1cros3nail4givn

Foundation search!! Calling all beauty nerds.

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Okay so I just went to my derm and she suggested that I start using gentle non medicated things with a mineral base for my acne prone skin. So I'm in search....but I honestly don't care if it's mineral as long as it works for acne prone skin
I prefer no sunscreen in my make up but if it has it it's not a big deal. Needs to be paraben free. If you know it has chemicals in it that aren't good for you or not good mixed with sun ect. Please don't suggest them.
I'm looking for a foundation or CC or BB cream doesn't matter as long as it's not medicated

I want one that sits on your skin beautifully preferably a healthy glowing look that looks more like skin and not make up. I lovee koh gen do aqua foundation for this reason but I've only sampled it so idk if it's considered good for acne prone skin or if it's medicated in any way

Suggestions pleaseeee!

CharliefromNY

Re: Foundation search!! Calling all beauty nerds.

Have you tried Jane Iredale?  It's really non-irritating and the amazing base powder gives really nice coverage.  You have to be careful getting a color match, so I'd do that in person rather than online....I have dry skin so I can't use it in the winter, but I love it in the summer when my skin is a bit more oily and the NY air is humid.

ladymeag

(0) Hearts

If you don't have anywhere in person near you to swatch Jane Iredale, if you write to their customer service and explain where you are and that you can't swatch, they'll send you some samples if you describe your skin tone and give them some information. 

kelsey808

I have extremely sensitive and acne prone skin and the only face makeup I'll ever use is Jane Iredale. I love the BB cream since it has amazing coverage without clogging my pores (which almost every facial product I've used before tends to do), but they make both liquid and powder foundations as well. Also, all of the products are all natural and irritant free! I highly recommend checking them out.

1cros3nail4givn

(0) Hearts

How do those sit on your skin? Do they have any foundations that give you a nice dewy glowing look?

lylysa

[ Edited ]

Just about all of your standard BB/CCs will contain sunscreen due to the fact it's one of the main features BB/CCs tout around in their arsenal of benefits.

Since your derm suggested you stick with mineral based make up, opt into BB/CCs with mineral sunscreens and avoid chemical based ones. Mineral sunscreens like titianium dioxide and zinc will more likely sit better with what the derm is recommending.

Tarte is a great line designed for sensitive skin that utilizes mineral pigments and avoids parabens, sulfates, gluten, mineral oil, phthalates, and tricolsan.

Tarte - BB Tinted Treatment 12-Hour Primer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Sunscreen

Their BB Tinted Treatment 12 Hour Primer Suncreen with SPF 30 gives the light weight texture of a primer, but the benefits of a BB cream with broad spectrum protection. It utilizes mineral based sunscreen ingredients.

Depending on your skin tone, they do offer an illuminating BB that is SPF free:

Tarte - Amazonian Clay BB Illuminating Moisturizer

It happens to also utilize Amazonian clay to help balance skin and control shine, but still gives a nice glow.

Neither one is formulated with any sort of intense skin treatment or specifically fights acne. They do include vitamins, antioxidants, and humectants to condition skin, but do not contain high potency/active ingredients that may interfere with skin or if you happen to be on any medication.

To be sure, print out ingredient listings and take them to your derm to get a professional review.

1cros3nail4givn

(0) Hearts

Okay yeah I am on medication for my acne and my derm did suggest I stay away from medicated cleansers so I figure that goes with every product that nothing else I use should be medicated. You said these are non-medicated foundations? I thought all BBs had some form of medication...or maybe I'm thinking of CCs....Thank God if they don't! I love BBs and CCs.

lilahtov

Has the KGD been causing breakouts? If not, and you love it, why switch?

Otherwise, if you want a light, glowy foundation, I really love Diorskin Nude. I've been using it for the past year and I don't have acne-prone skin per se, but I break out due to sensitivity if my skin gets irritated. This foundation never caused me to break out. I've also heard really good things about Guerlain's Lingerie de Peau. I swatched it, and it's glowy and beautiful, but too sheer for me. 

Good luck!! <3

P.S. If you want to go the drugstore route, Almay has some lovely foundation in their Clear Complexion line. I love Almay's makeup; it hasn't ever posed a problem for my sensitive skin either.

1cros3nail4givn

Well I haven't actually bought the KGD one yet I've just sampled it. So it's a bit hard to tell. I mayy end up just buying it and trying it unless someone tells me otherwise because it really is gorgeous. It's hard to tell if it's breaking me out or if it's all the other stuff I'm using because I'm about to switch up everything since going to the derm.

ladymeag

If you're going to switch up everything, I would wait on a new foundation until you've been on the new regime for at least two weeks - that way when you introduce a foundation, you'll know if it is the cause of a problem or not. 

Lots of people love Bare Minerals. Korres also has a paraben-free, sulfate-free, mineral foundation (Wild Rose Foundation.) 

1cros3nail4givn

Yeah I guess that would be wise but I've already been out of foundation for about a month and I'm all out of samples....and none of the purely mineral foundations match my skin tone. 

ladymeag

What's your skin tone? Different foundations do better with different skin tone ranges. I know it's hard to keep waiting but I think it might be a good idea, especially if you are going to stray from your dermatologist's recommendation on products to use (due to difficulty in tone matching. Which I totally understand - it's very hard to find a foundation for my skin tone that's light enough, not cakey, doesn't contain ingredients I'm allergic to and won't be discontinued within a month of me finding it. :smileytongue:

Have you tried Jane Iredale? They'll mail you samples if you write in to their email customer service, explain your situation with your skin and your dermatologist's recommendation for a mineral foundation, describe your skin tone, and let them know if you prefer liquid or powder. They were very generous in the set of samples they sent me to test for allergies in my doctor's office. The line is sold in many cosmetic surgery centers and is supposed to be good for sensitive or problem skin. 

1cros3nail4givn

(0) Hearts

I'm a 2y05.....for now lol. My skin tone always seems to change whenever I go into sephora I think mainly based on how irritated my skin is it shows up a little more red. Everytime I buy something new I redo my skin ID lol. Oh and good! Are they mineral based? I will have to contact them....I've also been thinking about caving and testing korres or bare minerals foundations and seeing if I like either.

lilahtov

I was going to try to give more advice, but I think ladymeag's gotcha covered! :smileyvery-happy: Thanks, girl :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 11 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • lylysa
    • ladymeag
    • kelsey808
    • lilahtov
    • 1cros3nail4givn
    • CharliefromNY