MarciaBrady

Let's talk about matte foundations.

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

So, for years I've been chasing that youthful glow, but now given the stellar contouring and highlighting products out there, I think I'd like to try some matte finishes with them. You know, velvety. Any recommendations on what to try?

Oh…adding…my skin runs a bit dry and is fair with some freckles. Generous coverage would be a plus.

andyhtrieu

Re: Let's talk about matte foundations.

(0) Hearts

The Estee Lauder Double Wear, to me, has a semi matte finish. It's not a full on matte finish like the Kat Von D Lock It Tattoo foundation. It's a great foundation, but I don't know how well it will work with your dry skin. I've tried the Illamasqua Skin Base too, and it's a matte finish with a slight sheen. It's better than the KVD in my opinion. 

If you want to use a full on matte foundation, definitely moisturizer and hydrate your skin very well before hand so your skin can still look good. 

MarciaBrady

(0) Hearts

The weather. If I could post a link right now it would be Stevie Ray Vaughn, Couldn't stand the weather. How did those Hollywood stars get that velvet finis!h under the bright lights and punishing heat?  Oh, right…constant artists at their disposal. We will find a way! LOL.

jemly

(0) Hearts

i used to use NARS sheer matte foundation and really loved it. i wanted to look like a serge lutens photograph, so matte finishes really spoke to me at the time. i liked the buildable coverage. i did find it drying after a while, though (as in after a few months of use, not right away). BUT that was before i shifted my skincare routine and treated myself for dehydrated skin. so my advice is, regardless of which brand you choose, take care of your skin, listen to it, and the matte foundation will work out well.

MarciaBrady

(0) Hearts

See. that's what I'm talking about! Photographs like that. It's not something I plan to do every day. I'd just like to know I'm equipped for the option. I live in Polar Vortex central - there's another one coming next week, apparently - so dryness is a big concern. It's good to know that with the foundation it doesn't take hold on its own for a while.

jemly

(0) Hearts

you can be the ice queen !

serge-lutens-001.jpg

MarciaBrady

(0) Hearts

That is enviable. When I see those ads I do wonder how in the hell they do that. I'm now realizing at the age of 44 that I may have missed my calling. Of course, everything looks fun from the outside. The person who invented that no doubt had an unbelievably stressful day. But, that is the type of finish I'm looking for. :9

jemly

(0) Hearts

definitely check out the nars sheer matte, then. i was inspired by the serge looks and that's what i got with my nars ! 

but i MUST emphasize--especially with your insane (yes, INSANE) climate--hydrate your skin if you want a matte finish to work right. this goes for anyone interested in matte finishes, regardless of climate, but particularly for harsh cold climates. 

MarciaBrady

I've found great climate relief by sleeping in the Tarte Maraucja. It carried me though Polar Vortex part 1. Because nature can be cruel, part deux is coming next week. Statistically hottest week of the year and we're getting a high of 50. I mean, hooray for a bunch of people who typically suffer because air conditioning isn't really worth it in general so they don't bother installing it, but boo hiss at 50 in July, If you don't hear from me in the coming days it's because I got frozen solid and can't type. Seriously, 50 in July?

mrsbaine

(0) Hearts

uh, where do you live?!? (If you don't mind me asking) I'm in the mid Atlantic and I'm fighting 90degree days. So skincare will be your best friend. You shoukd try genius cream by Algenist. 

MarciaBrady

I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan close to the Wisconsin border. I'm about an hour and a half northeast of Green Bay, Wi. It's gorgeous, but man does it get cold!

I've been wanting to try the Genius cream, but I'm afraid I'll love it. That could end up being a very expensive habit. LOL. I use their eye lift gel and it's amazing. I may break down and get some when there's a sale. I'm sure it's unbelievable.

redwagon44

Woo for the UP! I went to college at MTU. Beautiful area, but so, so, cold!!

MarciaBrady

And, Ice Queen would fit my daily UpperPenninsula lifestyle. It's supposed to reach a high of 50 next week.

jemly

(0) Hearts

well if you need to heat things up.... :smileywink:

Serge_Lutens_01.jpg

JayReed

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Since your skin is a bit dry a semi/demi-matte finish would be perfect. Sometimes a matte finish can be a little drying for those who do not have oily skin. Depending on your budget Urban Decay Naked foundation is really great, it's semi-matte so it wouldn't be so flat, or my all time favorite is Guerlain Lingerie De Peau Foundation! Both have medium buildable to full coverage.

mrsbaine

I like the Naked one. It's more of a natural finish on me. I also like YSL Touché Éclat which is also natural. KVD makes a matte one as does Clinique. I'm preferring a natural finish these days. 

MarciaBrady

(0) Hearts

I agree, natural and fabulous is a good thing. Two votes for the Naked! I have to admit I haven't tried as much Urban Decay as I probably should have. I recently bought a KVD pallet and was blown away. Clinique always does quality, no doubt. I've tried YSL shadows and lip products, but never a skin one. See what I mean? These are tough choices! LOL (but not). It's good to know there are so many amazing products out there. Makes a search so much easier to go about - within the range, nothing is going to completely fail. Thanks! I now have direction and options.

JayReed

It can get a little overwhelming! So glad BT is here I have learned so much just being on here! Let us know how your search goes! :smileyhappy:

MarciaBrady

I know! One of my favorite things about BT is that nobody's blowing smoke. From what I"ve seen everything suggested in general is legit and thoughtful and that's the most one can ever ask for. My only wish is that there were trial sizes of everything. And world peace and a healthy planet. 

JayReed

Me too, girl! lol no doubt! 

MarciaBrady

Thanks so much. I've been reading reviews and the thing that's concerned me in general is the additional drying people talk about. I'm pretty positive I have a sample of the Lingerie De Peau, but I never realized it was in the matte category.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 10 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • mrsbaine
    • JayReed
    • andyhtrieu
    • redwagon44
    • MarciaBrady
    • jemly