blackunicorn

Guerlain Meteorite + talc

(0) Hearts

So tomorrow, I was going to buy Lingerie de Peau & try the Meteorite in stores to see if I like them enough to buy them. BUT, I think I took for granted that because this is such a high end product, it did not contain talc. But it does! I am shocked. I'm not paying 60+$ for some pretty pearls made of talc. 

Is this just me or what? I never had problem with talk, and I wouldn't mind it too much if it was a 25$ powder, but for the price I'm paying, it better be talc free. Is is just me or if sometimes, luxury brands are a little behind in terms of ingredients and all?

What are your thoughts?

JayReed

Re: Guerlain Meteorite + talc

Honestly if you want that luiinous effect you are better off buying the Hourglass Luminating powder or Bare Minerals Illuminating powder. Both work so much better in my opinion. The Meteorite's to me are just collectors makeup/brand. I do love the LDP foundation, my all time favorite. 

blackunicorn

(0) Hearts

Yes, you might be right... I will try them in store next time I'm at Sephora. Thanks for the advice!

H216

If you are avoiding talc facial powders for health reasons, it is perfectly understandable why you wouldn't want to pay $60+ for it. Talc in cosmetics isn't regulated so I can understand the concern. Even safe non-asbestos talc doesn't have enough research behind it. That's why they say don't use it on babies (even though baby powder itself is talc based).

I dont avoid it completely but do avoid it daily. I have both hourglass and metiorites but don't use them daily. Also tend to highlight the top of my cheeks and bridge of my nose. 

if you are at risk for cancer,particularly lung cancer, then definitely stay away from talc contai I g powders for face. It's best to be safe.

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

The thing about lung cancer....I'm pretty sure that's about if you inhale the powder, and in that case it's not talc, it's all powders. Am I the only one who temporarily hold my breathe when I'm using powder on my face? (and even if my powders smell pretty, I try not to sniff it except to check for expiration)

H216

(0) Hearts

it's been found with talc specifically. 

bratknits

That's not true, it's been going around for years based on some histrionic, ill understood reporting.  Talc miners have been found to show a slight increase in lung cancer BUT, and this is a great big important BUT, talc miners are exposed to known carcinogen that accompany talc in it's natural form like asbestos and radon.  There is no increased risk of lung cancer with cosmetic grade talc, none.  The American Cancer Society had to put up a page debunking that rumor because so many people, including news outlets reporting it, didn't understand the difference.

H216

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Cancer dot org itself states there's just not enough research available.

all I'm saying is if someone is particularly concerned, I'd completely support them not to use products with talc. If we are not concerned then no big deal.

bratknits

That's a far cry from "it's been found" which is what you stated.  "Not enough research" is also a bit misleading, it implies that more research would result in a particular finding.  There has been research and the results were mixed to nil which is why there hasn't been more, there was nothing in the results that made looking into it further a priority.  If people are really concerned about lung cancer from talc they should wear appropriate filter masks while working 40+ hours a week in a talc mine.

H216

(0) Hearts

I replied it's been found with talc specifically compared to other powders.

bratknits

No it hasn't.  If you had read the entirety of the cancer dot org page you referenced you would have seen the following at the end of the section on lung cancer.

"No increased risk of lung cancer has been reported with the use of cosmetic talcum powder."

H216

(0) Hearts

And further down in regards to reducing exposure to talcum powder, I'll quote:

"

It is not clear if consumer products containing talcum powder increase cancer risk. Studies of personal use of talcum powder have had mixed results, although there is some suggestion of a possible increase in ovarian cancer risk. There is very little evidence at this time that any other forms of cancer are linked with consumer use of talcum powder.

Until more information is available, people concerned about using talcum powder may want to avoid or limit their use of consumer products that contain it. For example, they may want to consider using cornstarch-based cosmetic products instead. There is no evidence at this time linking cornstarch powders with any form of cancer."

bratknits

Ummmmmm where exactly are you using your face powder?  That statement is entirely about "jock itch" type powders and areas because that's what the study that came up with "maybe" was using as a sample.  So unless people are using face powder in areas not the face ... it's safe.

H216

I'm sorry but ive just lost too many loved ones to cancer and as MY original response mentioned, its best to play it safe. Please stop arguing because I'm only trying to help in my post.  i can see we're coming at this in very different ways.

Regarding my last quote from cancer dot org, "until more information is available, people concerned about using talcum powder may want to avoid or limit their use of consumer products that contain it." ~ that is all I was trying to get at in the very beginning.

bratknits

Misinformation unsupported by science doesn't help it creates unnecessary fear and anxiety.  The only possible suggested cancer link, and it was a study of less than 20 people so it could have been a fluke, was application to the genital area where the theory is it traveled directly through the reproductive system to the ovaries themselves..  There has never been any evidence that cosmetic powders applied to other areas causes cancer, ZERO.  Unless you really feel people are putting setting powder in their undies it has nothing to do with anything anyone was discussing here and can only be detrimental.

H216

(0) Hearts

Misinformation? Saying its best to be safe if u are at risk? Wow, you are really mis-interpreting my message. 

bratknits

There is no risk of lung cancer with cosmetic talc, period.

sace021

This applies more to larger particulates so I guess you could say larger particles were worse to inhale since the body has a harder time "cleaning" them up out of the lungs.  But I agree with you and I hold my breath when I put my face powder on.  (Paranoid scientist problems, lol.)

comfyrock

Larger particles (inhalable dust) get trapped in the nose, throat, and upper respiratory tract as part of the body's screening mechanism.  Respirable dust (~2-4 nanometers) is the problem because the particles are small enough to reach the lungs.

ChicDabbler

For powders, the quality may differ even when ingredients are similar due to processing, like how finely milled they are (partially responsible for the cakey vs. non-cakey feel) and how they are made (reference to redwagon's post).

I'm a skincare addict so I will draw you a skincare anology. Almost every single skincare that is even remotely moisturizing (aside from oil) have glycerin in it within the top ingredients. I just picked up a 6oz bottle of it for $4. Why would a luxury brand use a $4 cheapie as main ingredient and charge $50 for it? Because it works and the quality also comes from how the product is concocted as a whole, the quality/concentration of active ingredients that are WAY pricier, how pure/processed they are, and more is not necessarily better (why would you use a product with 5% citric acid when you can pour lemon juice on your face? cuz you don't want to burn your face off) and balance (some active ingredients are not only best in small doses, but also mixed with other ingredients, and the wrong proportion can make the product unstable or irritating. Of course, they can use natural oil/butter instead of glycerin, but there are various reasons like what I mentioned above.

Anyways, the quantity of one cheap ingredients does not discount the other ingredients or the processing/design that makes it into a quality product. Of course there are high end that are just not worth it, but discounting it because one of the ingredient is cheap is a little silly (it's like saying luxury brands are cheap because they use water as an ingredient instead of rosewater, cucumber water, other-fancy-pricier-water-like-liquid). Yes, you are partially paying for packaging, but when it comes to makeup, it's not a necessity of life but something that makes you feel beautiful, if using something that looks beautiful also makes you feel beautiful, what's wrong with that?

gogreyhound

Talc is simply a mineral--Magnesium Silicate Hydroxide--no different than using other minerals and clays  in products. It has its place and purpose.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 32 replies
  • 52 hearts
  • 12 in conversation
    • sace021
    • ChicDabbler
    • nightknight
    • bratknits
    • blackunicorn
    • gogreyhound