aviscardi

Liquid/ BB exp date

Does anyone use their foundations past the expiration? I'm going to label mine so i can tell how long ive been using them. but i know my mufe mat velvet + is about 14 months old and its still going strong. since i mix it im waiting to finish it before buying a new one.

Also because i noticed the urban decay fdn is only 6mon exp?!!

katie1724

Re: Liquid/ BB exp date

I have had a few longer than a year, actually -- while opinions will differ on this topic, I follow the more general rule of tossing it when it changes consistency, starts to smell different, separates, etc. -- (because it inevitably will, if it goes bad). If your Mat Velvet seems fine, I wouldn't toss it yet. An expiration date is a guideline; it doesn't mean it will expire exactly at the date it's supposed to, it's just the timeframe during which the manufacturer guarantees that it is viable -- and I use that more of a guideline than an absolute throw-it-away deadline (but, again, that's just me, and opinions will differ on this). I am always careful to toss mascara, though, because it goes on the eyes.

aviscardi

I'm the same as you, i toss my mascara every 3 mons occasionally 4 if it doesn't seem dry. i don't mess with my eyes, and i can tell when a mascara starts to get dry it irritates my eyes.   I use it as a guideline as well, i just never saw a fdn say 6mons

katie1724

Six months does seem like a particularly short life span! I don't use a lot of foundation -- one NARS bottle takes me over a year -- so I don't think I'd be able to finish a bottle in six months unless it was a tinted moisturizer or something that one tends to use more heavily.

Mascara, on the other hand -- I use a lot of it, and often, so I think I usually go through it before it has the chance to go bad! :smileytongue:

aviscardi

exactly. i use it daily so i have a chance to toss it in the 3-4 mons. ive used a few in between and always go back so i know im getting my $ worth.

sephoramusthave

LOL I have to wear a full face to work so one bottle of foundation doesn't last me very long at all....3 months or less so I don't have to worry about expiration dates for that. I don't need much coverage because I've got good skin, but I still buff on a layer to get the full face look. I never have problems using up my face makeup (foundation, powder, bronzer, concealer etc)...its the eye/lip/cheek stuff that lasts forever. But that's a good thing :smileyvery-happy:

aviscardi

Usually even though i have a lot of face powders to rotate, i tend to go through them faster than i would a liquid. and i do wear a bb/liquid every day but it seems never ending lol

oh and yes i have a few bronzers as well but i bounce between mainly 2... even just using laguna mini that one lasted for 3mons.

katie1724

(0) Hearts

I go through powders so much faster than liquid foundation, too -- probably because I carry them with me and use them multiple times a day, whereas my NARS foundation (and most of my other ones, actually) are so pigmented that I only need a few drops. It does seem never-ending! I bought my last bottle of NARS Sheer Glow in the late summer / early fall last year and I'm not even halfway through! I do occasionally rotate in other things, but I definitely use it most consistently.

aviscardi

(0) Hearts

i'd hope to finish one haha. i have so many thought i have no idea how long it will be til i finish one. a different one every day means it will be forever

mafan

If it's not smelling funny, separating, or seeming to appear different in some way, and if it's packaged in a sanitary manner such that it's not likely to pick up bacteria, I'd continue to use it.

If you start to see any problems with your skin, I would discard it and purchase something new.

If you have a BB cream that has a sunscreen, I would be more concerned about expiration dates, but those are usually printed on the bottle.  They can break down and become less effective.

Considering how infrequently I use my foundation, I expect I will both use it longer than 12 months and discard it before it is empty.  My biggest concern is whether the product appears good.  I think some dates are different depending on what preservatives are used and how they are packaged.  An airtight pump is going to last longer than something in a pot, for example.

aviscardi

very true. im curious because i own 4 bbs/cc 1 is a deluxe size the rest are full, they're all squeeze tubes with the exception of dior being a squeeze tube and pump. Plus I own 4 liquids- 2 pumps and two squeeze bottles.

aviscardi

(0) Hearts

anyone?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 14 hearts
  • 4 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • sephoramusthave