roxystar4

MAC and your experience

So I went into a MAC store where I'm vacationing to pick up some items & had one of my worst customer service experiences. Ever. I ended up buying two things & when I got to the hotel I was so upset by how rude the sales associates were, my husband went & returned both items ( he was mad at how I was treated). Not only was I cast aside, I was scoffed at & treated poorly. I've never had that kind of treatment at sephora Or other beauty counters ( lancome, benefit, even Dior & Chanel are way nicer!)  Granted I wasn't wearing makeup when I went in ( had just come from the beach) but still. Rude rude rude. 

anyone else have this experience with Mac or other makeup companies?

ps. The Mac counter in my home town is snooty but not this bad. 

yolee50

Re: MAC and your experience

Humm, interesting convo.  I think maybe ones age has something to do with it.  Based on what I am reading most of you appear to be young (20's or so).  As MAC is a bit more expensive maybe they choose to ignore young women and focus on the older ones that "look" as if they have more to spend?  I am 50 years old and when ever I step into a MAC store I get great service.  In fact at the boutique in the mall in Brooklyn the two SAs fall over themselves to serve me.  I usually make a minimum purchase of $50 -150 per visit either to replace something I love (I use their mineral concealer, LOVE IT!) or to ask a question and try something new.  I always buy a new MAC brush to add to my extensive collection.  I can return anything I want as well, the SAs in Brooklyn know me so well.  So maybe the "age" thing is playing a part?  I am not sure, but perhaps.

trulykelsie

(0) Hearts

Stand-alone MAC stores are the worst. When I purchase MAC products, I usually do it either from my local Nordstrom or by ordering them from Nordstrom. I love MAC products, but their SA's are rude, unwelcoming and unhelpful. 

IttyxBittyxMe

For me it has the possibility to be a hit or miss depending on location. There are four MAC locations within thirty minutes of my house, the closest being a good five to ten minutes away in a Macy's, the second about fifteen to twenty minutes away Pentagon City Mall, and the third and fourth being the twenty five to thirty at Tysons Corner and Fair Oaks malls. This isn't counting the MAC's in the other MAC's, Nordstrums, and what not. 

When I first started getting in to makeup, which was at the beginning of this year, I wanted to try out things from MAC so of course I went into the closest one near me. I was essentially ignored the entire time until the consultant finally decided to glance my way. Wasn't to pleased about that. Now I don't remember if I was wearing makeup or not but all depending on the day and how I'm dressed I can look about 15 or so as I'm very petite, short, and have a young face (I'm only 20 so it's not to far off anyway). Went two or three more time and the behavior continued. So I ventured out to the locations not to far from me and pretty much got better service at each of them.

I think the one in Pentagon City mall is probably my favorite over all as I walked into the door and was acknowledged almost immediately opposed to my usual five minute wait even with no makeup on. 

The one near my house has been getting better as of late though. When I went to MAC to get some of the Riri collection for my sister the sales associate was super helpful and polite although she was helping out three people (two with questions including me and giving one a makeover) and when I went for the Divine Night Collection the gentlemen that helped me was probably the best guy that has helped me at a MAC at any location. He was fun, bubbly, and offered me a Teddy Gram (I was on break and it was that time of day, so of course I took it). 

So my experiences with them started off as a negative, and then got a lot better. 

Kiki1517

I do notice that the MAC counter can be kindof standoffish, so I really only try to stop when someone is there that I like. I think it really depends on the person because I have had good and bad service everywhere, including Sephora. There are employees I love and others that I would rather not even talk to me. As far as employees knowledge on makeup, I find it funny how much they don't know, but I think it's just because I research things so much before I buy them. But the average person walking in the store probably has no clue how little so many employees know. 

linda84

I do not shop at MAC anymore, really. Not since falling in love with Sephora and their customer service. I will say that I never had a bad experience until this year. I did one exchange and one return at my local Macy's counter. Both times, different associates, they made me feel like I was stealing. I have vowed never to go back. If I need to buy something, I will order online or at another counter.

latinadiva

I find the MAC counter in my Macy's to be better than the MAC store. One strange thing I've never liked about MAC is that I like to be able to grab the products myself, not that I have to tell them what I want and then they grab it, but obviously I can overlook that. The girls at the MAC counter in my Macy's are super friendly. I think at this point they know me, and one in particular definitely knows me and is always extremely friendly and welcoming. I even love that she will say "I know you like to look around and do your own thing so just let me know when you need something!" I appreciate that she recognizes that I don't need any of them on top of me asking me if I need help, but that I enjoy taking my time and really looking around. I don't find my store to be as nice. It's not horrible, but it's not as good as it could be.

harleyq

Once I needed to buy foundation and decided to give MAC a try. So I get half of my face done in one shade, the other half in another shade and decided which one to purchase and I paid. I asked them if they could please even out my face before I go out of the store so I can run a couple more errands, and they said, "Sorry we are closed." I needed the makeup for the next day, so I didn't return it, which is what I should have done at that moment. I have never returned to MAC since and that was about 5 years ago.

ry22

I've only gone to MAC once. It was for a friend of mine's birthday. She loves MAC and I swear she owns everything they sell hahaha. I went when the counter wasn't busy and the saleslady was helpful, directing me to their new collection that came out the day before. But I normally prefer Sephora...

sephoramusthave

Aww. I actually really love MAC. I didn't get into this brand until this year but its a sold high end brand for a good price. I've mostly stopped buying $30+ dollar lipsticks because I find the mac ones just as good or better and they cost wayyy less. I don't like the counters at the mall because I don't feel comfortable trying stuff on with 5 SA's staring at me. But the mac pro store is AMAZING. They have all kinds of applicators out as well as tissues and alcohol. They really make it easy to try stuff on. The SA's are there where I need them but they don't bother me, they don't breathe down my neck while I'm shopping and they let me play. That's all I care about. Leave me alone to try stuff on and when I find something I like, I'll call you myself.

roxystar4

[ Edited ]

sephoramusthave that is awesome! I like their lipsticks too

MAC Vegas Volt 3.JPG

veronika23

Ok I love this color!  Do you know what it is?

roxystar4

veronika23 -the lipstick swatch?  It's vegas volt. I love it. It's a fave in my collection. I'll PM you

sephoramusthave

When I want a certain color or finish, MAC is the place to go. Most brands make shadows with 3 finishes: matte, shimmer and glitter. MAC has all kinds of different finishes (pearl, frost, ...). If you have the exact same color, but in different finishes, it looks like a completely different color. I really like their shadows, their brushes, blushes and lipsticks. I'm not a fan of their glosses though and I would never use their skincare. I have a sample of their studio sculpt foundation, but I haven't really used it enough to give it a fair review.

I really want their shadow in naked lunch, satin taupe and woodwinked, their lipstick in cremecup, and their 234 eyeshadow brush. The 219 is hands down my absolute favorite eyeshadow brush, I don't know how I've ever lived without this baby before. I find myself using powder shadows a lot more than usual because this brush makes my eye makeup look professional and clean. :smileyvery-happy:

Of course, its no Sephora :smileyvery-happy:

sephoramusthave

oops I mean the 217 is my favorite eyeshadow brush.

FireSpinner

I went to a mac  store last week and it was soooo akward. I walked into the store, went to the lipsticks and after being there for while, finally got a 'hello, can i help you line' from a sales associate. She was sort of helping me but at the same time, i got this vibe from her like "ugh go away". So akward. 

KayyLynn

I was treated so poorly at MAC a few weeks ago that I have actually swore off the brand almost all together! I wanted to return a few things and just get the money, first time I had done this, and the manager at the counter talked so ugly to me I was in tears! My friend begged me to call the main office but I don't think it would do much good. I had never dealt with her, the manager that talked ugly to me, but most of the other girls at the counter have always been at least decent to me. On another note, my sephora has literally all new people except one girl. All the girls were always so so so sweet to me and they knew I shopped there pretty often but since the staff has changed they aren't nearly as nice and I actually find myself not wanting to go to sephora now. There is one lady in particular that is ALWAYS there when I pass by. I went in on Friday to get the Tarte blush palette that came out for the holidays and she gave me this look (like that look you up and down, what are you doing here look), I guess because I was in sweats and no makeup, honestly I never enjoy coming into contact with her........ needless to say I left without purchasing a thing because she made me feel uncomfortable!!

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

KayyLynn, I hate the up and down look over :smileysad:

KayyLynn

Me too!!! But good news, I went in this morning and she wasn't there and all the other gals were super sweet.

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

whooo hoo! so glad that you were able to be with nice SA's. I really feel it makes such a difference.

Kyndra

This same situation just recently happened to me. I went into a MAC store without makeup because I had just come fom the gym and got the WORST service but when I went back the next day to exchange an item (with a full face of makeup on) they treated me like a star client. I was so disgusted by that I complained on Twitter and Facebook. Soon after a MAC rep told me to email them. I did and now I'm receiving a gift card from them. That is horrible that people are discriminated like that in MAC stores because I've gone to plenty of Sephora's and other beauty counters with a bare face and have been treated way better

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 108 replies
  • 110 hearts
  • 49 in conversation
    • kalex
    • harleyq
    • sephoramusthave
    • nathaliew
    • hydee77
    • emmaclaire