roxystar4

MAC and your experience

So I went into a MAC store where I'm vacationing to pick up some items & had one of my worst customer service experiences. Ever. I ended up buying two things & when I got to the hotel I was so upset by how rude the sales associates were, my husband went & returned both items ( he was mad at how I was treated). Not only was I cast aside, I was scoffed at & treated poorly. I've never had that kind of treatment at sephora Or other beauty counters ( lancome, benefit, even Dior & Chanel are way nicer!)  Granted I wasn't wearing makeup when I went in ( had just come from the beach) but still. Rude rude rude. 

anyone else have this experience with Mac or other makeup companies?

ps. The Mac counter in my home town is snooty but not this bad. 

Kiki1517

Re: MAC and your experience

I think I have to agree on Ulta. I had a coupon to get my nails done for free and somehow they had doublebooked the one nail station. I swear the other nail tech stood there for a few minutes huffing and puffing like expecting me to get up with my nails halfway done. 

Another time I had to help another customer because the sales associate refused to help her find a specific mascara (pretty sure I wrote about that here before).

hydee77

They used to do this to me at my Ulta when they first opened.  One time it was so obvious that I actually got annoyed enough to turn to her and ask, puzzled "Is there a problem?"  She quickly acted like she was adjusting stuff on the shelves and didn't know what to say, then asked if I was finding everything ok. 

sephoralovex

I try to avoid Ulta too. It so obvious the girls follow you and watch your every move. 

mimibel

I've cured mine of that by asking them difficult questions :smileywink:. Now they see me and hide, it's bliss! To be fair, they don't know much so aren't any help for all that hovering at your elbow. Once my Ulta  stopped giving prestige samples, all I buy there is the on-sale drugstore things I want and my dry shampoo. Fortunately my MAC and Sephora peeps are lovely and like me. 

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

yeah, it makes me feel so uncomfortable :/

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

love this pic btw!

roxystar4

love this picture.  Ive only been to Ulta a few times because I dont like the feeling of something following me. 

annekevdb

Something about asking for make up help makes me feel vulnerable. It's like my flaws or things I don't like about my appearance have to be a bit front and center.  So because of this I am pretty sensitive to SAs behavior. i have never had a bad experience with Sephora. Although when it is busy I don't interact much with the SA. I haven't been to MAC in years. I did have one experience there in Miami with SAs who clearly thought they were much cooler than any customer who would ever. Come into the store. It was really uncomfortable. (I was there for a consultation. ).   I would expect that stores would understand how important attitude is and work to shape the environment to it is comfortable! Rather than intimidating.  

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

sorry to hear about your Miami experience annekevdb. There was another lady in the Mac store who was waiting for a consultation & they ignored her for a while.  So it wasn't just me, when my husband returned the items (an hr later??) I was outside & peeped in & saw the same girl sitting in a chair, no SA helping her... I felt bad for her ( almost told her to head over to sephora)

Cyll

I went into Mac with no make-up on and I became an art project.
The lady was very nice and insisted that she draw my eyebrows on... I don't know what she did but they looked ridiculous! I didn't want to say anything to hurt her feelings, but the irony is - me and my sister went into walmart and we overheard the customers behind us. They were talking about eyebrows looking bad and we both thought they were talking about mine, so I turned around to say something & the chick obviously went to MAC as well & got the same treatment. I copped a quick glance and almost died laughing!

I'm just going to assume this lady was on a feild day for eyebrows.

Hopefully my story makes you feel better!

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

Cyll - your eyebrow story cracked me up! Made me smile :smileyhappy:

sephoralovex

That's why I avoid going to MAC stores. No matter what if I have a full face of makeup and dressed up or bare face in casual clothes I always get stared up and down by the MAC SA. It's only in a certain mall I go to (Which I hate the Sephora there bc the SA there do the same) I also was at a benefit counter in the same mall and the SA ringing me up made a rude remark about my eyebrow color and said the shape of my brows shouldn't be arched and the color should be dark brown with red undertone... I have light ash brown hair, I'm not gonna wear dark brows. She wasn't even an esthetician just a regular SA. I did the same thing as you, next day I went and returned the benefit product I was buying since I did not like her customer service.

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

Sephoralovex - I'm glad you returned the benefit products since the SA was rude to you. It just leaves a bad feeling ( where as I want to be happy after purchasing makeup/skin care!)

mimibel

My MAC SA in both the local Dillard's are really nice to me but I've gotten to know them a bit too. They like to talk product, will help me swatch entire collections and are very good and patient with me because they know I need to test things and am picky but that when I like things, I buy. They don't carry a lot of the more specialized products here or even the entire range of the ones they do but the collections and LE they do get rarely sell out so I often get lucky with things that are hard to get elsewhere. But other locals I've talked to think they are snooty and standoffish though so I'm kind of puzzled...

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

Mimibel, maybe i should go to your store! :smileyhappy: glad they are so nice to you! I think getting to know SA's helps ( I loveeeeee the sa's at my local sephora)! They are so nice to me!

One of the Mac girls at my local Mac counter is nice. The manager there is out there though. I told her I had sensitive lips & she shouted ( like it reverberated thru belk) that I should walk away & get allergy tested. That's just embarrassing. She always talks WAY too loud & asks personal questions to customers & then responds so loudly - I'm not making this up- I was at the Lancôme counter and heard her shout about someone's oily skin ( poor customer). Even the ladies working at the other counters told me would be hard to work with:/

mimibel

I like the 2 part time SA at one of my MAC counters and an outrageous boy at another better than either manager. The manager at one kept going on and on about the brushes being cruelty-free when I was not asking about brushes...I guess that was her soapbox of the day but it was odd. I'm bad though, I ask when the ones I like are working and then book them or just ignore the managers if I'm walking in to browse. :smileywink: 

roxystar4

mimibel, I dont think it's bad to do that at all! I think working with people you feel comfortable with is a great thing

mafan

I've never been in MAC so I don't know their stores. I find the Bare Minerals stores to be less than welcoming sometimes. At my usual mall they are nice, but travel took me to two other stores this week. At the first store the associates were all talking as the store was empty and I felt like I was imposing asking for help. But they did help me. Today, at a different mall I needed to make an exchange since I got the wrong thing Monday. Everyone was busy and I said I wanted to make an exchange and they said they would help me in a minute. Then someone came in the store,went to the counter and was helped right away. It was when someone else was going to help someone who came in later that I had to say that I was there first. I think the sales person thought I'd already been helped, but I defintely felt ignored. 

Regardless, if I had walked in today wanting to buy things instead of just change a color, I'd have walked out and that would be too bad for both of us, as the deal was great and I love the lipstick. Sales people make such a difference and I'm sorry you were treated so badly. I would not keep anything that reminded me of a bad experience. There are too many other wonderful things to get. 

Nicrohr

I've been treated HORRIBLY in the BE store in the fancy mall by me, so I NEVER buy make up from BE anymore.  I only buy BE from Sephora.  If they don't carry it, I don't buy it.

I also simply don't like their policies, and find Sephora's customer service and policies, and return policy, much better.

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

Nicrohr, you are the second reply that ive read that says BE was rude :smileysad:  Im glad Sephora carries it so that they can supply you with some goodies.

I agree about bad service anywhere (there have been my experiences at Sephora and other counters) but never to this degree.  

I seriously came on BT last night because I wanted to share with all of you ( I felt so embarrassed and belittled).

roxystar4

Mafan I heart your post ( even though I can't heart it for some reason)

i hate feeling ignored ( like you did at the BM store). thanks for sharing your experience :smileyhappy:

im glad I returned them ( ok my husband did it for me- very good to me!).  it was such a humiliating experience I didn't even want to walk in the store. My husband told me he didn't like the sales associate's makeup, said their fake eyelashes looked cheap (lol). He tried to cheer me up. Guess I have $40 to spend at sephora now :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 108 replies
  • 110 hearts
  • 49 in conversation
    • kalex
    • harleyq
    • sephoramusthave
    • nathaliew
    • hydee77
    • emmaclaire