tessie84

How do decide if your foundation color is correct....?

So, like many people, my skin tone isn't even -- my nose is lighter than my cheeks/chin which are lighter than my forehead. For someone who has a darker skin tone (I have been NC45 in MAC but was recently told I should be going with NC44), how do you decide what to match to? Even when I went into MAC recently, they tried to match the foundation to my neck, but it's lighter than my cheeks/chin so I'm not so sure about how it looks on me. (I should mention that I like a light to medium application. I feel if I liked a full look, this probably wouldn't be as much of an issue.) What am I matching to, or, in other words, how do I know if I'm using the best color for me?

beauty4ashes

Re: How do decide if your foundation color is correct....?

gossmakeupartist (Wayne) on YouTube just described how to tell if the foundation you're wearing is truly the right color for you! I had no idea but I tried it and it's AMAZING!

Always at a cosmetic counter they stripe your face on the cheek to a few inches to your neck, right? Then if that matches, then you buy it...however, what Wayne described changed the way my foundation looks.

He said most women wear low neckline shirts which is true for me. He said put your foundation on, take off your shirt (LOL) place your chin down on your chest area.

WOW! I did that and I'm a different foundation color. I know most people HATE to bring foundation down past a few inches under their necks. Seriously, if you are able to use a full coverage water resistant or waterproof foundation, you can bring the foundation down to where your chest begins.

Even if a product says "full coverage" you still can sheer it down, I do. It's a "medium coverage foundation" when I apply VERY sparingly & you can still see your real skin underneath.

When I use that technique, I sheer the make-up on my neck. The ONLY problem with this technique is I've seen so many women with hyper-pigmentation/freckles ect., on their chest so it won't work for everyone. 

b34utyb4by

(0) Hearts

Honestly i usually try to match it to the center of my face because when I add bronzer it basically makes the color on the outside of my face anyways! Usually my foundation is a shade lighter than my chest so when I add bronzer it matches!

makeupmaven

(0) Hearts

One other approach (not to negate any of the good advice here), is to match the chest. You don't want to have a "floating head" effect, so if you match your chest this may be the closest "happy medium" of the tones in your skin. Using two shades also makes sense so that you don't end up with a mask-like effect.

IttyxBittyxMe

You have what's called 'facial masking' which is very common among african american women. The thing is, there is no such thing as one foundation that will be perfect on our face [with the two colors anyway] as we have two to three different colors in it. That what you see a lot of AA youtube MUA's end up two or three shades lighter by the end of their videos because they match to that one color. The trick is to match to each color in your face.

So for me the inner portion of my face is a 9 in the Urban Decay Foundation, the outer portion of my face is a 10. I use the lighter shade on the lighter portion of my face and the darker shade on the darker portion and apply/blend accordingly. When I try to use just one shade of foundation my face looks to dark to me or way to light, but that's because I've gotten rid of the natural highlight my face creates or covered the darker potions which to me give my face a bit of depth.

These videos demontrate better then I can explain.

shoppiturt

There may be hope yet for the two foundations I have that are both too dark for the inner part of my face! Love the second girl's video. I have pretty bad acne scarring too and that gave me some hope I might be able to cover them some day >_< 

IttyxBittyxMe

Glad it helped!

tessie84

[ Edited ]

That's what I was afraid of! I watched a video for L'Oreal that talked about that, but I was hoping I could avoid that since it sounds so expensive. I know it just last longer, but the upfront cost...yikes. However, that may be the best bet, so I will play around with it for the next few days to see what I think. Thanks!

IttyxBittyxMe

(0) Hearts

Oh trust me, I completely understand. I know my matches in the UD foundation but I haven't bought them yet. At $39 a bottle I'm kinda stalling (plus I'm on a no buy).For now I'm just making due with the Dior BB creme in dark, it's one color but I don't think it looks to bad on my skin and it doesn't look like I have a mask on. 

tessie84

I just wanted to let you know I tried it today and yesterday, and it looks great! My cheeks don't look ashy (since they have the darker color), but I don't have darker makeup over the middle of my face (which is what I have been doing for years). Although the colors are different, it really does look seamless and natural, which could also be because I just had to go a shade up to match the interior of my face. It's sad that it makes foundation doubly more expensive -- however, I'm taking solace in the fact that it looks great and then each one should last longer since I'm not using either one for my entire face. Thanks again, @IttyxBittyxMe!

misscg

(0) Hearts

I'm actually the same mac shade in NC45 and also have a hard time with foundation. I'm really picky about my foundation and recently decided to try to match my neck since most foundations I've tried darken my complexion and doesn't match my neck. I also have strong yellow undertones and have trouble finding foundation that's yellow enough. Lancome is like a lifesaver for me, i where 460w in the teint idol(or something like that lol) and recently was matched to MUFE HD 173 which also works for me. However  most days I where Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer in tan or Nars tm in seychelles.

I also set my foundation with powder and find that powder foundation is more forgiving and corrects the lighter or darker areas of my face. I like mac stdio powder plus foundation in nc45 and also MUFE hd powder in 174,

Io  really hopes this help :smileyhappy:  

tessie84

(0) Hearts

@misscg -- I'm so glad to see I'm not alone! I know a lot of people complain that the NC45 shade is too yellow/orange, but I feel like it's the only one (so far) that has captured the golden-ness of my skin. When I recently went into my local MAC, the woman wanted to switch me to NC44 since she felt the NC45 was a tad bit too red. However, the NC44 is missing the yellow. Additionally, my neck is pretty yellow (although lighter than my face), so I'm thinking my original shade was probably the best. However, I'll look at the Lancome. It's a little bit more than what I wanted to spend, but I need to look correct.

How would you compare the Lancome to the MAC?

tessie84

(0) Hearts

Actually, nvm on the Lancome. It sounds great, but I'm allergic to the sunscreen in it. Thanks for the suggestions, though!

notcreative

I personally try to match to my neck, because I hate seeing the wrong color there.  That said, most necks are lighter than the face and if they are too different, it can look really silly near your hair line.  It is usually a personal preference.  Experimenting is usually the best way to find what you prefer.

heartsmyface

You want the foundation to blend in with the color at your jawline and neck so your face matches your body. your looking for seamless transition between face and body. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 15 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • misscg
    • IttyxBittyxMe
    • notcreative
    • tessie84
    • shoppiturt