cassiemo14

I am totally fed up, someone please help me with face makeup!!

(0) Hearts

I am totally fed up with my face. I need serious help.

I am 22 years old, I have blonde hair, blue eyes, and rosy cheeks, and dark circles under my eyes.

I'm not ugly, but my makeup problems have been really making me feel that way lately.

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but here are my problems:

1. I do not know how to cover up my red cheeks. I've tried different concealer and foundations, but it either doesn't cover it up, or I have to use so much that I look like a pancake.

2. I don't know how to cover up my under eye circles. Nothing covers well, and when i use more it just settles into my fine lines.

3. There are girls whose skin looks flawless- it all looks like an even tone and it looks GLOWING. someone please help me achieve this! I know for a fact this girl doesn't look this way naturally, so it can be acheived. I don't want to look like i'm wearing makeup, but bb creams and tinted moisturizers arent enough.

Someone please help me! 

palegardenia

Re: I am totally fed up, someone please help me with face makeup!!

(0) Hearts

I have the same pale skin issues. I just found NARS radiant creamy concealer in light1 and for me it is perfect for the dark circles under my eyes (I always to use a good eye cream first as my skin gets very dry there).

I think an important thing to remember if you want that glowing look is not to try to cover everything up. Use a light foundation and maybe a moisturizing primer. I don't try to take the redness out of the top part of my cheeks as that is a natural blush, if I am doing a full makeup took then I conceal the redness in the lower part of my cheeks. Does that make sense? If I have any blemishes I use a tiny brush to spot conceal - but the idea is to keep as much of your makeup as light and natural as possible. Honestly, as I have gotten older (mid twenties) I have realized that the redness in my cheeks is not as bad as I thought it was and most days I don't try to cover it up.

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

when I read you use the clarisonic everyday I was like wow! I have used it once (for a facial) and it caused my cheeks to get really red. Have never used it since. It was way too abrasive for my skin. A simple peel (2 times a week) works best for me for exfoliation, then some nice moisture! 

tamacirrus

(0) Hearts

The trick to glownig skin is to not use too much product.  As a makeup artist, it is better to stick to simple, effective products.  This is my usual routine for clients with uneven textures.

First, I like to correct with a BB cream.  A BB cream is a blemish balm which gives you great oil control, balances the skin, and acts as a primer.  Some of them brighten, others do antiaging, oil control, etc.  My favorite currently is the Urban Decay Naked Skin.  It has a good yellow undertone so it should counteract the redness that you are seeing in your cheeks.  A very close second is Smashbox BB Cream.  It has the same texture as their primer, with the added benefits of SPF and anti-aging properties.

A BB cream will give you light coverage, enough to just even out your skin so that you get a good canvas to apply makeup on.

Secondly, to get glowing skin I recommend a dewy finish foundation.  I like Urban Decay Naked Foundation, Nars Sheer Glow, Dior Nude, and YSL Touche Eclat to give the skin a radiant boost.   If you want coverage, go with Urban Decay Naked Foundation.  It dries more to a satin finish, so it's not to dewy.  It gives a medium coverage.

If you need more coverage, try a cream foundation.  Applied correctly, it can make your skin look glowing and natural.  I love CoverFx Cream Foundations.  You should apply it with the Sephora Airbrush Foundation Brush (the little one.  I believe it's number 56).  It goes on like a dream, blends beautifully, and gives you medium to heavy coverage without cake.

I would not recommend a heavy duty concealer.  Instead, I would use a color corrector to brighten the eye area and a light concealer to color correct.  If you want a 2 in 1, try the MUFE HD Concealer.  It's great for coverage under the eye area without the cake.  I personally like Laura Mercier's Undercover Pots under the eye for clients who need more coverage.

Do NOT finish with a foundation powder.  Finishing with a powder will give you more coverage but you sacrifice the natural look you are going for.  Just let the foundation dry, or use a translucent powder to set it.

DesertRose0706

(0) Hearts

Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation may be good match for you.  It gives great coverage, without being too heavy of a formula.  You can go to an Estee Lauder counter and ask to be color matched and get a sample to try it out.  I would definetely get some samples of different foundations (Sephora gives samples too, just ask them in the store) and try them to see what gives you the look you are going for.

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

@cassiemo14- Keely has some great suggestions and simple products also.

cassiemo14

thanks everyone! i'll try your suggestions!

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Let us know how it works out for you! Try hitting up your local Sephora for a consultation or even just to try out products and get a feel for them before committing!

lylysa

First, frustration is never a good way to kick things off, but understandably, it's inevitable when you don't feel the best about your skin and find it difficult to find the right products and techniques to make things better.

From what you've shared, you have redness on your cheeks and dark under eye circles.

By chance is the redness just natural flushing and inflammation, or is it also accompanied by any sensitivity or soreness? Do you notice it getting worse or more red during certain conditions like with the weather or with uses of certain products/ingredients?

Do you drink enough water, get enough sleep, avoid using excess pressure around your eye area, or live in a more elavated or drier environment?

What products do you currently use for day and night in your skin care regimen? What cosmetics do you use/have you used to combat these issues? Aside from the redness and dark circles, do you have other issues with your skin, in terms of oil, dryness, sensitivities, or is it normal?

cassiemo14

(0) Hearts

My red cheeks are not associated with any medical condition. My under eye cirlces are hereditary.

I wash my face following the clarisonic cleansing system and always moisturize. I get plenty of sleep and I follow a very healthy, organic diet.

Products I use: I was using Clinique doublepowder as my foundation. yesterday I went to target and bought some Rimmel liquid foundation and hated it. And then just a variety of different brands of concealer, including but not limited to: neutrogena, amazing eyes, pixi color corrector, maybelleine, etc.

I'd liked to use some kind of illumiator but I know I can't venture into that without first getting my foundation down. Thanks!

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Which Clarisonic head/brush are you using? Do you just use it once daily, or more than one time a day?

cassiemo14

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

just a normal one. I use it once a day. What i'm trying to get across is that the redness in my cheeks and the dark circles are not going anywhere and are not a result of poor skincare. I need to disguise them. Do you have any suggestions for that?

PickyPlease

(0) Hearts

How often do you use the clarisonic? What moisturizer? Do you take vitamins like omega 3s and zinc? I would suggest those.

cassiemo14

(0) Hearts

I use it once a day. I take vitamins and eat properly. What i'm trying to get across is that the redness in my cheeks and the dark circles are not going anywhere and are not a result of poor skincare. I need to disguise them. Do you have any suggestions for that?

lylysa

First step, try a neutralizing primer in green to combat the redness in your cheeks, though you do want to also combat the dark circles, your cheeks cover a larger area and under eye concealers/correctors will address that area specifically, so for your complexion, a green tinted primer will help neutralize the appearance of redness in your skin. MUFE and Smashbox make versions, use a pea sized amount and smooth it onto skin after letting your moisturizer set (Murad makes a great redness soothing green lotion that's very light weight, infused with antioxidant and fruit extracts, and has SPF to protect skin).

Depending on whether you like to do concealer first or foundation will be the next step, I like going foundation first since you cover a larger area, so this will even out your skin all over, allowing you to just touch up areas that need extra rather than completing coating skin in concealer and then adding foundation over it, making those larger areas feel heavier or caked with product. Try a full coverage foundation such as Kat Von D, Tarte's Amazonian Clay Foundation, MUFE's Velvet Mat, or Smashbox's 15 Hour Foundation. Use a flat, traditional foundation brush for the densest coverage, or a buffing brush (like Urban Decay's Good Karma Buffing Brush) for medium coverage that will allow you to build up but also gives the skin a more diffused look.

Now that we're going to cover concealers, I'll also get into the dark circles part, depending on the undertone of your circles, you can pick a corrector that will best neutralize. If they're more blue toned, use a salmon or peach based corrector, if they're more purple, use a yellow based concealer, if they border on teal or green, use a rose or pink toned corrector. Bobbi Brown, Laura Mercier, MUFE (palette), and Becca make great correctors/concealers in these tones.

Use a small, detailed concealer brush (Laura Mercier makes one) and dab/pat the corrector from the inner corner of the eye outward, not just covering the direct under eye. Use a fine amount as your goal with a corrector isn't to cover everything but to help tone down the target area. After, go back with a slightly wider concealer brush and pat/dab on a flesh toned concealer that is about a shade or two lighter than your complexion as the under eye area needs to be illuminated and picking one that is the exact shade can end up causing the eye area to look darker. Use patting/dabbing motions to place and blend product so it can set rather than brushing it, which you're just causing it to move around and thin out. Amazing Cosmetics, MUFE, Kat Von D, Smashbox, Laura Mercier, and Benefit all make excellent liquid and cream concealers that layer well over correctors. Once the product has time to set on the area, use a fan brush with some setting powder and lightly dust/sweep on some powder to draw out excess moisture and set the concealed area.

For your cheeks, if you find the foundation you're using doesn't provide enough coverage, even after adding slightly more to build on coverage, take a flesh toned concealer (some of the ones mentioned above will work) and dab it over areas of redness that is still showing, you can work to blend it back in with a buffing brush to remove brush strokes or streaks if that occurs. Set your foundation/concealer with a setting powder, even one with a tint to add a bit more color/coverage. Smashbox's HALO, Benefit's Hello Flawless, and MUFE's new Pro foundation powder all work. Use a large brush to sweep and buff on the product onto skin.

Once you've mastered a technique for covering your redness and circles, you can work on illuminating your skin. An easy way to do is is with liquid or very creamy highlighters, these can mix well and be applied with concealers, foundation, over cheeks, and to the under eye area. Benefit's High Beam, Sun Beam, Moon Beam, and Girl Meets Pearl all work and you can pick one depending on preference and undertones. High Beam works well for fair, pink toned skin, while Sun Beam is better for yellow/warmer complexions, Moon Beam and GMP is suitable for all as it has a blend of golden champagne and pink tones. You can work with luminizers in a number of ways, either mixing a drop or two into your foundation for an all over glow, or dotting some along your upper cheeks and orbital bone for more direct/localized placement where light naturally hits the highest points of your face.

If you're afraid of too many liquids on your face and it not causing your make up to set or it thinning down the foundation/concealer, powder luminizers work just as well. Stila, Lorac, Benefit, Smashbox, Too Faced, and Hourglass make great options.

I created a diagram that shows areas to highlight as a basic guideline you can refer to that also shows application tips.

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Makeup/experimenting-with-new-makeup-ideas/m-p/416325#M1078

PickyPlease

I would suggest limiting the clarisonic to a few times a week and replacing the other days with a non exfoilating cleanser. Though they suggest once or twice a day, its just too much exfoliating that no one needs. 

We're not saying its poor skincare, it just helps to know what's going on for the canvas before talking bout the paint. 

If you're ok with it, I suggest letting your red cheeks flush through, our natural blush peeks through foundation through the day anyways. It may be a natural beauty gift! But I'm open to that idea being not for you.

Concealer wise- how are you applying it? I use sheer foundation but thick concealer (dark acne scars, so I understand. And shiseido concealer stick but it may be discontinued) and had issues with it settling or having to cake it on. Do you use a dense sponge? The elizabeth arden blender brush blends my thick layer of concealer and I think its amazing. Its only $15. Thick eye cream and blending my concealer with a dense sponge drastically changed how my concealer worked on me.

keelybt

@Cassiemo14 I totally understand.  I have that natural redness that usually requires at least a medium coverage makeup. I would recommend trying

Diorskin Nude Skin-Glowing Makeup SPF 15.  It gives a medium coverage and leaves your skin with a beautiful natural glow.

swfupload_5004616281044774174.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/diorskin-nude-skin-glowing-makeup-spf-15-P230421?skuId=1443480

For your undereye area, I would recommend trying a corrector before the concealer. It will help neutralize the dark pigment and make covering a lot easier.

swfupload_7806038803899470676.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/corrector-P270555?skuId=1317650

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 7 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • lylysa
    • roxystar4
    • beautylovingirl