Alygal90

Foundation reccomendation to replace kat von d?

[ Edited ]

Just found out my shade (Light 42) is discontinued :-(

I have a very very light complexion and this is the only shade I have found that truly matches. I also need something with very full coverage. Any suggestions?

*Recommendation - sorry about that.

Alygal90

Re: Foundation reccomendation to replace kat von d?

Went to my Sephora store and played around with a couple of different foundations. MUFE's Mat Velvet foundation looks like it's a really close match and will do well with my skin tone. I got a sample and will try it out tomorrow and over the next few days. Crossing my fingers that it doesn't make me break out!

Thanks again ladies!

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Best of luck!!! ^_^ Hope it works well on your skin!

SirenPrincess

(0) Hearts

Dolce & Gabanna Perfect Luminous Foundation in Classic is close in color, perhaps a bit more neutral.  I consider it a medium to full coverage, but not quite as full coverage as the KatVonD.  Not many stores carry it, but you can order it online and Sephora offers free returns if it doesn't match.

I do also agree with Bobbi Brown Alabaster as suggested below, but you do have to be very careful with the formulation.  In some of the foundation the color is perfect and in others it's way too dark and yellow.

katief241981

(0) Hearts

I don't have the same color skin as you, but I use MUFE Mat Velvet and LOOVE it :smileyhappy:  Try a sample for sure.  I was matched PERFECTLY in the store by a MUA.  

katie1724

[ Edited ]

I have that shade, too -- that's such a bummer! Intensity wise, the only shades I have seen that remotely come close are the MUFE Mat Velvet+ in 15, which is full coverage, but slightly more pink than the Kat von D (have you tried it? this may be your best bet), or Bobbi Brown Skin in 00 (Alabaster -- but this isn't full coverage, and the shade isn't consistent across all her formulas -- and Alabaster is darker in other formulas than it is in the Skin foundation). NARS Siberia is similar, intensity wise, but yellow-based (and not as full coverage).

If you can find it, Illamasqua's Rich Liquid in 115 is on par, lightness wise, with KVD, as is Dainty Doll in Very Light -- I can swatch these for you if you're interested, next to the KVD for comparison.

From personal experience, you probably won't have any luck with MAC unless you buy the Face & Body in White from MAC Pro to use as a mixing agent (which is a useful thing to have, anyway!). 

roxystar4

i was going to write BB alabaster but read through and saw that katie & others mentioned it. Bobbi brown has a great range of shades and I like the quality of their foundation.

Also Illamasqua and Yaby both make a product you can add to foundations that are too dark and it lightens the foundation up.

http://www.sephora.com/skin-base-foundation-P309110?skuId=1403302 

katie1724

I've always been curious about Yaby! I know they make color adjusters, too (like blue, violet, etc.) -- they sound like fun (but I'd probably just make a mess!). :smileyhappy:

lylysa

Koh Gen Do - Maifanshi Color Base YellowKoh Gen Do - Maifanshi Color Base YellowKoh Gen Do - Maifanshi Color Base GreenKoh Gen Do - Makeup Color Base Pearl White SPF 16 PA++

Koh Gen Do makes some color bases. They have yellow, pink/lavender, green (though it looks blue online), and white pearl. From their descriptions it's applied before or after foundation (after to give a highlight and more so with the white pearl one). But I'm sure you could always play with even mixing some into foundations.

katie1724

Those look like fun, too :smileyhappy:

lylysa

(0) Hearts

I've never tried them (don't believe it's carried in stores at the Sephora's near me), but you're right, they do look fun!

andreabonder

Theres nothing more annoying than having to look for basic Makeup products to replace old favourites. 

I go to MAC for my foundation. I use the Studio Fix Fluid. I find that when especially using a beauty blender there is no cakeyness and it feels super light. If you really like the consistency of KVD then don't bother with this particular MAC foundation. They also have tons & tons of shades so I say give it a go. 

GOOD LUCK!

lylysa

For reference, here's an image of KVD's Light 42 (bottom shade as labeled, and in different lighting):

I would suggest MUFE's Velvet Mat foundation:

Try shade 15 (Alabaster)

MAKE UP FOR EVER - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

If you're open to a cream foundation, try looking into Cover FX, their shade range is quite extensive:

COVER FX - Total Cover Cream FoundationCOVER FX - Total Cover Cream FoundationCOVER FX - Total Cover Cream Foundation

I know the three don't look too different right off the bat, but their shades are divided by undertones, the ones pictured above are N10, P10, and G10, all which are the lightest/fairest foundations in the Neutral, Pink, and Golden categories.

Alygal90

Thank you for the swatch pictures!

I was looking into the MUFE Velvet Matte foundation. I'll see if my store has it so I can get a sample.

Thanks again.

HelloCoffee

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I'm sorry to hear that!  A discontinued item is always annoying, we've all been there!

For my very light complexion, I like Bobbi Brown Stick foundation (for medium-heavy coverage) and Loreal True Match (but this is lighter coverage).  Others in the thread below mentioned some brands they have had luck with, too.

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/Anyone-else-hate-being-called-pale/m-p/970935#M17...

HelloCoffee

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

you can also try MAC, they also carry very fair shades and they have several formulas for coverage.

AllyKatVA

That makes me sad. I went to my local SiJCP and the tester was all, and the SA that came over was just like, well, you can try the 44, the 42 is just a bit lighter. Um, not helpful if I am trying to see what color the 42 is. She never said anything about it being discontinued. Frankly, I have never felt like the associates in there really know what they are doing.

I was really curious to see it since I hear it is the lightest shade of any foundation that Sephora carries. Boo! Illamasqua carries some very light shades, but I do not know how they would compare to the KVD. Good luck!

HelloCoffee

yea, that is annoying because foundation really needs to match....especially if you are fair skinned, because it is so obvious when it doesn't match.  An associate did that with me once and it looked ok when she blended it, but after the makeup oxidized a bit, you could clearly see it. 

beethousand

Koh Gen Do has very fair shades as well, and are a bit more neutral than the KvD. I find Light 42 to be fair enough for my skin, but a bit too pink. Illamasqua's fair shades and shade 15 of the MUFE Mat Velvet are very fair as well.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 38 replies
  • 34 hearts
  • 15 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • DTalksAll
    • melanito
    • lylysa
    • roxystar4
    • ladymeag