MrsChop2012721

Makeup done professionally

Ok, so I've never had a professionalist do my makeup before (well for my wedding I did, but I have never been shown how to properly apply makeup), I am wanting some advice on what I need to say when I go in and have them work their magic and hopefully find me a foundation that doesn't leave my face so oily!!!

Mollycj

Re: Makeup done professionally

(0) Hearts

I definitely agree with the using of Mat Velvet, it works wonders! Also just go to Sephora there are so many workers willing to help you.

HMNewbie

I had a makeover for the first time in decades (aacckk!) a few weeks ago at Sephora in Charlotte, NC.  I admit, I was nervous.  Wasn't sure what to expect or what to choose as far as product, so I just told Bea (who was awesome!) this is who I am, this is what I do for a living, I'm allergic to red dye - seriously general stuff.  Things like, I'm an accountant so don't even think about a cat eye look.  Beyond that, I just told her "You do this.  This is your job.  I trust you."  I let her pick colors I never would've chosen by myself and wow.  Not a totally different new look, but definitely me - only better.  She took her time, answered every question.  It really was a great experience.  Relax and enjoy!

ghkim

(0) Hearts

the skin79 pink one is supposed to be mattifying. you can find it on amazon. it is only one shade though so i would only recommend if you have fair to medium skin. it does adjust slightly to your skin tone after you apply it but it won't be a perfect match. i find though, then when i use mine, it is close enough, and i add bronzer on top to make it look more natural.

ghkim

(0) Hearts

i agree with above - mufe mat velvet is supposed to be great for oily skin. also, have you tried any of the bb creams for oily/acne skin? if you have fair to medium skin, some of the korean bb creams are good for this.

rtista

(0) Hearts

Which korean bb creams do you recommend for oily skin? 

MrsChop2012721

(0) Hearts

Thanks everyone!!! This has helped me out a lot!!! Yes I want to try to find a full face of makeup for myself. I was wondering, I don't want to just come right out and buy something I want to sample the product before I buy is there any way that I can do that? I'm just wanting like everyday makeup, something that is light and comfortable, yet versatile so for work and play. I would like something that would give me a matte finish all day, I'm tired of having to blot my face every couple of hours at work because my face is so oily!!

annonymous1

let her know that! let whoever does your makeup know what your looking for and they should help you & explain everything, sephora is usually pretty good with samples so they should be able to provide you with a sample of whatever your artist uses on you

s988634-main-hero.jpg

this is a really good matte foundation, its very light but it is full coverage. 

http://www.sephora.com/mat-velvet-matifying-foundation-P177117?skuId=988634

carolang

Spoiler

I had my make-up done at MAC last weekend and mentioned I'm interested in learning how to do my eye make up and crease work better (hooded eyes) and the make up artist did one eye and made me do the other while giving pointers.

mafan

(0) Hearts

Agreed.  Go in with clean skin with no makeup on it.  Let them know you want to learn how to apply certain things.  Ask about brushes to use, ask to see things along the way.  It costs you a $50 purchase but I doubt that will be hard to spend. :smileyhappy:  If you have a budget, let them know.  I loved the Givenchy palette they used one time, but I didn't feel justified in buying it.  The Sephora shadows and blush someone else used were great and I bought both.  Sephora has a great line and while everything they have might not suit you (some specific brand might be great for your skin type), do let them know if you have a spending limit because they can find it easier to work with you.

This advice is if you're setting up an appointment for makeup, and since you're looking to buy foundation I expect you'll spend enough in store to make it worth while.  If at another time you want help with eyebrows or shadow or something, go to the store at a quiet time if you can.  (2pm during the week is a great time!) Usually someone will have time to answer questions, try things for you, and show you how to apply them without doing the full makeover and not costing you anything (other than some product you'll probably love).

Have fun!  I have really learned a lot by having someone work with me.

annonymous1

(0) Hearts

i also agree with that! the lady who did my makeup applied my eye shadow/macara eyeliner first, i normally do mine face then eyes, but she explained to me about how when eyeshadow falls all on your face you can just remove it with a wipe instead of re-doing your whole foundation!

i also agree that you should go in a quiet time, if the artist feels rushed or booked all day she might not take the time to explain everything to you 

janinebt

Hi MrsChop2012721,

Usually the artist doing your makeup will ask you about your skin. If they do not I'd say just bring it up and let them know that your skin can get kind of oily :smileyhappy:. Also think about the look you'd like to achieve. Do you want dramatic eyes and a more subtle lip or a bold lip and minimal eye shadow? Things like this will help the artist in making your overall vision a reality, for something that you are both happy with.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 9 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • rtista
    • annonymous1
    • janinebt
    • mafan