kissXmakeup

Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation

(0) Hearts

Hello ladies! I have yet to find my HG foundation and it is so frustrating! I got a sample in the store yesterday and tried it out today..  I loved it when first applied, been wearing it since 6 am! My face is somewhat oily right now, what do you ladies suggest? I want to love it :smileysad: I applied it with my fingers and I set it with my MAC Studio Fix powder.  

ashleynne

Re: Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation

(0) Hearts

translucent.jpg

I'm very oily and have a hard time making my foundation last all dayTranslucent powder is the best thing to set a foundation. May I suggest Laura Mercier's loose setting powder. It has the highest rating compared to other ones. And has over double the amount the product as well. It's $35. It's my favorite setting powder I've used. Later in the day if you happen to get oily just dust a little on top of your face again to absorb the oil and reset your foundation keeping it in place.

Don't worry I have yet to find my HG foundation as well! I currently have in my drawer the cover fx total cover cream and kat von d's lock it tattoo foundation. Hopefully at least one of those two will be it. I'm constantly jumping around to different foundations. :smileysad:  

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

You'll be fine. I know your excited to get it.

beautylovingirl

[ Edited ]

@kissXmakeup- That picture is ridiculous you don't have to worry about your face looking like that. Just dont' worry about all the unecessary book of detail just apply what is in the lid after you open it and you'll be fine. It's that simple!

kissXmakeup

Thanks so much! I am so excited to buy it tomorrow, Cast Discount Days at Sephora for disney cast members (: I have a list already!

DTalksAll

That's why I said "a light hand is a must". It's not that uncommon if used improperly just Google image search "MUFE hd powder" 

You'll want to use a big fluffy brush and just pick up the tiniest amount of product and lightly buff it on your face. I know some people just use it on their oily spots and don't apply it on the rest of the face (like under eyes and cheeks) 

DTalksAll

Be careful with translucent powders. A light hand is a must! 

swfupload_5313605395818505779.jpg

kissXmakeup

(0) Hearts

This is exactly what I was thinking about when I posted this thread. I have seen too many translucent powder fails and I DEFINITELY do not want to look like that in graduation photos!

lylysa

In regards to mishaps like those above, this is caused when too much silica based powder (now known as HD/high definition powders from brands/names like MUFE, Urban Decay Razor Sharp, Too Faced Prime & Poreless Powder, Tarte Smooth Operator, etc.) is layered and packed onto skin.

The silica particles themselves are rounded and spherical in nature, hence the ability to bend and refract light around imperfections and give a smoother, more diffused look to skin. With that being said, because the particles are rounded and meant to just lay on the surface rather than be buffed on like a traditional powder, when too much is applied, the particles have no choice but to built a layer that rather than let light around/through, just blocks out light entirely and ends up being visible in photos with flash. HD powders are not touch up powders, they are meant as finish powders to set your make up once it's completed rather than reapplied to absorb oil, shine, or sweat, doing do will lead to too much product built up and visibility.

To avoid that or any issue with powders being too chalky or visible, the key is to use a fine amount. Use large powder brushes that have loose bristles rather ones that are densely packed to give a softer application. Work with a fine amount of powder at a time, it's easier to add to if needed than it is to cake a lot on and try to sweep it away. Try also using stippling or fan brushes, which deposit less product on skin as they don't pick up as much to begin with. If you have to touch up with powder throughout the day, try using a thin brush (like the one that comes in Benefit's Hello Flawless compact, it's wide and thin) or using a translucent powder like Too Faced's Absolutely Invisible.

Another option if you don't want to use powder or blotting sheets to get rid of shine, take a oil controlling, silicone/dimethicone based primer like Benefit's Porefessional and dab that over skin on shiny spots. It can be used as a pore minimizer, primer under make up, and over make up touch up product. The texture is silky (as is with the use of silicone/dimethicone) and will help absorb shine without the fear or a dry, powder finish or cast on skin.

makeupmaven

Agreed! The trick w/ the HD Powder is that if you can see it on your brush, you have way too much on it. I like their HD Kabuki Brush with it (which also works well for applying foundation). Just a pinch is all you need...like less than the amount of cinnamon that you'd sprinkle on a cappuccino..swirl in the lid, tap the excess off (unlikely if you've started w/ a miniscule amount).

lylysa

A lil dab will do ya, a whole lot will screw ya :smileytongue:

kissXmakeup

I will definitely have to look into the other products mentioned! It seems like I have a lot to do during my next Sephora visit! Thank you so much, that helped a lot. 

lylysa

No problem! HD powders are definitely a camera's best friend, to avoid it looking built up or chalky, try doing your make up at the beginning of the day and using a regular translucent powder over it and a setting spray. Once you get to taking your graduation photos, whip out the HD powder and a brush and gently sweep it onto skin. That works well with stippling or fan brushes, if you use a traditional powder brush, swirl some powder onto the brush then dab/pat it onto skin but also roll your hand with the brush as you apply it to other areas, this technique will allow you to "press/lay" product onto skin and not overwork areas.

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

@kissXmakeup- As far as the HD powder no they don't leave a white cast . I'm not sure if the Tarte does or not.

kissXmakeup

Thanks so much for your advice @beautylovingirl, I really appreciate it. I can't wait to go in store and see which I end up buying.

kissXmakeup

(0) Hearts

I have graduation in a couple of weeks and want to wear something that will photograph well. I know that the powders are translucent, but does that show up as chalky or create that white cast in flash photos?

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

@kissXmakeup- I have not tried the Tarte one but it's also a great option.

melissabt

Hi KissXmakeup,

I agree, a light setting powder like the Tarte or the Make Up Forever HD Microfinish Powder are both great. I like them because, they go on 'clear' and look natural and not cakey on the skin.

MAKE UP FOR EVER - HD Microfinish Powder

http://www.sephora.com/hd-microfinish-powder-P210400?skuId=1510247

<3 Melissa
kissXmakeup

(0) Hearts

How do you apply the foundation? I know most people apply it with their fingers, would it be okay to use a brush? Or will it steal all the product away from my face? :smileytongue:

lylysa

Foundations should more than often be applied with a tool aside your fingers. Though skin care and primers are applied with hands/fingers, you're required to work more with a foundation to blend and be sure it's even and during that longer duration of handling, the oils from your skin can intermix and cause issues where your foundation won't set well or cause it to start wearing off quicker during the day.

Try using a synthetic hair brush if you're worried about it absorbing too much product. Synthetic fibers aren't porous, but still clean them off with misting brush cleaner on a tissue/towel and running the brush over the area as to remove surface oils, bacteria, and product so it won't sit and linger until your next use. Wash brushes at least once a week, especially if you use them regularly. Urban Decay's Good Karma Buffing Brush, Too Faced's Retractable Kabuki, and Tarte's Airbrush Finish Bamboo brush are all great options, and even brands like E.L.F. Studio, Eco Tools, and Real Techniques offer great synthetic options.

If you use a sponge, wet it first, squeeze out the excess water and apply foundation from there, this will prevent your sponge from soaking up your foundation since it's already grabbed onto some water.

kissXmakeup

(0) Hearts

I forgot how the powder worked on its own! I do have dry skin! I will definitely try a finishing powder. Have you tried the tarte one?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 19 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • DTalksAll
    • melissabt
    • lylysa
    • ashleynne
    • beautylovingirl