tinytiff101

Face is a different undertone than the neck

Hi there!

My face is lighter and has a pink undertone (I also have some light acne scars and rosacea) compared to my neck, which is slightly darker with a yellow undertone. I've tried the following:

1) A yellow undertone foundation that completely matches my neck: when I apply this though, my face still looks pink compared to my neck -- doesn't look quite right.

2) A neutral foundation shade, which also makes my face look either too orange or pink compared to my neck.

I'd love any advice on how to deal with this! My neck and face just look disjointed all the time. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Marika123

Re: Face is a different undertone than the neck

A lot of makeup artist suggest matching your foundation to an area between face and neck near your ear (where you can feel the bone) - that's where neck is the lightest and face has the least redness, so most likely foundation that matches this part of your face would be the best compromise between your face and neck. Then depending on how this color looks overall, you can either bring foundation slightly to your neck to make the transaction more invisible or make corrections using bronzer.

And probably you already know that anyway - but always check if foundation matches at natural lighting.

Hope this helps!

DiVWA

I have the opposite problem -- my face is darker than my neck. I've had MUAs try to match to the neck, and this makes my face look ghostly. Even going slightly lighter on my face makeup looks funny.

I don't want to wear foundation on my neck. I know some women do this (like my mom) and I just don't want to have to deal with this.

My latest trick is to apply some bronzing powder to my neck. I don't mind the powder as long as it doesn't transfer to clothing. I'm not sure if this will be something I continue doing or not. Even w/o makeup, it can look like I have a "makeup mask" on my face because of it being darker. When I wear foundation, I wear a really sheer one.

ireneh

Nice trick! I will have to try this. I hate the obvious contrast!

andyhtrieu

I have the same problem! My face is a little bit darker than my neck. I tried dragging my foundation past my jawline, but it would end up on the collar of my shirts. I tried using a light/medium self tanner on just my neck and it actually matches perfectly.

DiVWA

(0) Hearts

You're lucky the self tanner worked for you. It was too tricky for me to get the right shade to match my face. :smileysad:

btmod2

Hi tinytiff101,

I suggest setting your foundation with a powder with a lot of yellow undertones to offset the pink in your skin. One of my favorites is Bobbi Brown's Sheer Finish Pressed Powder in Pale Yellow. :smileyhappy:

Another option is the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Diffused Light. This has a more radiant, glowy finish to it, and the Bobbi Brown is more of a matte finish. Both of the powders work wonderfully!

Best,

Randee

Best,
Ty
tinytiff101

(0) Hearts

Thanks very much for the advice! This is one thing I'd never thought of yet, so I'll be giving it a go as soon as I get my hands on a good yellow-undertoned powder :smileyvery-happy:.

Spoiler

missey1973

I was just fussing about that last week. My face and neck are two totally different colors. I have rosacea and my face is much darker than my neck.  I always feel I look like a stop sign. Red face and stark white neck.

ladymeag

Have you tried using a color-correcting primer under your foundation? A green-tinted primer, like Koh Gen Do's or MUFE's HD primer, should help minimize the redness in your face and allow you to use a foundation that matches your neck and have the colors match up. 

Is it also possible that your foundation is oxidizing as you wear it, creating a too-pink or too-orange look? A primer should also help some with oxidization.  You can test this theory by putting some of your foundation on your arm and watching the color over the course of several hours - if it doesn't match on your arm after two or four hours, you'll know it's not just a color mis-match! :smileyhappy: 

http://www.sephora.com/maifanshi-color-base-green-P375382?skuId=1358217

http://www.sephora.com/hd-microperfecting-primer-P217906?skuId=1097146

ilovebears

Ooh, I've been really interested in trying KGD's "color base" primers.  Have you tried any of them before?

ladymeag

Yes! Lovely product with a great, easy application and really did help reduce the visible redness once my foundation was applied. If you write to them, they might be willing to send you samples. They sent me a few. :smileyhappy: 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 21 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • btmod2
    • ladymeag
    • ilovebears
    • Marika123
    • missey1973
    • ireneh