Foundation fo rmy wedding day

Foundation fo rmy wedding day

[ Edited ]

IMG_7554.jpgHi! I would like a recomendation to choose a foundation for my wedding day! It will be taking place in the summer, so I need something to stick on my face but still look like myself. I have combination skin, and a little bit of redness. And im pretty sure it will be hot that day, so I dont want to be oily-shiny. Hope you can help me!! I was thinking about studio skin 15 hour wear foundation, but im not pretty sure! I linked a photo of myself so you can have an idea, I have make up on, and the other one with the pink t-shirt with no makeup at all

HEEEELP!

Re: Foundation fo rmy wedding day

(0) Hearts

Judging from your photos, you look like you might be somewhere around the 2.1 zone, but photos are trickier to match off of due to light. Do you have any foundation/face product you use that you can reference to us? It would be easier for us to match based off another swatch/shade you use.

Question, lylysa... for the HD powder, I hear a lot about flashbacks with it. Any advice on how to avoid  that?

[ Edited ]

Envo brings up good points reinforcing the use of a fan brush or very fluffy brush with a fine amount of product.

With HD powder, a little goes a looooong way and you need way less than what is typically used with traditional loose powders or setting powders.

Another tip is that HD powders aren't meant as frequent touch up powders, the more that is layered onto the skin the more the silica builds up on itself and rather than diffuse light it ends up forming more of a barrier that light can't get through, thus causing it to show in photographs. 

With HD powders that come in sifter lids, rather than peel off the entire plastic sticker, only remove a portion, leaving only 2 or 3 holes max to dispense powder. The Too Faced version has a locking sifting lid, so you can twist open to leave just a few holes revealed so not as much powder is let out.

And yes, you can use HD powders over BB creams. They can be used over cream foundations, liquid foundations, powder foundations, BB/CC creams, tinted moisturizers, and even on bare skin.

So informative Smiley Happy Thank you!

[ Edited ]

You're welcome!

The amount of HD powder I use on myself and clients typically ranges to this:

That in a cap is more than enough.

The below picture shows an amount that would be far too much for use:

If you do end up using a large powder brush, try to use the largest, fluffiest brush as possible and actually swirl powder up into the brush and have it pick up product to where you don't see a brush coated in powder right at the top. HD powders are not a "dip your brush in and transfer it direct to your face and work to distribute it from there" type of powder. This is why I like using stippling brushes and fan brushes more, it takes more the guess work out of things, granted the factoring of actual amount of product is crucial, but you're less likely to overload skin with a fan brush than you would using a powder brush.

I have a fan brush, but honestly, I don't know how to use it. And I have 2 different stippling brushes which I use for foundation/cream blushes, but I've never thought of using them for powder. I'll have to look into that! Thanks! I love learning new things like this Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]

Fan brushes are an underrated, multi-tool in my book, but I love to put them in the spotlight whenever I can! Aside from using it for HD powders, fan brushes can be used for highlighting powders (adds just a touch of glow to the skin without it looking artificial), traditional powders (if you're contouring/highlighting and need to "set" make up as you go, the fan brush applies a touch to a more localized area easier), sweeping off brush hairs (yes, it's inevitable, sometimes brushes shed and rather than pick and risk moving your make up, use the brush to lightly dust it off), removing fallen eye shadow (this tends to work better with some shadows than others, often times loose/finely milled shadows will just blend out if brushed, but chunkier glitter shadows can be brushed off skin easier), and applying face masks (it adds a whole new level of luxury to a skin care routine, scoop some product out with a spatula and place it on the back of your hand or on an artist palette and apply with the brush rather than use your fingers, this also cuts down on bacteria/oil transfer since you're not touching product right out the jar).

For use with HD powder, dispense a fine amount into the lid of the jar, take the fan brush and place it into the lid with the bristles laying flat, allowing the majority of the brush to touch the product. You don't want to place the brush aiming down, as this will only focus product at the tips of the bristles. Once you have the powder worked on the brush's flat side (so you can cover more ground), lightly sweep brush along skin, I like to start across the forehead, down the nose, then lightly along the cheeks and chin as the powder doesn't need to be caked on. Since the silica is meant to "lay" on the skin, there's no need to use traditional buffing application methods, it doesn't need to be "worked into" the skin.

With stippling brushes and traditional powders, to pick up product you'd essentially cover the inner portion of the lid with the brush and swirl the brush while it's aimed downward to pick up and disperse powder more into the brush rather than keeping it just at the top. From there, with a stippling brush, light brush skin like you would with a fan brush. Stippling brushes work well because they pick up more product that a fan brush due to it being larger in general, but the various bristle lengths prevent too heavy of a uniform application on skin. With traditional powder brushes, again, don't buff, but use the "pat and dab/roll" method I mentioned above.

The photo above illustrates to initial touch from brush to skin with powder, you want to come in at an angle where it's not just the domed part of the top of the brush you're using, but the bristles are able to bend a bit.

hdpdwr.jpg

Pardon my basic/Paint program drawings, but they'll further help explain. The top two photos with the fan brush details out how to pick up and how not to pick up powder for the most effective use of the brush. The third photo on the right shows how a stippling and powder brush can be used to pick up powder from the jar lid (press brush downward and swirl product up into your tool of choice, the bristles will splay into the lid). The below 3 photos detail out the "pat/dab/roll" method with the brush bristles flush against skin, then begin to roll it off skin until less and less touches, once it's finally lifted off skin, repeat the process. Typically about 2 or 3 cycles of this is used on foreheads, 1-2 on each cheek, 1 for nose and chin each.

You never want to see the product loaded at the top of the brush like that, that's just asking for bad photos!

This post is out of control awesome @lylysa! Can you recommend a good brush to use with the Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder? I've seen some reviews raving about using a fan brush with it but other than that, no real consensus. Do you have any recommendations on brush shape/size and natural vs. synthetic? 

I'm happy that you can find use of this as well, Etscore1! Smiley Very Happy

In terms of a good brush for your LM setting powder, I would say base the preference on brush style and type off your tastes. Fan brushes are wonderful (as you can see by my raving about them here), but if you just can't find yourself investing or opting into the use of one, then larger, traditional powder brushes can work just as well, just be sure you're application is tailored to the powder at hand. 

Traditional translucent powders that aren't heavily reliant or silica based can be swirled up into a brush and buffed onto skin so there's a bit more leeway there. Of course you still want to avoid overloading skin, so don't be afraid to work a little at a time, even if this means taking those extra moments to sift out just a bit of powder, it's always easier to add to then it is to take away once applied. You can always opt for a powder brush like the one in the above photo, you can see the bristles are longer and splay wider toward the top of the brush, this gives a softer application as there's lots of movement and direction for bristles to splay. Avoid brushes that are too dense or have bristles that are too short and feel too compact, this will translate to a higher amount of product being localized in one area, making you work harder to distribute.

Whether you do natural or synthetic will again be based on preference, avoid coarser natural hairs, I find that the powder brushes from Bare Minerals snap and degrade quickly compared to other natural brushes so I avoid those. The last thing you want is something scratchy, rough, or shedding on your skin when applying that finishing touch. With synthetic brushes, softness is again the key, try to find bristles that are fine and not thick and wiry.

Two options that I love for an all purpose brush would be Smashbox's TelePhoto Brush and Too Faced's Retractable Kabuki. The STB is a retractable stippling brush so it definitely lends a hand to a soft application while the TF is a retractable kabuki that when retracted fully down gives a super soft splay of bristles. Let me know if you need me to link you to a thread that covers it more (I'm a huge fan of that one).

For fan brushes, like I mentioned here, I'm a fan of the Smashbox version. The size is suitable for various uses and it gets the job done, no problem. If you begin to explore fan brushes more, check into arts and craft stores in the painting department for natural and synthetic options. There's such a variety and you can find fan brushes with varied thickness as to lend a hand better to contouring/bronzing and other specific make up jobs.

[ Edited ]

Err mah gerd, you are too much Lylysa! 

Am I expecting too much from this setting powder? I don't use heavy foundations, but all I'm really looking to get from it is a smooth finish in the sense that my face is not sticky to the touch from my foundation/CC cream. I'm not worried, per se, about blurring imperfections, creating a matte finish, etc. Is there some other product I might want to consider to achieve this instead? 

I am currently using the powder brush from this set. http://www.sephora.com/deluxe-antibacterial-brush-set-P197107 but I'm guessing I should look for something less dome-shaped? 

But now I'm starting to question the product entirely. I just don't want to be sticky! Smiley Tongue

I think the LM setting powder is a great option, especially if you're not focusing on the "camera ready" aspect, and even if you were, it's not to say that the LM powder wouldn't photograph or perform well, it just wouldn't serve to the function of the silica, but its own qualities won't make it any less of a product.

The powder brush in the Sephora kit should work just fine, if you're worried that it's too small or covering too fine of an area, rather than load powder up at the top/dome of the brush, press the side of the bristles along the powder and blend onto skin from there. By utilizing the flat aspects you're covering more ground and by pressing it flush against skin you're changing the use.

If you're interested in how powders vary, from mineral, silica/HD, to regular translucent versions, check out the below thread for another indepth read and visuals:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/what-s-the-best-setting-powder-that-does-not-flashback-with/td-p...

Fantastic - just read through the other thread as well! 

The brush seems to be doing alright, but I have found, at least at this point, that the NARS Light Reflecting Powder has been better at creating a smooth finish in a shorter time frame. The LM eventually gets me where I need it to, but it's almost difficult to decide when to stop applying because it really doesn't show up and seems to take a little longer to create that dry, smooth finish. 

But most importantly, I didn't want to expect something from the product that it couldn't deliver. So I'm really glad to hear that the LM powder can achieve what I'm looking for, even if it doesn't turn out to be the end-all-be-all for me. With so many products out there I'm still on the hunt for a lot of my HG items and a smooth, non-sticky finish to my skin is definitely a top priority! 

The LM powder is definitely more of an "everyday" or "normal use" powder while a silica based powder (like your Nars) is a step up from that, not NEEDED for everyday, but it can still be used on the regular if you so choose.

You can even layer HD powders over normal translucent powders if you like for the translucent to focus on mattifying and absorbing moisture from make up and the HD to merely focus on diffusing the look of skin and getting it camera-ready.

This is amazingly helpful!

do you have a particular fan brush that you like?

My very first fan brush was one from Smashbox, I haven't found any real particular reason to switch. I've since added to my collection with smaller and larger fan brushes from art stores (small ones can be used to apply mascara on lower lashes, let me know if you want the thread where I cover that) and larger ones to dust translucent powder or use for contouring.

You are just beyond amazing with your advice!!!

Awww, thank you so much, Evangeline!

I'm just fortunate to be able to continue to share, share, and share.....even if my posts get longer and longer Smiley Tongue!

I read every word.

I'm so happy that there is a place like BT, to have this amazing person (you) who imparts such relevant, wonderful advice/tips (and happy vibes) without ever being condescending.

It feels as if we are all getting advice/tips from a super sweet expert that if we had to find in our own cities would be either impossible or too darn expensive to receive. 

Everybody on here has been awesome, but you are the BEST!

Gosh, Evangeline! Your words and kindness mean so much to me! You help to make up such  beautiful community I keep coming back to, BT has hit it on the head for being a spot for this many beauty addicts to gather and share laughs, insight, knowledge, and great times!

As long as I keep learning, I'll keep sharing!

Thank youSmiley Happy 

It would be awesome if you could link the thread for me if its not too difficult to find Smiley Sad 

Thank you so much for explaining all this. It really has been helpful! 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
Photos5
  • IMG_7554.jpg
  • Foto del día 07-03-14 a la(s) 13.55.jpg
  • hdpdwr.jpg
  • upload_8844648659941906220.jpg
  • upload_8085613713453281422.jpg