tmarie4

Foundation for oily skin - help wanted!

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I've read the other posts regarding this topic, but wanted to start a new that addressed foundation oxidization. 

I have tried many foundations.  MUFE HD, UD Naked, Mac, Revlon Colorstay, Everyday Minerals, BareMinerals (haven't tried this one in probably 6 years though). . .  The mineral makeup slides off my face or looks like it's sitting on top of oil by the end of the day, or just goes on too 'cakey'.  LOVED the MUFE HD coverage, the Studio Fix Mac coverage, but again - colors didn't match after a few hours or whatever. . did I mention I'm pretty fair?  The Revlon (Buff was almost perfect color and I wanted to love it since it's inexpensive compared to everything else - the coverage is not great and difficult to blend - I would need multiple layers to get the coverage I want . . plus my hubs is so used to everything being a shade darker than my neck he thought I looked pale. 

Anyway. . .

Here's my problem:  I can't find a match that works best for my skin - it may look good when I first put it on, but in a few hours or sometimes 30 min. the colors start to oxidize - looking too pink or too yellow.  I pay attention to ingredients so I am not using a primer that has oil when the foundation is water based, as well as making sure my moisturizer is water based.  I've tried different primers, different moisturizers, and I'm stuck. . .and very frustrated.  NOT to  mention that every time I go to get matched, the stores automatically assume I have pink undertones b/c my skin tends to be a little on the pinkish side, but my chest and neck, arms are clearly 'yellow'.   

Primers I have used/tried include:  UD Naked BB (whatever it's called - it was a sample), Primed and Poreless by Too Faced, Sephora's brand, Smashbox brand, Mac Prep & Prime, MUFE HD Primer that came in the complexion kit. 

I always set my foundation with powder - I've tried diff kinds as well, same results. 

Perhaps its my skincare that is the biggest issue?  I use clarisonic every  morning and night.  I use Oil of Olay total effects cleansers and deep hydration cream at night, and a very TINY amount in the morning before primers/makeup etc.  My face does not break out nearly as bad as it used to since buying the clarisonic a year ago - love that, but my skin still feels like an oil slick at the end of a 12 hr shift.   I have tried oil control lotions - work GREAT but after 2 days my skin is super dried out and starts to get flaky. . .makes sense, right?  Ugh!   I have also tried leaving out moisturizer in the a.m. and only primer, no primer, no lotion, etc. and none of that made a bit of difference except the no primer part worsened my look. 

Yep, I'm at a loss.  Totally frustrated and I love makeup!  What I hate about it is having my face not match my neck. . .subtle difference I can handle, but I haven't found it yet. 

I want a med-full coverage since I do have old acne scars and uneven skin color.  I just wanna look pretty, dang it!  LOL

Options I'm considering:  Bare Minerals again,  Hourglass Immaculate Liquid Powder foundation,  Bobbi Brown long wear, Laura Mercier Oil Free foundation. . .  I'm not opposed to trying drug store brands if you have suggestions. . .

Can anyone help me out?  Have you tried them, have you had the same 'luck' that I've had?  What is your opinion and what should I do differently? 

THANK YOU in advance!!!

ellismakeuplove

Re: Foundation for oily skin - help wanted!

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I have very oily skin too but for me the Revlon Colorstay foundation works perfect. 

May you want to watch my foundation routine video on youtube, I hope that helps.

:smileyhappy:

infinitise

(0) Hearts

I have combination skin. sometimes I also get really oily. 

but I find that sometimes, being too dry - not putting enough moisture on my skin tends to make my skin more oily and breakout. 

What I have tried was to go to a dermatologist and get a serum and lotion prescribed. I put a light weight oil free sunscreen. (i sometimes buy them from iherb.com) then put the hourglass mineral veil primer. 

LOVE them. Hourglass mineral veil primer is amazing. sometimes when i have dry skin, my skin dries out throughout the day, but when my skin is oily, it makesure my foundation stays. 

I have recently purchased the smashbox primer - blue one suggested by the associate. she said if i don't make sure my skin isn't hydrated, my skin will get oily. 

so far, I like them. 

foundation wise, I found the same thing with mineral powder. I used the Korres which is a bit less cakey than bare essentuals, but still cakes every now and then like you have described. 

I bought the MUFE HD, but I think you will really like the hourglass one because if i had more budget, i wouldve bought that one instead.., 

Colorwise, unless you buy two colors, one pink and one yellow undertone and mix them to your liking, you're not going to get the perfect color... 

I hear that is what alot of the celebrities do

but also, in korea, there is what is called the make up base, that you put in prior to the primer. it corrects your skin tone. I have redness but have yellow undertone. so I bought the green one which makes my skin look white, and therefore make my yellow undertone foundation look natural. 

and for excess oil, if you still experience them after using the right primer for your skin, foundation, and finishing powder, why don't you buy the blotting paper. Its not very popular here, but I know that especially in the summer when skins become more oily, korean people use them alot throughout the day. 

emmaclaire

ILLAMASQUA!!!  I just bought the Skin Base in shade 2 and it is the best foundation I've ever used for my incredibly pale, combination skin.  Absolutely NO oxidization on my skin, lasted all day without any oiliness (and no accentuation to my dry patches) and provided the best color match I've found yet!  Give it a try, get a sample and see how it wears for you!

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Have had same prob here!  I've found 2 that don't oxidize, although I'll agree that you want to make sure it's not your skin needing to be exfoliated.  Lancome's Dual Finish Powder Foundation and Tarte's 12-Hour Foundation do not change colors. Love them for that!  Fair skin shades, too!

beautylovingirl

@triciaann12- Thanks Girlie:smileyhappy:

liveinlovexx

Ohh and Laura Mercier is a good option by the way! The Silk Creme is a good foundation if you set it with her powder. But as we see below, a lot of people just work a lot of different ways! Go to a Sephora and have a cast member try a few things.

They have a 45 minute make-over session and all you have to do to get the session  is book it and commit to spending $50 on products. (Either the new ones you find or favorite oldies! Or even a gift card if I am not mistaken!)

Again, Good Luck!

Spoiler

liveinlovexx

A lot of it can also be contributed by hormones. I know for a fact that my hormones mess with my make-up. I used a foundation for 8 loyal years, loved it and it matched me perfect. This past summer it started to get so oily, and the color started to look yellow and odd. I didn't change a thing. Except wait... I just changed. I got older. :] Sometimes it's not anything YOU are doing wrong.

It is just a trial and error. I too have been going through trial and error and while it is frustrating it will be super rewarding when you find your HG products!

Good luck!

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

I don't need research I'm confident in my answers.I'm not the one posting " how" "why" questions because I know my products. You can't post that someone's anwsers are misleading and unclear when you don't have a clue. And I think I'll skip your advice on taking time to research I'm good. Thanks:smileyhappy:  I'm done with this it's very childish. You have your opinions and I'll have mine.

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

@dannyc- That's great but you give your opinions and I'll give mine.And your right in the fact that things that work for one person may not work for another but this poster hasn't tried it so it's an option, and you really can't say it doesn't work unless she has tried it. You should really take care of your own post and I'll take care of mine. Thanks.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

Exactly! I said for ME, translucent powders didn't help with keeping makeup from oxidizing. 

Please do NOT talk down to me & tell me I need to do some research, you don't know me, and have no clue if I own an product, have tried it, and have done my research or not. You have no right to make those kinds of assumptions. When using that particular foundation, I do pile products on, but I am not an "oil slick" like you claimed I was. I do use a tinted powder, but it doesn't alter the shade of any of my foundations like you claimed it does. Take some of your own advice... a little research can go a long way :smileywink: 

beautylovingirl

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

@dannyc- Translucent powders will help. If your makeup is oxidizing and your using a powder with color it's going to make your whole face darker. If you use a translucent powder it will control oil and help your foundation not to darken so bad. It's a much better option that piling 15 products on you face that would do nothing than make you face a huge oil slick. Research can help your product knowledge alot.

emmaclaire

Translucent powders won't stop a foundation from oxidizing, they just won't add to it.  Oxidization is caused by a pH disturbance between someone's skin and the ingredients in the foundation.  Putting something on TOP of the foundation really won't alter the interaction between the skin and the foundation.

Although it does help with oil control and might be helpful in minimizing or delaying some color change throughout the day.  Please be considerate and respectful of other members, even if they disagree with your advice.  There's no need to resort to name calling and condescending language/tones.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

Thanks, I've done my research :smileywink: I own the MUFE HD translucent setting powder, and it does not help with keeping a particular foundation from oxidizing, but it does help set my other liquid foundations. I don't get really oily, and I don't wear primer all the time. I read the ingredients and know which ones to avoid layering on my skin, or which ones need a longer time to "set" before moving onto the next step. 

I also did a lot of research on foundations oxidizing and how to prevent it. A BB cream underneath and a colored setting powder seems to help a lot of people. I experimented for weeks with different combinations and wanted to share my findings. My forehead does not turn into an oil slick & and my foundation stays true to color. Many people use a tinted setting powder, that's why the hourglass powders are so popular right now. The Guerlain compact does not alter the color of any of my foundations. 

I also understand that everyone's skin is different, and so are our needs. Some products don't work for everyone. That's why we read reviews & help each other out here on BT. 

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I had a liquid foundation I loved, but always seemed to oxidize on me. I wasn't willing to give it up, so I experimented a lot to get to the point where it would last & not change colors. 

After applying primer (I like the hourglass SPF15 primer), I would blend a tough of Perricone's No Foundation Foundation, or a BB cream and wait a few minutes for it to set (the Perricone takes a good 5 minutes to set), then I would apply my foundation & a setting powder. Translucent powders wouldn't help, I needed something with light coverage like Too Faced or Guerlain's meteorites compact. 

beautylovingirl

I actually think that with your foundations oxidizing you should try a traslucent powder like the one from MUFE it's my personal fave and won't change the color of your foundation.

lylysa

Since oxidation has yet to be pinpointed to an exact skin type or cosmetic brand, the key is to keep on trying product since it's based on individual factors that are unique to you. What may oxidize on you may not oxidize on someone else and vice-versa.

Try to pay attention to details like the result of an oxidized foundation. For example, if you apply a foundation with a pink undertone and it ends up turning yellow on you, try instead to find a foundation in that line with a yellow undertone and see if it'll oxidize to match the pink undertone actually needed. Or you can try to find foundations with a neutral undertone as to not lean too strongly on either side of the spectrum. You might also notice how dark a color turns once it's oxidized, for example, if you wear a medium shade but it ends up turning two shades darker on your skin, like a tan color, try to grab a color a shade or two lighter that what you would wear/matches perfectly to your skin tone and see if the oxidation from the lighter foundation will "turn" to the color you need.

Try testing foundations on your jawline/cheeks and wearing it for an hour or two, view it in natural light to see if it changes any or oxidizes any. Give yourself and your skin time to allow a formula to adjust to your skin before making a purchase.

Which mattifying lotions have you tried? Murad's Oil Free Mattifier SPF 15 and Peter Thomas Roth's Clini Matte SPF 20 are great, nondrying formulas but also tackle oil and shine really well.

You might consider a water based primer such as Lorac's Aqua Prime or even something light weight like Stila's One Step. If your skin has pink undertones but you're not looking to enhance that, choosing a foundation with a slight yellow undertone can combat and balance that out. Though green is typically used to combat red, yellow helps to comprise green, so yellow based foundations can help block redness, or again, try using one with a beige or neutral undertone as to not make your face too pink.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 10 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • emmaclaire
    • jennypenny1995
    • lylysa
    • beautylovingirl
    • infinitise