veritabelle

Foundation Advice

(0) Hearts

I would like to buy a new foundation that is perfect for my skin tone.  I am combo, oily t-zone and acne prone.  I have quite a few pimples already-all over. 

Should I use a powder foundation or liquid?  Which is better for my skin type? I am not as familiar with powder foundations as I am liquid (avid TM wearer), so I will need advice on the best ones.  Remember- liquid or powder will need to cover pimples and minimal fine lines and discoloration around the nose WITHOUT feeling heavy.  I really like a sheer to medium coverage. 

As I read through this I feel like I might be asking too much out of a foundation.  What do you all think?

humanesque

Re: Foundation Advice

(0) Hearts

I have the same type of skin, and powders have always ended up cakey on me because of oiliness. Usually liquids will do this in small areas, like around the nose, on me too. I didn't like the unnatural look of foundations or the sheerness of TMs, so I turned to BB creams and they work well for me, very natural-looking, and a lot have light/medium coverage, like Smashbox or Clinique.

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

If you have oily combo skin and having trouble my first suggestion would be to use a foundation primer. Also TM's usually don't provide the oil control your probably needing so I would try  powder foundation and like I said apply a primer before and you just might find that your going to get the coverage and the look you've been after this whole time. You can get as much or as little coverage with a powder just like a liquid and sometimes better. Hope this helps!

vvnguyen95

I have the same skin problems as you do. Honestly, I prefer liquid foundations. I feel like they are more versatile and are longer lasting. I have tried several different foundations over the years, but so far I am in love with Bobbi Brown's Skin Foundation SPF 15. It covers breakouts well and is very light on the skin. A lot of foundations tend to break me out and make me look cakey, but this foundation is great. It matches to my skin tone really well and looks natural. 

veritabelle

I have been eyeing that foundation for a while.  I have never tried one of BB's foundations....Thanks for the info!

JGSFLA

(0) Hearts

Well on a day that im broken out, i layer with the products i said to get complete coverage..if your skin is in pretty good shape, then just foundation should be fine..just get a liquid matte one..me.jpg

alicia130

I've tried many foundations as well and seem to come back to liquid ones for ease of use. As someone who suffers from acne and has really oily skin, I have found that getting my skincare right helps with the foundation department as well. I've had good luck with The Smashbox Photo Finish Light Primer and their hydrating primer. 

Here's some I've tried and my thoughts:

Currently using Stila Stay All Day--I really like it, but need to apply with a light hand and layer. The concealer that comes with it is creamy and better under the eyes. Not totally matte, but that's not a bad thing. It's kind of $$ but lasts forever!

Also using Makeup Forever Full Coverage concealer- I think with acne/marks it's best if you do a light layer all over then concentrate converge where you need.

In the past...

Makeup Forever HD- feels nice on the skin, but I can't wear everyday and it seems better in winter or in summer with a primer on special occasions. If you find your shade, it looks great.

Make up Forever Mat Velvet- Great coverage, very matte, but my skin seemed to reject it after a while, I think b/c of the fragrance.

Bare Minerals- NO!! Some people seem to get on with it well, but the bismuth oxychloride aggravates acne and causes rashes in others. If you go for it, try BE Matte. 

Urban Decay Naked Skin- Nice lighter coverage--seemed to be ok for me, but not summer.

I've heard good things about Tarte Amazonian Clay full coverage as well as Clinique Acne Solutions (as long as you aren't already using too many skincare products). 

For non-Sephora brand stuff, I've actually had good luck with the Mary Kay Matte Wear Foundation (it's only $20, comes in lots of colors and agrees with my skin!) Everyday Minerals, which you can get online has been decent too. 

JGSFLA

THERE ARE SO MANY GREAT FOUNDATIONS..I HAVE ALWAYS FOUND THAT LIQUID GIVES MORE MORE COMPLETE COVERAGE THAN POWDER..BUT TO GET THE BEST COVERAGE..START WITH A GREAT TINITED MOISTURIZER..LAURIA MERCIER HAS AN OIL FREE ONE THAT GIVES A GREAT COVERAGE BASE.YOU ALSO NEED A GREAT CONCEALER..I HAVE HUGE PORES AND HAVE FOUND THAT BENEFIT AND TOO FACED BOTH HAVE GREAT COVERAGE...I USE DIOR AIRFLASH WHICH GIVES ME A FLAWLESS FACE..THEN USE A MATTE FINISHING POWDER COVER FX MAKES ONE THAT ADDS A BIT MORE COVERAGE AT THE END..hope this helps!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • alicia130
    • veritabelle
    • beautylovingirl
    • JGSFLA
    • vvnguyen95
    • humanesque