roxystar4

MAC and your experience

So I went into a MAC store where I'm vacationing to pick up some items & had one of my worst customer service experiences. Ever. I ended up buying two things & when I got to the hotel I was so upset by how rude the sales associates were, my husband went & returned both items ( he was mad at how I was treated). Not only was I cast aside, I was scoffed at & treated poorly. I've never had that kind of treatment at sephora Or other beauty counters ( lancome, benefit, even Dior & Chanel are way nicer!)  Granted I wasn't wearing makeup when I went in ( had just come from the beach) but still. Rude rude rude. 

anyone else have this experience with Mac or other makeup companies?

ps. The Mac counter in my home town is snooty but not this bad. 

roxystar4

Re: MAC and your experience

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Kyndra, im glad you received some compensation. i go into my local sephora bare faced all the time & still get treated really well. it is sad. because what about the ladies who are new to makeup and dont wear makeup and that is their FIRST experience- that's what I think is so sad.

Kyndra

I definitely agree. I just chalked it up as this: go into MAC with a full face on or not at all. I's order online from them but I just can never come to ordering makeup online, idk I'm weird. Sucks though because I love a few of their products I can't find dupes for but that's how the cookie crumbles sometimes unfortunately.

spedteacher74

I would make a point to email their corporate office about your experience.  You'd be amazed at what an email to corporate can do.  I have done this only a few times, once to Nautica (no reply) and to Old Navy (very generous in their reply).  I also make a point to email about excellent customer service (to Sephora and Home Depot).  I believe its important to reward exceptional people and service.

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

Spedteacher74, I actually called their corporate office on Friday & spoke to a nice customer service rep. she took down the store info. Hopefully the SA's there can have some training on how to be courteous & professional. I didn't want to get anyone in trouble so I didn't give a name. I just want to be treated kindly & other customers to be respected too. I don't hate MAC & don't think it's a "bad" store as some other posts inferred; I simply think their customer service is severely lacking in certain stores ( some Mac stores sound great though- based on other BTers posts).

hydee77

[ Edited ]

I've never been to the MAC counter myself because I don't like the vibe it gives off, the sales associates seem pretty loud and pushy. It's right by the handbag section in my Macy's and when I'm browsing, I can overhear them.

The ladies at the Chanel counter are always super nice and approach me, genuinely compliment me on something (last time it was my purse, which wasn't Chanel..I'm not rich! lol) then ask if I want to try a look, I always say no but I think next time I will give it a shot and say yes.  They never give any attitude, I hate to say that you might expect them to since it's Chanel but hey don't judge a book by it's cover, you know? :smileyhappy:

The Clinique counter is the only one that I've used and they are always super laid back and no pressure there.

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

Hydee77. The last Chanel counter I visited was super nice! It was at a macys at a very upscale mall. I wasn't wearing anything too fancy ( my jeans were designer but nothing else was). I had on a little makeup. They gave me a sample & zero pressure to buy. Loved it. 

Thats funny you addressed the SA at Ulta. Nice!

ilovetopurplefy

I like going to MAC!!! The MAC girls at the counters at home and where my brother and I go to school are really nice. They don't push themselves all up on you and they don't look down on you. I've gone to both locations without makeup and they treated me the same. They also ask you for help when you need it and they like making pleasant conversation with customers. They've gotten to know me and what I like so when new collections come in, they call me to let me know. The majority of SiJCP girls at home are so rude but I continue going because a few of my friends work there. Very few others are nice so I prefer going to the free standing Sephora because even if you are sick, or come in with no makeup on, or are fully made up, the SAs treat their customers extremely well.  I guess it depends on where you live or where you go.

ilovetopurplefy

The MAC SAs all have nice makeup too and they look amazing!!! I got to see a few of them do makeup of ladies of all ages and skin tones and when they were finished, the customers looked DROP DEAD GORGEOUS!!!! Their talents are wasted!  Some of the Sephora SAs need to work on their skills though. Only a few at both of the freestanding stores at home and here at school  know what they're doing and do it well.

melisa16

I have to agree with you. I keep seeing bashing of MAC, and I can see why, not me, I usually get pretty good service there. But honestly, their service is not worse than Sephoras. I have gone into multiple Sephoras, and I never get good service, and I have been shopping there for 4 years. When I ask for a sample, they give such attitude like I won't come back and buy the product, but yet once they see how many points I have the cash register, they want to be the most helpful people ever. And I agree, I sometimes don't see their makeup to be done amazingly as MAC, even MAC artists wear neutral colors. But yet Sephora associates judge me on my makeup. 

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

melisa16 I def think this is a problem at different stores (seems to be the higher end makeup stores/counters).  My personal experience has just been with Mac. I would be soo annoyed if the sephora employees were only nice to me after seeing how many points I have :/

JenBlush

That is one thing i hate about MAC! I mean maybe because i look young, (well... I am young lol) or maybe because i dont wear makeup (because i want to try some on) but it always happens that they are always so.... Unfriendly and they try to avoid me. Maybe its the persona they have to portray, but i mean, i believe they get paid at times depending on clients.

I have had someone that works there put blush (a pink) on the sides of my chin.... I mean really? 

person11

I have had horrible experiences with my Dillard's MAC!  I have no idea how some of their "artists" even got hired. I asked an associate what she thought about a brush and she just said "it's good" and walked off.  If I came in after work wearing scrubs, they wouldn't even acknowledge me at all.  I also had two makeovers that were so beyond hideous that I had to rush home out of total embarrassment.  

kittichick

(0) Hearts

I've noticed over the years that a lot of dept store makeup counter employees have kind of awful makeup on. It's hard to take their recs seriously when they look way way overdone with foundation that doesn't match. O.o

ChicDabbler

I find it very ironic that people with too much/overdone makeup turn up their nose at people with no makeup. Let's just go for the middle ground where we look pretty but is not wearing a mask, shall we?

ps. Not only makeup companies but in general I find I get better customer service if I dress prettily with a bit of makeup and a smile. Once I walked into a Burberry boutique in my nerd outfit (free unisex tshirt, loose jeans, sneakers, ponytail and glasses without a smidget of makeup), and the lady asked me if I need any help while basically blocked me at the door, lawls.

kellsmuneoka

It really depends on who is working. Some people think "Since I work here I'm better than you" , but it's their job to be polite and help you. I've had a few bad encounters in different shops like Brandy Melville & Sephora. The Brandy Melville workers on some occasions have their noses up to everyone (they don't greet people at the door too) and also snicker with some of their friends about larger people which is horrible. My friend was one of the victims and I was SO FURIOUS. Sephora workers are usually really nice & only rude because I'm so young and think I'm going to steal something haha. Mac workers are super nice to me and I haven't had a bad experience yet, but you never know. I don't label one store as "bad" because of the service, I think it's just the rude person. 

Missie772

I had the same experience at MAC. I dropped a LOT of money and I was so upset at the way I was treated. I ran into a friend on the way back to class (I went during my lunch break) and she said we were going there after class to return it all.

I ended up keeping a few items I really liked- a few eyeshadows, a few brushes, and a blush. I returned everything else and my friend and I spoke to the manager at how rudely I was treated. They just said I am sorry.

I haven't really shopped at Mac since... I get way better customer service at Sephora!!!

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

missie772, I wanted to keep my items (because I wanted to try them) but my husband talked me out of it. He was like, lets get them online or you can spend even more $$ at sephora if you want. Im glad your friend helped you out.

When my husband went in they didnt even say sorry or look at him. Like not even a half arsed sorry. 

ChicDabbler

Lol, I like how our form of protest is returning products. =P

I did that a few times back when I lost 800 pts, had my account broken for 3 month, and the telephone operator interrupting my FIRST sentence THREE times to assure me she knows exactly what I'm talking about and when I finally was able to finish my sentence, then no idea how to help. A very patient and super nice saleslady restored my faith in Sephora, but before that? #SorryI'mNotSorry about the returns, at all. =X

roxystar4

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

:smileyhappy: as consumers, there are a lot of choices. so I think if someone/company isnt providing the whole package- i'll go elsewhere and take my pocketbook with me.

Glad the one Sales lady restored your faith in Sephora :smileyhappy:

ChicDabbler

She patiently listened to my venting, did not push any products on me but stayed with me for 1.5 hrs to help me find products, new release info, and made me half dozen samples........and no judgement over the fact I just brought $20 worth of stuff for all that trouble. I say thats worthy of commendation. That was the first time I did a feedback survey. Too bad she moved to NYC a yr later.

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

sounds like an amazing SA! wow! 

I had two ladies I LOVED at my local sephora. One went to Lancome & the other is doing something else now. They were so generous with their time, knowledge & samples & I never felt judged by them.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 108 replies
  • 110 hearts
  • 49 in conversation
    • kalex
    • harleyq
    • sephoramusthave
    • nathaliew
    • hydee77
    • emmaclaire