jellymonster

Looking for a new foundation?

[ Edited ]

I worked at Sephora not to long ago until I moved. I would love to help anyone out if they have any questions about foundations! 

I've worked with just about every foundation at Sephora on clients skin. If I could tell you the one I worked with most by request and love, it would have to be the popular Makeup Forever HD Foundation!

lylysa

Re: Looking for a new foundation?

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Try using this shade match guide on the Bare Minerals Sephora page!

http://www.sephora.com/brand/brandStore.jsp?brandId=5737&buttonMediaId=11200028

It not only shows images of the product shades, but also photos of models wearing them so you can identify to a color better!

My best guess would be Medium or Medium Beige.

megsf

(0) Hearts

Maybe you can help me... I am in need of some serious foundation advice!

I have finally thrown in the towel and called it quits with foundation, tinted moisturizer, BB creams, etc. I am very, very fair and freckled. I have played with different drugstore foundations, different brands and different coverages and everything is too dark for me--even the lightest shades! If that isn't frustrating enough, light shades of foundation make me look very fake since it makes my freckles look ashy and like I failed miserably at trying to cover them up (which I am not trying to do). If I use a darker shade, I get a very unnatural look and of course, the lovely line under my jaw. I am a good hour from my nearest makeup counter, so going in to be matched for foundation and not finding the perfect shade would be a huge let down. Should I just give up?

1Emily

(0) Hearts

Have you tried bareMinerals? Finding a shade to match your skin might be difficult, but you can really control the coverage so you can keep your freckles without looking like you tried to cover them up. :smileyhappy: I use the original foundation in Fair, which is a good color for me, but it might be too dark for you. You should go to a Sephora store and try it out!

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Given the information presented, it appears you're looking for a complexion product that won't cover your freckles, but still even out your skin tone, won't look fake/too done up, and matches your shade.

Since I don't have a photo to go by, check out some of these brands/products that cater to fairer complexions:

Amazing Cosmetics Velvet Mineral Foundation:

http://www.sephora.com/velvet-mineral-liquid-custom-finish-foundation-spf-15-P312404?skuId=1411990

Available in fairer shades, plus they coordinate with their killer concealer. Buildable coverage, uses natural mineral pigments, oil free.

Benefit Some Kinda Gorgeous Foundation Faker:

http://www.sephora.com/some-kind-a-gorgeous-P157910?skuId=942771

Try the Lite formulation, this is deemed a "foundation faker" as it's not meant to add a whole new color to your complexion, but more so adjust to suit your skin tone and give skin a very natural look and even out any redness or ruddiness in the complexion. It's sheer and very light in terms of coverage so it won't mask the look of your freckles. It also dries to a powder finish if you're in a rush and don't have time to top off with a setting powder.

Try posting a photo on here in natural lighting so we can get an idea of what color your skin is to add more suggestions!

Tanmisq

(0) Hearts

Hi,

I am looking for a sheer light-medium coverage foundation and decided on either MUFE or Guerlain Lingerie de Peau...just have no idea what my shade is..Please help!

i got matched to MUFE #155 concealer and i have beige/tan skin with yellow undertones

lylysa

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

You mean #155 in the HD foundation? I'm not finding any of the MUFE concealers in that shade or number, just the foundation.

If you're trying to find a comparable shade in Guerlain, try 04 Beige Moyen.

You can always thin down the HD foundation by adding a drop of moisturizer to help make it more sheer.

Tanmisq

(0) Hearts

Sorry I meant #355 in the HD Concealer :smileyhappy:

will the Guerlain 04 Beige Moyen still work or might there be another shade that could work?

Thanks a bunch!

lylysa

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

It might not be the most accurate match to soley go off a concealer as often times concealers may be a shade or two lighter than needed (especially for dark circles) and even more densely pigmented, but if you wear #355 in MUFE's concealer, try pairing it with Guerlain's 05 Beige Fonce or MUFE's HD foundation in 165 Honey Beige or 170 Caramel.

As this is merely going by swatches, try to find a time to stop by your local Sephora to get color matched in person.

JRawl26

(0) Hearts

I ordered MUFE Face and Body in Honey Beige 34 and it seems to be too dark for my skin. It looks way too dark tested on my arm or when I first put it on my face, but then  I blended it all in my face and it actually looks pretty good. Is this normal, or should I be going down a shade?

Also, if I do go down a shade, what would it be? I'm a little confused by the numbering system. The "beige undertones" seemed to work well for me. Should I try Alabaster Beige 32 or is that really yellow-y?

Finally, you mentioned the MUFE HD foundation. I originally bought the Face and Body because it is silicone-based and waterproof. I have combination skin. By the end of the day my nose is always shiny. Which foundation would be better for that problem: the face and body or the HD? I do top my makeup off with the translucent HD micro-finishing powder.

Thank you!

lylysa

(0) Hearts

If after you blended it out it was able to match your complexion and skin tone, keep it. Wear it around and see if the color oxidizes or changes any, if it does, then swap it out for another shade. The appearance of a color can be different in a swatch and when applied properly as natural wear because a swatch holds more product and pigment in one area, but when you actually wear the make up, it's no where near as thick or as full.

Alabaster Beige isn't super yellow in undertones, it's just not as warm as the Honey Beige since it's made for lighter skin tones rather than warmer. Decide what undetone you're truly wanting to match to and even try to go into a store to get a color match with the product blended down rather than just swatched.

If you have an issue with shine, you may consider MUFE's Velvet Mat as it is a mattifying formula to help control oil. The HD foundation will have optical diffusers to give your skin a healthy, satin glow, which may add to the look of shine if that's an issue you're already experiencing. The HD finishing powder can go over any of the MUFE or other brand foundations use a fan brush or stippling brush to sweep on a fine amount or a large, fluffy powder brush to pat and roll/dab product on. No need to buff it onto skin as the silica particles in the powder are meant to lay on top of skin rather than be worked in to diffuse and warp light around imperfections to give a flawless look to skin.

everlost226

(0) Hearts

HI there, i have acne prone skin along with combanation skin! I have patches of skin that are flacky that my face look terrible! I've used makeup forever matte velvet and clinque even better makeup and both are not good for my skin. Would make up forever HD invisble cover foundation be good for my skin?

beautylovingirl

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

You need to look at the New MUFE multi-use powder foundation. Hope this helps!

lylysa

(0) Hearts

The MUFE HD would be lighter in appearance because it doesn't have a matte finish, but rather a satin finish with optical diffusers to help soften the look of imperfections, but if your skin is suffering from flaky/dry patches, it's vital to address this with skin care.

Though your face is combination/acne prone, you want to avoid harsh scrubs with sugar granuals or crushed fruit seed powder as those particles are too rough and uneven. Try to find a scrub with microcrystals as they are more fine or even jojoba beads.

Boscia is a great line designed for senstitive skin. It's botanical based and preservative free, their Facial Smoothing Polish uses gentle and soft sugar polymers to gently buff off dead skin at the surface layers to even out the texture of your skin without irritating or causing more inflammation to acne prone areas.

Follow that up with your moisturizer, then primer, and then give foundation a try. See if adding this skin care step will help the make up you do have sit and lay better on your skin, if you still want to change up the finish and coverage, then opt to buy the MUFE HD as it gives buildable coverage.

FayeCouturexo

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I have sensitive,combination&& acne prone skin, though my skin rarely gets oily as of right now since its winter. My forehead is really dry, I tried the Naked skin foundation and my forehead looked really flaky :smileysad: I need a light coverage foundation or a bb cream. I also tried smashbox and boscia bb cream, I didnt like how it looked on me. I would prefer something really moisturizing, dewy finish. (:

lylysa

How often do you exfoliate? Though your skin is sensitive and acne prone, not exfoliating (be it with a chemical based or physical exfoliant) will only make matters worse as it allows for dead and excess skin cells and layers to build up, preventing your skin care products from absorning well and doing their job as well as preventing your make up from sitting properly on skin.

Boscia's Facial Smoothing Polish uses soft and gentle sugar polymers that feel like jojoba beads to slough off dead/dry skin, it's also a preservative free line that is perfect for sensitive skin and uses botanical based ingredients like willowherb and jojoba leaf extract to soothe.

Gently massage this onto skin about 1-2x a week to remove the excess build up and follow up with a moisturizer. Top off skin with a primer and then your foundation of choice, this should help even out the texture of your skin so problem areas are minimized.

lreagan

Have you tried the Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer? As the name implies, it's really moisturizing. I have oily skin so I use the oil free version, but if you have really dry skin I would try the regular. Plus it has SPF which is always a plus! It provides really good coverage for a tinted moisturizer. I have post acne marks on my chin and rosacea on my cheeks and it covers them without having to add concealer.

Regular version: http://www.sephora.com/tinted-moisturizer-P109936?skuId=870337

Oil free version: http://www.sephora.com/tinted-moisturizer-oil-free-P140906?skuId=905364

libee84

(0) Hearts

I do have a foundation question... I have been using the bare minerals foundation (which I don't hate) but feel like in these dry winter months I need something a little more. I have combo skin, with an odd blemish here and there, some pinkness in my cheeks and getting hing closer to 30 so I'm very conscious of fine lines. I was thinking about something light that I could use with the BM powder but I don't know, just don't want to look like I have a pound of makeup on. Nothing that has a strong scent and I try to only use cruelty free products... Any suggestions?

lylysa

Try looking into Tarte's Maracuja Foundation! It's a more natural-plant based line that leaves out parabens, sulfates, synthetic fillers, and petrochemicals from their formulas and relies on mineral based pigments.

The maracuja oil is antioxidant rich and helps to hydrate and condition the skin rather than clog or cause issues.

It gives buildable coverage so you can lightly set or dust over it with your BM foundation if you like.

Loukitty91

(0) Hearts

Hi I'm looking for a foundation with full coverage, skin breaks out easily and is oily and sensitive what would you suggest?

beautylovingirl

You need to check out the Kat Von D foundation or the Muti-use powder foundation from MUFE.Hope this helps!

katie1724

I love the Kat von D foundation -- I can't wait until it comes back in stock. It seems as if it has been out for ages!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 98 replies
  • 70 hearts
  • 42 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • katie1724
    • kenny
    • sephoramusthave
    • shaniceee
    • jellymonster