michmo

Foundation Matching in Store?

I'm just curious--If you ever get your foundation matched in store have you been surprised with the match color?    Is it usually lighter or darker than you think you are?  

Today I was matched for Lorac Breakthrough Performance.  I am SMS1--Porcelain (yellow undertone).  I think it is a great match, although I haven't tried a full face.  I was just surprised because I'm usually the second to lightest shade with most, but it was great for me that the first shade was yellow and not pink.

For reference in BareMinerals I'm Golden Fair.  I think I always think I'm darker than I really am.  I just need to get used to the fact that I'm pale AND yellow.  :smileyhappy:  

PoshDarling

Re: Foundation Matching in Store?

(0) Hearts

I'm like you, @JenBlush, tan with pink undertones. I can't wear a foundation that contains SPF because they either have a white cast in photos, or oxidize almost immediately on my skin. I have yet to find an SPF for my face that doesn't make me oily, or work well under my foundation, either.

I have to say, I've had good luck getting matched in store, for the most part. I'm an Armani LSF #7, which is my perfect match of any foundation, so I do usually bring that with me for reference.

JenBlush

(0) Hearts

Sadly i have yet to find my perfect match! I am slightly tan with pink/red undertones. I have bought a foundation, a tinted moisterizer, and a BB cream and still nothing. They look great in store, but when i go outside, the foundation is way toooo white!! it makes me look pail, or yellow! I have been searching for foundations with no spf to see if that may be the problem, but i haven't found anything yet!!

The good thing is that i really dont need coverage, but when i want to have a full face of makeup, it just looks wrong! :smileysad:

michmo

(0) Hearts

This is the #1 reason I'm always afraid of getting a new foundation.  I am so afraid of walking outside and realizing it completely doesn't match.  

beeaaatrice

I'm always surprised because they tend to give me sand-tinted foundations, even though I consider myself more on the olive side. I tan easily in the summer, so they go a shade up under the premise that I change skin tones. In general I find myself surprised when I look at the color in the bottle and put it on, but these ladies seem to know what they're doing and it looks good on me.

michmo

(0) Hearts

I agree....while I sometimes question their choices, they've been right a lot! 

Cheer14

(0) Hearts

I once was matched with ivory although I am pretty tan, I went back a few days later and was matched with a foundation 4 shades darker. I was very shocked I have never worn anything close to ivory before but the lady was really good at convincing me it was "my" color haha but other than that I have never been surprised. 

LCResz

(0) Hearts

I just had this experience! I feel weird returning foundation because I know it'll get thrown away, but I also know when I look weird in pictures :smileytongue: turns out I am also more fair than I give myself credit for, not to mention having a more yellow undertone than I previously realized. The Skin IQ matched me to a better shade and I am so happy about Sephora's great return/exchange policy!

clarks18

I ususally have the opposite happen.  Usually the sales associate is surprised how fair I am and how most foundations are way too dark for my complexion.  I went on vacation in Mexico a couple years ago and all the workers at the resort thought I had cancer because most of them had never seen anyone so fair.  I wish more brands would come out with even lighter shades.  I know I'm not the only super pale person out there!

michmo

I completely understand.   I have some depth of color to my skin, so I'm always kind of shocked if I am the lightest shade.  There are definitely people much more fair than I am.  You are so right.  If I'm the lightest they definitely need more shades.  

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • clarks18
    • JenBlush
    • LCResz
    • michmo
    • Cheer14
    • PoshDarling