mariechestina

Foundation Advice Needed

I am 22 years old, and have Combination Oily and Dry skin. During the summer I tend to be more oily, which balances out my dryer skin on my cheeks. But during the winter I get very dry around my cheeks, and my T-zone stays pretty shiny.

I have been using BareMinerals Original foundation since I was 16, and I've loved it! But recently I've noticed that I constantly need to touch up my face. Also, I feel as though the powder is emphasizing my pores especially on my nose.

I'm wondering if I've out grown this product, and need to find something that better suits me. I still like the lightness of a powder foundation, and I have not tried a liquid foundation since I started using BareMinerals.

I would love some advice, please and thanks!

Laurin88

Re: Foundation Advice Needed

(0) Hearts

Are you using a primer? Bare Minerals has a great long lasting primer! I love it and it works wonders! I have normal sometimes dry skin too! Make sure you are moisturizing too! It may look flakey if you are not nourishing your skin. My dermatologist is having me use this product. 

ellacen

(0) Hearts
Hello!.
I'm 29 and have skin conditions similar to yours... oily t-zone but super dry cheeks. I really hate it! I used to be normal to oily on my cheeks but that made be acne prone. So I had always used bare minerals, for about 5 or 6 years until recently when my cheeks are now flaky and peeling.
I would suggest you to try a liquid foundation of your choice. I use Mufe HD although it's kinda on the dry side. I need it to cover mypores and to "dry out " my forehead. (You may want something more moisturizing like Laura mercier silk creme)
What I do is to apply it with a wet sponge on my most oily areas ie forehead and nose first; then on my cheeks where now the sponge is drier. I pumped the foundation out on the back of my hand to warm it up too.
More importantly though, is how you prep your skin.
before applying make up, I use Origins zero oil toner on my t zone only. On my dry cheeks, massage in several drops of argan oil, then apply a moisturizer. I use Dior sorbet cream all over face, it's not at all greasy but hydrating enough. A cheaper alternative is the biotherm aquasource. The face oil part is importNt though. Just get the smallest size it's only 18 bucks and you onlyneed 2 or 3 drops each time.
with these preps, I barely need blotting, well once or twice, bit at least not 5 like before!
I really liked the bareminerals but with dry skin I feel it's impossible to use powder foundation. Still have a large portion of it but I'm kissing it goodbye!
Oh also, I tried usin\g LM tinted moisturizer. It's good on some dry skin, very light weight, but I got super oily on my forehead in less than 90 minutes.
I use Dior forever compact to do touchups. It blends well with my foundation shade. Cover fx blotting powder is nice too on the shiny areas.
Sorry my answers might be somehow disorganized but hope it helps! Good luck finding your next beloved foundation!
mariechestina

[ Edited ]

Thank you so much for your advice!

I ended up getting a beauty consultation at a Sephora store today, and loved my experience! I was recommended to try the MUFE HD foundation, primer, and elixir (not in that order, of course). I wore it throughout my shopping day and ended up going back to the store and purchasing it. 

I love Sephora! <3

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

Hi!

I don't think you've out grown the makeup there are alot of women older than you that wear it, but there is a good possibility that your skin is changing if you want to try a liquid for a while there are great options like:

1. MUFE HD Foundation

2. Urban Decay Naked Foundation

3. Dior Forever flawless foundation

And remember to set your makeup with a good finishing powder like Laura Mercier's loose powder or the HD Powder from MUFE (my fave):smileyhappy: Hope this helps!

mariechestina

(0) Hearts

Thank you both for your suggestions. I am actually visiting a Sephora store tomorrow, so hopefully I'll get some samples to try out!

Also, when I said that I "out grew" the makeup, I did not mean I was too old for it. I just meant that my hormones and skin might have changed, so that what once worked well, doesn't work as well anymore. 

Thanks, again! I'll definitely take your suggestions into consideration when I'm talking to someone at the store!

jasmine73

(0) Hearts

Is there anything about the BareMinerals that you are displeased with?  If not, and it's working, I would stick with it.  It's good for your skin and doesn't contain parabens or other gunk.  After using the BareMinerals for years, every time I try something else, I always end up going back. :smileyhappy:  It is just wonderful.  The only thing that I've found that comes close is the Smashbox Halo.  It is supposed to be hydrating (which I've not experienced), but it doesn't settle into pores and creates a nice canvas.  

I have also taken the technique of mixing a little BareMinerals foundation with my face lotion in the morning -- if your skin is dry and you'd like to change up your coverage, I would try this.  I found that I can achieve a bit more coverage without it looking like "powder".  With the winter months upon us, it might be a good option.

good luck! :smileyhappy:

mariechestina

(0) Hearts

My issue, as I stated in my original post, is that the BareMinerals powder foundation is emphasizing my pores, especially on my nose, so it looks like I'm wearing makeup, and it makes my skin look "chalky," which I'm not pleased with at all. Also, I constantly have to reply my foundation, which is an annoyance. 

I definitely know the benefits of BareMinerals, but I'm just not 100% pleased with it anymore and I want some advice from others, and maybe some new ideas from other women.

My main skin issues that I have to keep in mind is that I cannot have hydrating foundations because I'll become extremely oily on my T-zone no matter what time of year it is. However, my cheeks are dry during winter, but I do use Clinque gel moisturizer and that really does wonders with my occasional dry skin, and it does not clog my pores with my more oily areas on my face.

ashhay

(0) Hearts
Clinique offers a variety of liquid foundations that are light and support acne prone skin. Talk to one the makeup artist at a clinique counter. There you can test the different formulations to see which suits your skin type best. Clinique also offers powder foundations if you still want a powder finish.
mariechestina

(0) Hearts

I have been researching Clinique foundations since you recommended them. I have used Clinique products before, and have been really pleased with their moisturizer and facial cleansers. What liquid foundation would you recommend the most? I read reviews on the Even Better Makeup foundation, and all the reviews seemed positive. But I also read reviews on the Stay-Matte Oil-Free foundation and saw a lot of people saying they broke-out after using that foundation. Just wondering what your opinion is on Clinique's liquid foundations.

ashhay

I have acne prone sensitive skin with dark spots. Everybody has different views about acne and makeup. I think more attention should be given to the treatment of skin issues than just covering them up. I know a lot of people seem to like high end brands like makeup forever but I prefer a line that is also about skincare such as CLINIQUE. It is even suggested by dermatologist. If that is not a stamp of approval I don't know what is. I use to use Mac when I first started using makeup and I feel it made my skin worse. Anyway, to answer your question I use Cliniques even better makeup and I noticed changes within a couple of weeks in the appearance of my skin.
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • ashhay
    • mariechestina
    • beautylovingirl
    • ellacen
    • jasmine73
    • Laurin88