eszebel

Foundation for Oily, Troublesome Skin

(0) Hearts

Hey guys,

After finishing my container of Bare Mineral's matte foundation, I'm looking for a liquid alternative to give me more coverage.  My skin has been breaking out like crazy lately, so I'd like something to cover it up.  When I went into my local Sephora and described my skin type/asked for some samples, the saleswoman gave me one of Clinique Even Better and one of Make Up For Ever HD Invisible Cover.  I've tested both now, and my skin has eaten both of them.  After about three hours, my oil slick of a face breaks down the foundation into very unattractive clumps.  (And yes, I do use primer - Mary Kay's Oil Mattifier.)

I feel bad going back and asking for more samples without buying anything for the second time, so can you all recommend some products for me?  I'd like to buy something that's $45 or under, but I guess I'd go over if it were an incredible product.  

vicky456

Re: Foundation for Oily, Troublesome Skin

(0) Hearts

Ladies, please refrain from using products by Clinique and Dior as they test their products on animals. There are better alternatives out there.

jennypenny1995

Yes, please share who makes a quality, expansive shade selection foundation.  I'd love to know and support them!  (Have used Tarte, but their formulas are very limited)

eszebel

Can you suggest any alternatives that are not tested on animals?

voxover

(0) Hearts

About my skin: I'm oily/combination and majorly acne-prone and have sensitive skin.

One foundation that didn't break me out at all or bother my skin in other ways was Clinique's Acne Solutions, which I'd definitely recommend if you can find a color that matches well. It was great weekend wear and my skin (which needs tons of coverage) looked nice even after wearing all day or getting a good amount of exercise ice skating for two hours. It takes a bit of building the coverage to get the major coverage I like, but it still didn't break me out. I haven't been able to buy it for a while, but I do know my makeup looks a lot worse/oilier after a while with other foundations and concealers that I've tried.

eszebel

(0) Hearts

Hey everyone!  Thanks so, so much for taking the time to reply.

crayzeeRN - I don't think it's the matte Bare Minerals formula (which I have heard can break some people out too), as I've been using their foundation for two years at this point.

AlwaysGlamorous - that is so helpful!  I've always looked longingly at the UD setting spray but never had the guts to buy it.  Now I definitely will!

To the rest of you - I am going to check out all those suggestions, especially the Lancome Dual Finish product!

crayzeeRN

(0) Hearts

It's possible that the matte formula of Bare Minerals may have been causing your skin to get more oily and break out- I personally experienced this. Are you using a good moisturizer?

AlwaysGlamorous

Hi eszebel! I, too, have oily skin and have found that even with a primer and setting powder, my oily skin will do whatever it wants and my liquid foundation will melt down my face before lunch. Unacceptable! The solution I have found is using a setting spray after applying my foundation but before I set with a light dusting of mattifying powder. I have been using the Skindinavia No More Shine Makeup Setting Spray since 2007 and it is one of my can't-live-without-it products. When my friends come over, they always ask for a spritz before we leave the house. 

swfupload_1214169492325618054.png

A really similar product that Sephora carries is the Urban Decay De-Slick Oil-Control Makeup Setting Spray. Fun Fact: Urban Decay created this formulation with in conjunction with Skindinavia. AND Mary Kay also just linked up with Skindinavia to make their own makeup setting spray [I wanted to add that in because you are currently using the MK Oil Mattifier]

swfupload_2564716261294045800.jpg

In terms of a liquid foundation, with this method, you should have much better success with either of the two liquid foundations that you mentioned. Don't be nervous getting samples! It's SO much better than having to return a product because it didn't meet your expectations and oily skin needs. I recommend getting a sample of the Urban Decay Naked Skin Weightless Ultra Definition Liquid Makeup [this has been my go-to in the past couple of weeks; its a great spring/summer foundation because of the luminous/radiant finish] if you end up going back in store. Hope this helps! I know it sure helps me stay pretty darn glamorous :smileywink:

DeltaGammaGirl

(0) Hearts

I love the Dior Skin Forever Foundation. I have oily skin also, but this foundation leaves the skin with a velvety soft feel! It is my favorite by far.

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

I had the same prob with all liquid formulas and finally found out I can only use a powder formula.  It soaks up oil better, doesn't cake, and doesn't oxidize into a bronze mess.  I love Lancome's Dual Finish foundation with all my heart!  It's awesome, and you can apply it dry for light coverage or with a damp sponge for more coverage.  Great staying power, too--12+ hours...as a nurse!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • eszebel
    • jennypenny1995
    • crayzeeRN
    • AlwaysGlamorous
    • vicky456
    • DeltaGammaGirl