melde

For the love of powder!

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I am looking for my HG face powder... :smileyvery-happy:

I don't necessarily like using powder, but I do think my foundation wears off faster when I don't.

I prefer translucent (as it works in the winter when I am as white as a ghost, and in summer when I am still super pale but slightly more yellow).

The other sad thing is that I have pretty dry skin, so I feel like powder only emphasizes that.

Any suggestions on translucent powders, maybe really finely milled, or setting powders? I feel like every one I try I don't like... maybe I'm just too picky. :smileysad:

I thought I should ask you all since you are the best at knowing everything about makeup ever! :smileyhappy:

Edit- Totally willing to try drugstore recommendations in addition to high end! I'll try anything at this point!! haha

queenofcouture

Re: For the love of powder!

[ Edited ]

Oh you have to try the NARS Light Reflecting Setting Powder. There's pressed & loose!

The loose version will last you ages! Give it a try! It's very similar to the meteorites.

http://www.sephora.com/light-reflecting-pressed-setting-powder-P377757

melde

(0) Hearts

Thanks! That does look like an incredible product!

DTalksAll

I love Guerlain powders. It started when I treated myself once to the meteorites. I loved it so much & when I was in need of a pressed powder to keep in my purse for touchups I naturally checked out the compact. http://www.sephora.com/meteorites-compact-powder-P280415?skuId=1304955

It doesn't have shimmer like the pearls, but still evens out skin tone. I use it as a setting powder, touch-up throughout the day, or alone. It doesn't really have any coverage, and doesn't settle in my dry areas. 

melde

Um, that looks amazing... why have I never heard of it???? Thanks for sharing!! :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:

lreagan

I really like Smashbox's translucent setting powder! It's part of their photo ready series so it won't cause a white flashback in photos. I have combination skin that is oily in the t-zone with severe dry patches on my cheeks and chin and it keeps my oily places matte without emphasizing dry patches. It's also relatively inexpensive compared to some other brands.

http://www.sephora.com/photo-set-finishing-powder-spf-15-P267224?skuId=1262781

melde

(0) Hearts

Thanks! Yes, after reading this thread $28 does not seem too bad, haha.

beautylovingirl

[ Edited ]

You should check out the HD Powder from MUFE or Tarte's Smooth Operator Micronized Clay Finishing Powder. Even though you wouldn't think it would be for your skin type it says it hydrates dry skin. You can research and see what is right for you. Hope this helps!

melde

Thanks for these suggestions!!! :smileyhappy:

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

Oh oh oh! You should totally try the Koh Gen Do premium pressed powder! It is transluscent and does not dry out the skin OR emphasize dry spots (unless you rub your finger in the powder then onto the dry spot). It is very finely milled, feels buttery instead of dry. You can check out the rest of my raving about it in this post: http://community.sephora.com/t5/Products/Koh-Gen-Do-skincare-make-up-review/td-p/468165

It have super tiny/fine shimmer in the middle strip so the coverage isn't super matte, but if you are as shiny as a lightbulb it will tone down the shine, it just look natural. http://www.sephora.com/premium-pressed-powder-P375284?skuId=1453992

ps. My comparison point is Clinique Stay Matte, this one is more buttery/finely cut and gives a more natural matte/diffused rather than super matte finish.

melde

(0) Hearts

Oh that sounds lovely! Your descripton makes it sound like what I am looking for... do you think it is worth the $73? That seems like a lot for powder. It better be a miracle worker, haha. :smileyhappy:

ChicDabbler

Oh I was so bitter about splurging $70+ dollar on a powder cuz obviously it's a lot. My justification for it is:

1. Most powders mattifies and dry out the skin (which emphasizes pores/lines) while this mattifies but does not look dry even when I sweeped on 4-5 layers.

2. The powders I found that mattifies and hydrates....are loose powders posters here suggested. Those are great (I have mini jar of them), but loose powder is not portable and I don't want a cloud of it puffing up every time after I throw it in my bag (feels like just wasting money).

3. Mattifying powder is my most often used make up item and $70 on an quality item I use everyday is worth more than a $30 lipstick I use twice a year or 10 so-so items.

It may or may not worth the $70 price tag depending on your priorities, the only other comparable item (suggested to me by lylysa) is Too Faced Invisible powder, which I haven't tried and is not in stock right now. The brand is carried in most stores, so you can check it out and if it's not up to your standard, try Koh Gen Do. =)

http://www.sephora.com/absolutely-invisible-translucent-pressed-powder-P150750

melde

(0) Hearts

Well, those are perfect reasons for spending $70. And that is a great point about it being a product you use every day. (And I am extremely guilty of buying lots of expensive lipstick and using it every once in a while.)

keelybt

@Beautytester I love how excited you get about products you like :smileyhappy:

keelybt

Hi Melde Which ones have you tried and what didn't you like about them?

melde

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Hi Keely,

I've tried (that I can remember, haha):
Clinique Stay Matte Sheer Pressed Powder

Clinique Almost Powder SPF 15

(years ago I used Clinique loose powder)

Stila Sheer Pressed Powder

Then I've also tried some Neutrogena, Rimmel, and Revlon varieties, because I felt like I was wasting money constantly trying different high-end powders and not liking them, but I didn't like those either. :smileysad:

I just didn't like them in general... I like the look of plain foundation, but it wears off quickly. I don't like glooping a lot on my face and adding layer after layer. I don't like my face to look cakey and powdery. I like the fresh-faced look of foundation. :smileyhappy:

keelybt

Beautytester gave you a great recommendation with the Koh Gen Do. Another one to take a look at is Laura Mercier Loose Setting Powder.  It does the job without giving that overly powdered look.

swfupload_7178536646535418072.jpghttp://www.sephora.com/loose-setting-powder-P109908?skuId=870618

melde

(0) Hearts

Thanks Keely! I will have to look at that, too, when I go to the store this weekend! :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 12 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • DTalksAll
    • ChicDabbler
    • beautylovingirl
    • queenofcouture
    • lreagan