roxystar4

MAC and your experience

So I went into a MAC store where I'm vacationing to pick up some items & had one of my worst customer service experiences. Ever. I ended up buying two things & when I got to the hotel I was so upset by how rude the sales associates were, my husband went & returned both items ( he was mad at how I was treated). Not only was I cast aside, I was scoffed at & treated poorly. I've never had that kind of treatment at sephora Or other beauty counters ( lancome, benefit, even Dior & Chanel are way nicer!)  Granted I wasn't wearing makeup when I went in ( had just come from the beach) but still. Rude rude rude. 

anyone else have this experience with Mac or other makeup companies?

ps. The Mac counter in my home town is snooty but not this bad. 

kstrat

Re: MAC and your experience

(0) Hearts

I have never been to MAC, but there is one near my house.  I have always been afraid to go in since I am a teenager everyone just assumes I won't spend any money.  I mean obviously I do not spend $500 each trip, but I do enjoy makeup&skincare so I spend a decent amount of money on products I want to try.  I always get amazed looks when I pull out my vib card at Sephora but now the store near my house knows me so they always treat me with respect.  

kellsmuneoka

Exactly. They've been very nice to me so far..only sephora and brandy melville have been a little snooty to me.

kstrat

I hate how you have to almost earn the respect of the employees at "higher end" stores it makes me sad :smileysad: 

kellsmuneoka

(0) Hearts

Like they aren't in charge. You're the customer and they should be fired because CUSTOMER SERVICE comes first.

AIixandra

(0) Hearts

I always get really good service at my MAC counter here. I suppose it just depends on the people. I usually end up there with no makeup as well, and my gross yoga pants and a hoody and they are always extremely nice to me and helpful. Maybe because I always end up dropping a lot of money, and because I tend to be an easy customer in that I never have questions and always go knowing exactly what I need.  I'm so sad you ended up getting poor service, that happened to me at a sephora store a few hours from here and I was so rattled after I wanted to cry. The employees were following me around the store like I was going to steal something and extremely rude. I shouldn't have continued with my purchase in hindsight but I ended up showing up at the till with a 600$ haul because it was Xmas season and I was getting stuff for my mom and three sisters, the manager was super nice to me while ringing me though but my experience on the floor was awful. I am so sad for you, I hope this never happens to you again. 

veronika23

Sorry you had bad service :smileysad: 

I usually get decent to good service at MAC.  Depends who's working.  If they know me of course I get great service if not it's good but not like OMG great service.  Sephora used to have terrible service.  Absolutely horrible.  I must say the last few months in store have been nice.  Plus the guy who served me today and once before is gold.  He is exactly what CS is all about.  I had so much fun with him looking at products I ended up spending like 2 hours at the store. lol.  Kinda makes up for the rest of Sephora's general CS.

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

veronika23  that is awesome that you get good service from both MAC & Sephora. I love when someone doesnt know me or know I spend a ton of $ on makeup/skincare but still goes out of their way to be nice to me/helps and has fun with me while shopping.

nathaliew

YES!!!! MAC are the WORST when it comes to costumer service. Their products are absolutely amazing but every time I go into a MAC store or to a counter It's almost like they go out of their way to be rude to you. I would buy almost exclusively MAC if they had decent costumer service but as of now I go out of my way to try other products because I don't want to "support" their costumer service culture!

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

nathaliew,  have you ever heard of the restaurant "D!ck's Last Resort".  Its where the staff is rude and it's their thing. It's supposed to be funny and snarky.  I hate it.  Anyways, my husband made a joke that maybe MAC is the D!ck's Last Resort of makeup :smileyhappy:

amerie

I've noticed MAC sales people are very rude no matter which location (counter, pro store) they are just snobby that's why i just stick to sephora.
aviscardi

Usually i get that when i go to mac , sometimes a counter like chanel. but not often enough since i buy most things online. The thing for me is that they look at you like you don't look like them. and you are this far inferior makeup being. it really is a shame, but i just go in to get what i need and leave- if i do go. other than that i try not to , or get it from nordies where i can return it.

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

aviscardi  Yeah I plan on just picking up Mac items online (I may even just skip them all together and get some stuff at CCO) or buy from sephora.

Nicrohr

Prob we can get good or bad customer service anywhere, but I have had a really insulting/bad experience at a MAC store, so this got my attention.

I've also had some rude cashiers/check out at Sephora, tho usually if someone helps me "in the field" in the store, they are very nice/helpful.

I do shop at a very snooty/upscale mall because I like the skylights, natural plants, quiet atmosphere, few children, etc.

lecia1167

MAC is okay. I think my issue with the store is that the women don't seem to be nearly as knowledgeable about makeup as at Sephora. For most of us, one product line just isn't going to do it. and MAC is gonna push MAC products, even if they don't have the best product for your skin type. I think their lipsticks and eye shadows are lovely, but I'm not a fan of their foundations and powders, and that's what I needed the most. Sephora did a great job of recommending products for my oily skin. I used to be exclusively a MAC shopper, and now I don't go there at all because Sephora never disappoints me!

lilyyy

Good point! MAC will never tell you if there's a better product out there.

Another reason why I love Sephora. The countless times I've been told that a product won't work on me, won't have the best effects, etc. Sephora staff always steers you right.

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

lecia1167  Funny you mentioned about knowledge base.  ONE (like this is only one part of the bad experience)... was when I asked the SA about a similar shade to the color Habit in the Vice 2 Palette that just came out by UD.  She very sharply, loudly, and rudely replied "I dont know what that is! *scoff*". Imagine a 14 year old girl's attitude towards her mom.

I was taken aback by her response and didnt expect that kind of attitude. I guess I figured if a SA didnt know something they would say, lets try to find a color similar together and lead me to the shadows.  Instead I had to bring her over the eye shadows. 

How can some wonderful, kind people be unemployed right now when there are people who act like they could care less about their job and helping others?

kittichick

God, I seriously HATE when these people act like that. I usually feel kind of vulnerable when I go into almost any beauty store or counter. I'm a big girl AND I take a medication that makes me sweat horribly for no reason so I just know people are judging me for that- especially in a beauty store.

And yet, here I am with a massive make-up addiction! So I spend most of my money online and only go to stores to make returns. ...Which probably doesn't help the way I'm treated.

I've never been to a Mac counter. (I wish it was available at Sephora!!) But it seems to me that it all depends on the location. The Sephora store I used to go to had AWESOME staff, even though it was in kind of a snooty mall. Then I moved and now have to go to a different one. THAT mall is kind of old and run-down, but the Sephora staff are mostly rude and/or stand-off-ish. Meanwhile, the staff at Ulta near me are wonderful. 

Seems like it's the luck of the draw.

Although from what I'm reading here, I doubt I'll go to a Mac counter anytime in the near future.

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

kittichick, I think you may be right about location (some ladies here say they have great SA's at MAC).  

emmaclaire

I feel you on the whole first paragraph - same here.  But work it, and never be apologetic for your body or anything that it does.  I've always found a particular satisfaction in watching someone who is obviously trying to put me down realize that I'm not going to let them get away with that junk.  Self confidence is where it's at, for real.

Also, I really really dislike MAC for my own reasons (just not a fan of their quality) but don't discount them entirely.  The way @roxystar4 was treated is absolutely abhorrent, but that's not really the brand's fault - the customer service department at MAC headquarters would probably be just as horrified as we are to hear about their employees acting so rudely!

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

emmaclaire  I plan on contacting their customer service department tomorrow :smileyhappy:

shinybananas

I've had pretty great experiences at MAC retail stores, but the MAC counters are another story.  There is a Macys in Brooklyn that I live close to, and it is nigh impossible to get anyone to help me.  

Although, that Macys in general is sadness personified, so it may have more to do with that than anything.

I also do not understand the whole thing where some SA's treat people not wearing makeup poorly.  I feel like, if I were in their position, and saw someone with a bare face I would think it an opportunity to load that pretty mug up with ALL the products.  When I'm wearing makeup already I'm less inclined to let someone slap stuff on my face, but when I'm bare, it's game on.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 108 replies
  • 110 hearts
  • 49 in conversation
    • kalex
    • harleyq
    • sephoramusthave
    • nathaliew
    • hydee77
    • emmaclaire