Tiffy20

I really want to learn how to conture!!!

I went to Sephora yesterday and I purchased the Sephora mattifying foundation in deep 56 for contouring (which was recommended by the MUA and bareMinerals ‘’The Love Affair’ luminizer for high lighting. Any tips or how to videos on conturing? I’ve checked out a lot of them on youtube but it seems so hard.

Tiffy20

Re: I really want to learn how to conture!!!

Thanks guys I will def try :smileyhappy:

lylysa

(0) Hearts

^_^ Practice, practice, practice is a huge part of it!

Best of luck!

lylysa

Just like with any technique, the key is practice, practice, practice.

Take a look at this thread from not long ago, I created a diagram that breaks down, contouring, highlighting, and even blush techniques and give a run down of the basic principles of the methods.

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Makeup/experimenting-with-new-makeup-ideas/m-p/416325#M1078

miabt

Hi Tiffy20, Countouring takes a bit of practice to perf...

[ Edited ]

Hi Tiffy20,

Countouring takes a bit of practice to perfect, but once you do, the results are gorgeous, glowing skin :smileyhappy:  A great way to remember it is any areas that light would naturally hit is where you want to highlight and the areas where shadow would naturally be is the areas to contour.  Kim Kardashian posted a photo of her face before blending and it a great guide :smileyhappy:

xo, Mia

drrragon

Re: Hi Tiffy20, Countouring takes a bit of practice to perf...

[ Edited ]

Wow that is really cool!  I wonder what products she was using.  I'd love to try contouring with creams rather than powders.

edit to add: actually her highlight looks like a big pencil, like the NYX milk pencil...hmmm...

beautytester

Contouring is usually done with luminizer, blush and bronzer. It can be complicated and overwhelming, so I suggest starting with just one product (blush or bronzer) on the strategic area to get a feel for it, then two products, then all three.

Recently I'm hooked on SephoraTV, which have some simple tutorials on contouring:

http://www.sephora.com/sephoratv/sephoratv.jsp?ooid=15ZG5yNTqRLfcleWG2qijhd7P3FOdHNA

http://www.sephora.com/sephoratv/sephoratv.jsp?ooid=hwMzMzNjo7bIBDMZdKkE6fJ86FMrlky5

kenny

As others mentioned it just takes practice.

But in all it's a fairly simple concept to darken areas where there naturally are shadows and lighten areas that are naturally more prominent to create more dimension and angle to your face. But it definitely depends on your face shape. I have a more round face, so  I focus on contouring in the hollows of the cheeks, the sides of the nose, jawline and temples, this helps slim my face and add more angles. Then I highlight my cheek bones and brow bones. I stay away from highlighting the center of my nose and chin, just because I have oilier skin and those areas usually have a "natural glow".

Mostly just play around with it and make sure to BLEND!

gaileygal

Keep watching the youtube videos! It takes patience and lots of practice. Everyone's skin is different so just experiment with different techniques and see what works best for you. You might even want to start out by trying to contour with a powder product like a bronzer or just a setting powder a little darker than your skin tone. It gives you better practice for the foundation! 

Hope I've helped! :smileyhappy:

Abigail

sportygirly

Kandee Johnson has a good tutorial on how and where to contour and highlight the face.  It just comes down to practice.  After a while you will get the hang of it.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 12 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • kenny
    • drrragon
    • lylysa
    • beautytester
    • sportygirly
    • gaileygal