emilime

Highlighter asian skin

Is there a specific highlighter for types of skin tone? I have asian skin so I don't know if I need a highlighter that has to be a certain color...Any recommendations for a good highlighter?

mkupgk

Re: Highlighter asian skin

(0) Hearts

I am asian and I rarely highlight b/c my face looks glowy after I apply foundation or bb cream.  But I've tried this highlighter that really works well with fair to light skin called the balm luminizer

SportyGirly125

(0) Hearts

I have asian skin and I have tried Smashbox artificial light luminizing lotion and Nars illuminater which are both liquid products.  They were okay but I prefer MAC's lustre drops in sun rush and pink rebel.  They give the right amount of highlight on top of the cheekbones and anywhere else you want to highlight the face.

melissabt

(0) Hearts

Hi Emilime,

Emmaclaire has some good suggestions for you. I have a golden/yellow undertone and find that light peal pink look better. I find that golds just blend in and don't show up as much. Have you ever tried Benefit High Beam? It has a pretty glow which isn't overly glittery. You can wear it underneath, over or mix it in with your favorite foundation. 

high beam.jpg

<3 Melissa
emmaclaire

Well, there are certainly highlighters that cater towards a smaller range of complexions, but most highlighters can be used somewhat universally.  They vary more by the effect you're looking for.

For example, if you're looking for a more golden glow, Benefit Sunbeam might be a good choice.  If you want a very natural and subtle highlighter, Make Up For Ever Uplight #11 can do the trick nicely.

I've found it helpful to think about the formula I want in the highlighter and then test out some shades.  For example, I wear face powder, so I really wanted a powder highlighter.  A lot of people really love liquid or cream highlighters as well.  Do you have a preference in that regard?  I can recommend a few I've tried if you have some ideas about what you're looking for.

emilime

(0) Hearts

Well I prefer the cream/liquid products. I don't want it to be too shimmery, just a radiant/natural look. 

emmaclaire

OK!  There are a ton of great natural looking products out there to try!

If you want a VERY natural and subtle look, Make Up For Ever Uplight #11 would be great.  It's a pinkish champagne liquid gel that provides just the slightest bit of glow.  You can mix it into your foundation/moisturizer/bb cream for an all-over radiance, or just apply to the areas you want to highlight.

Benefit High Beam is also very pretty, but it IS pretty frosty.  I like that (as do a lot of others) but I don't know if it would be the most natural looking choice.  It's not sparkly, but it is very pearly and frosty and light.  If you use just a bit you can probably get the result you're looking for.

BECCA Shimmering Skin Perfector in Moonstone or Opal would probably be absolutely perfect for you as well!  It's a liquid luminizer that creates an amazingly stunning gentle glow and radiance.  The single drawback is the price - it's $41!  If that isn't an issue, this is the one I would recommend most because it's just that beautiful and easy to use.

You might also want to look at Benefit Watt's Up (very neutral beige highlight) or Girl Meets Pearl (a slightly deeper, rosier highlight), as they have the added bonus of super easy application.  Watt's Up is a stick gel that you can apply directly from the tube onto your skin, and Girl Meets Pearl is a liquid in a really fun tube with a sponge applicator and a click-up bottom.  Very very straightforward and mess-free.

Lastly, Illamasqua's Gleam Cream in Aurora is a really pretty cream highlighter!  It's a great price, and the effect is glowing without the sparkle or shimmer in some other products.  It gives a very nice and very subtle look, and it's easy to apply as well.

I hope this helps!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 hearts
  • 5 in conversation
    • emmaclaire
    • melissabt
    • emilime
    • SportyGirly125
    • mkupgk