despite knowing that i'll check. and once i get her in the bath, she just gets her hair wet and fake washes it! once it starts drying and i can see that it's not been washed, she has to take a second bath. one of these days, she'll learn :smileywink:

she does have a cell phone, though. because i want her to be able to contact me while at her dad's (too bad he hides it from her and doesn't let her call me!) and because she started walking to school this year and it makes me so nervous! it has no bells and whistles, it only texts and calls. nothing else :smileyhappy: no games, no camera! 

BeautyLove02

Also, for the people who are judging...read the question again. She asked what the best kind of foundation to start with would be. Not what you thought about the situation.

BeautyLove02

My daughter is 13 now and when she was 10 she developed very bad, inflamed acne. She wanted to wear foundation to cover it up so she wouldn't get made fun of so much. It was awful for her to go through. I set her up with a skincare regimen from a dermatologist which helped a little bit. Eventually, after her coming home from school crying every day, I showed her how to wear concealer and foundation. I think we would all like to say," I would NEVER let my 10-year old wear makeup"...but never say never. Please don't judge other people...that's not what BT is about. This is a place people should be able to come for advice and friendship...not judgments. Don't act high and mighty-its not pretty :smileyhappy:

I think the best makeup to start your daughter with would be something light and easily blended...BB cream or tinted moisturizer, like others have said. Take her in to get matched so its not too dark for her. Concealer (if she has acne) could be just the thing. If you show her how it works, maybe she will be happier with that. Also, Bare Minerals has really good foundations that seem to be safer for the skin. They claim you could sleep in it!  Also, if you decide on foundation, her face might be flat and colorless. A very light color, very light texture blush might be something to think about. Maybe a cream blush? Another important thing, as others have said, is teaching her to wash it off. Tell her if she doesn't clean it off properly every night then you will revoke her privilege to wear makeup. That's what I had to tell my daughter and it worked. I had to explain to her that her skin would get 10Xs worse if she slept in it. Also talk to her about not sharing her makeup and show her images online of people who have gotten infections of the eyes or skin from sharing makeup with other people.

anaa

Thanks for sharing your experience.  I developed acne when I was 11.  It's something that I struggled with my entire life and have the scars to prove it! 

missey1973

(0) Hearts

Marydiva, Tenley posted on this forum and asked us a question. Giving an honest opinion is not judging. Based on the information (the two sentences) Tenely gave us I do think it is wrong to put foundation on a 10 year old. That is my opinion. If she had give more info then my opinion may have been different.  But she asked and it is my opinion, it is not judging. There are different ages and backgrounds of people on this board. Times have also changed. Where I grew up, 10 year olds didn't even know what makeup was. When I post on here I want honest opinions, I don't want everyone to just agree.

lilyyy

"Wrong" is a strong word for makeuup. In this situation, there is no right or wrong, just preference.

marydiva

She asked what the best kind of foundation would be start her ten 1/2 year old daughter with. It's not really our place to question why she's making this choice for her daughter. There's nothing wrong with giving an honest opinion. But I don't really think she asked if we thought it was right to give her daughter foundation. It seemed like she was asking what KIND of foundation to start her with. Perhaps I'm reading into the question wrong, but that's just my point of view. :smileyhappy:

Again - there's nothing wrong with making choices for your own family, your own 10 year olds, etc. Every person has a unique situation, and we should respect that. 

(I'm not trying to be rude, just explain what I meant. :smileyhappy:)

makeupdirt

Bare minerals !!!!!! And for a pink glow benefit bene tint !!!

sunflower837

I agree with making sure your daughter has a solid skin care routine down for her age, if she doesn't have one already.

As for foundation, I would try a tinted moisturizer or a BB cream first.  Those will give her a bit of coverage, while still allowing her skin to shine through.  I am not sure if she has hit "that" age of breakouts, but if she has, introduce her to a good concealer, as well.  My BFF hit puberty at the age of 10 and was seeing a derm for acne at 11 - if your daughter is in this situation, let her use foundation!  BUUUUUT be sure to teach her how to get it off (and use products that are not harmful to her skin)

Londonlover101

(0) Hearts

@quotidianus I completely agree! and yes I love that your son is expressing himself, you should never take that away from a child but I feel in this situation its being used to cover up a childs face not express themselves, sorry if I offended anybody

Londonlover101

Im all up for skincare, since whats wrong with taking care of yourself? but when I was 10 I was in fifth grade, your daughter is still in elementary school im thirteen and im going to high school next year and when my mum told me I couldn't wear any makeup for elelmentary or middle shcool,I didn't have a problem with it Im glad my mom didn't encourage me to start covering up my face. and that's exactly what your doing, covering up your childs face. I don't care if there is this unspoken rule where im not allowed to express my personal opinion, but im going to express it. also Im not saying your parenting wrong but when girls that age start wearing makeup they get a higher opinion of themselves and think its okay to put others down, ive seen it when I was that age and at my age today too.

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

The unspoken rule is not you are not allowed to express your personal opinion, it is to express it in a respectful manner that does not seem pushy and takes other people's personal experience into account. And it is much harder than it sounds, took me a couple of years to get the hang of it, and even now I still get into *facepalm* situations not because of what I was saying, but how I was saying it.

quotidianus

[ Edited ]

opinions are great, and this is how we share and learn from others.  everyone is unique and filters the world through their own experiences so, while you and i might sit through the exact same film, i might react to it entirely differently than you.  here is where we start learning empathy, and try to see it from someone else's perspective.

i think it's great that you're giving the perspective of someone that is very close to the age.  still, social norms, responses, etc. will vary from place to place and what may have been a negative where you live might be a neutral where they are.  (eg, my son often wears dark nail lacquer.  the city we last lived in, he was harassed all the time.  where we live now, a lot of guys do it and it's not a big deal.)

lilyyy

(0) Hearts

My male friend wore nail polish in school and now he is a very accomplished makeup artist!

Urbie

Aw, when my fiance was in high school he used to wear nail polish all the time because he though it was cool looking- all kinds of colors like blues and purples.  Of course, he lived in NYC so it really wasn't a big deal- glad that your son is not being picked on for expressing himself!

ladymeag

My daughter is 10. I agree with the others who have said a few things: impress the importance of not sharing makeup with her friends, even her "closest" friends; I found out mine had been trading Lip Smackers flavors with her friends. 

Setting her up with a skin care routine and maybe a BB cream or a tinted moisturizer with SPF sounds like a great plan. Telling her she flat can't have it with no explanation is likely to backfire into her borrowing make up from her friends and not removing it properly, leading to skin care issues. "You don't need it" isn't an explanation, either. Explain why she doesn't need it, what it's used for, and ask why she's feeling that she does need it. Perhaps there's another issue you'll discover you need to get to the bottom of or it's a simple as "my friends wear it." 

In any case, I'd set her up with something fragrance and paraben free like Boscia's BB cream.  

prosopon

With putting on makeup comes the responsibility of removing makeup.  I was 12 when I started wearing foundation and I did not understand the importance  of cleansing and taking care of my skin.  My face, which I was trying to cover imperfections, was probably the worse for wear because of my makeup habits.

I agree with what has been said about starting a good skin care routine before getting into full face makeup.  A bb cream or tinted moisturizer would be a better option than foundation.

missey1973

My 10 year old thinks he needs a cell phone... my answer, you cannot remember to brush your teeth do you really think you are responsible enough for a phone. My kids think I am meaner then the Grinch. To me that means I must be doing my job. I am not a friend I am a parent. I am thankful I don't have girls. Tenleyne, at 10, foundation should not even be an option. Skin care is what she should be learning.

quotidianus

my son had a cell phone at 10.  my son also has asperger's (i.e., he's high-functioning autistic).  he had it in case he got lost, or in case he was starting to feel a meltdown coming on ... he could call me or the six other numbers programmed in.

at twelve, he asked if he could get a mani/pedi with me.  before saying 'no' i asked him why.  he said that it looked like fun, and i was always happy after i'd gone.  so he went with me and my friends.  when he ended up with black nail polish, i almost flipped but then took a breath and thought... whatever.  no harm.  but i did explain to him how others might perceive it.

each child experiences and expresses their worlds in ways that make sense to them.  it doesn't sound like tenleye1's daughter is wanting a tots-and-tiara look, but foundation for some reason.  perhaps she's already discussed the 'whys' with her little one and sees no harm in this, and she came to a forum seeking advice so that her daughter would have something good.  we shouldn't infer a lack of parenting from her question, as we don't know the particulars of her or her daughter's situation.

marydiva

Well said. It is not our place to judge why tenleye1 is here to ask her question. No one on this forum should tell her that her parenting is "wrong" or that her daughter shouldn't wear makeup. That's not our job. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 70 replies
  • 282 hearts
  • 43 in conversation
    • kalex
    • prosopon
    • killahbabe
    • shyvicki
    • anaa
    • spoiledbrat