lho116

FOUNDATION SHADE MATCHING HELP NEEDED

(0) Hearts

Hi everyone! I'm having some trouble figuring out what shades of foundation work best for my skin color, and I feel like I'm able to pull off a handful of different shades which is frustrating. I have green eyes and dark brown hair and I'm irish, english and french. I do burn in the sun but then I continue to get darker and darker. The veins on the inside of my wrist look both green and blue.

So far I have tried 2 different shades of MUF HD foundation. First, I was matched with 155... I tried it for a week and then felt it was too dark. I brought it in to be exchanged and this time I was matched with 120. Thats quite a leap! After a week of that, I felt it was too light. I know this is a great foundation because I've researched it enough, but I got so fed up with having to go back to the store and exchange it I decided to try Nars Sheer Glow this time. I went with my friend yesterday (who is a makeup addict) and figured maybe she would be better at matching me. We decided on Punjab- but only after trying a handful and feeling like they all kinda matched.

Based on how I explained my skin, does punjab seem like the most sense? I dont see any issues yet..but I have only had it one day. Any advice on how to better match myself in the future would be so appreciated!

Reshhhu

Re: FOUNDATION SHADE MATCHING HELP NEEDED

(0) Hearts

Depending on the type of coverage you want if a medium buildable coverage works for you id recomend the Josie Maran Matchmaking Foundation. Its pretty awesome, i started using it this fall and i really do enjoy it

Let me put it this way, there is three shade: fair/light, light/medium, medium/dark (im medium dark). it comes out of the bottle white with little black specks, when you put it on your face and begin to spread with a foundation brush or fingers, it will match YOUR skin colour. i was skeptical at first to be honest but i love argan oil, its healthy for your skin and rich in vitamin E and fatty acids and makes my skin soft and smooth. Its also good for hair, cuticles etc etc so i figured id give it a shot and asked for a sample

I wanted a foundation that covers and heals. But like you, i cannot ever find my shade (theyre usually too fair or too orangy or too yellow for my skin tone) Not even sephora associates find a good match, i had to pick: do i want to look lighter or darker than my neck---> seriously sucked. Plus i recently started to use a night brightening cream that evens out my skin tone. Also as winter progresses my skin rapidly gets lighter and in summer my skin quickly turns dark brown when im in the sun for a day.

Ive never tried this product in summer but its great for winter since its moisturizing and it gives me a natural coverage. when you first put it on your face you need primer, else the oil completely absorbs into the skin and takes all the pigments with it (its all organic so nothing will harm your skin) once i began using a primer i got medium coverage and i could build it up. It goes on kind of oily but give it a minute and it will mattify out. It honestly looks like natural skin, you cannot see "cakiness" of foundation even if you build it up. it LOOKS like its your skin, but it also covers it up like a medium coverage would. Its not greasy after it finishes sinking in, your skin wont look oily or "shiny" it helps your skin regain its health and shine but it doesnt make it look like youve got oil all over your face.  

When you first put it on you feel the moisture and i paniced thinking it would feel heavy after sometime. but after a minute when the oil sank in and foundation set...it felt like i had nothing on,it feels so light, my skin is able to breathe. If i wear a foundation for half a day, i break out. Ive never had a problem with this one sometimes i weark it from 8:30am to 10:30pm when im finally back from my lab. my skin still felt moisturized  but not greasy. i didnt feel the heaviness of a thick foundation. it felt like i simply lightly put on cream. i dont think it would be a problem for me in the summer either because once the oil sinks in it will be very light. It lasts me through a day of 9-6, sometimes i dont feel the need to touch it up, i still feel the moisture all day even if its harsh cold weather outside or really windy

I get a lot of compliments from people saying i have glowing skin because no one suspects that its foundation. its healing and antiaging and argan oil makes my face baby soft. 

i HIGHLY recomend you ask the sephora associate for a sample to try FIRST before you buy it especially if youre worried about the oil breaking you out, or if it will really change to match your skin. Josie Maran says she even recomends the oil for people who have oily skin because it will balance this out, it also helps people who have acne (i dont have acne so i cant give you my input on this and i have dry skin so the moisture helps me)

Many people find it hard to believe it will actually match their skin colour (that was me too) but it completely matches my neck colour and ive never found a better matching foundation...ever. If youre worried about a powder to set the foundation that matches your skin and are having the same trouble, josie maran also has a matchmaking foundation powder thats the same concept as the foundation: one shade will change to match all. ive never tried it though so i cant really tell you about it. 

Also there is a good deal right now for a starter kit for some of her products! The FULL size matchmaking foundation is $55 but if you get this kit for $64 you get a FULL size argan oil and FULL size matchmaking foundation along with a great illuminizer and daily moisturizer and a one time sample of her clenser. i have this kit, i love everything in it. its well worth the money. http://www.sephora.com/nourishing-argan-matchmaker-complexion-set-P377566?skuId=1477702

Anyways i hope this helps. its just a random suggestion that i think you should try. Please try a sample first though, it doesnt work for everyone, but for you to give it a fair chance use a primer. i really hope you at least try it. It may not be for everyone, many people complain its not enough coverage, i find i get enough but im also a medium dark colour so i find its more pigmented since the colour is darker. give it a try, get a sample. i love this foundation~ makes my skin baby soft! 

Hope this helps! sorry its so long v.v'

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

I really hoped that my answer helped you sometimes it hard to understand.

lho116

thank you! That all made perfect sense and helped a lot. I've never considered myself as having oily skin. I would say it is normal/combination but more dry than oily. It does get the typical oilyness in the t zone area at the end of the day. But I have never noticed it enough for it to bother me. So far I am really liking Punjab in nars sheer glow! I think it's a keeper :smileyhappy: thanks again!

islandqt

It is very hard for anyone to get the perfect match for their skin. It seems like your difficulty is similiar to mine seeing as it stems from the fact that our skin tones are neutral. the positive is that we look good in most colors, the negative is that we don't really "fit" into a lot of foundations.

perhaps mixing the two foundations you got from make up forever would yield a good result?

Also, do you have oily skin? If you do this might be a source of some of your issues. Oily skin causes foundation to "oxidize" more which means it will get darker as it mixes with the oils in your skin. Drier skins don't have this problem as much. Some foundations also oxidize more than others, for eg MAC pro longwear, Iman pressed powder and YSL touche eclat foundation all oxidize quite a bit.

Make Up forever HD foundations tend to go bu your undertone but a lot of them are either warm or cool not neutral. MAC foundations are the same. L'oreal true match has some neutral tones as do Clinique foundations.

I tend to like a little more red in my skin so I tend to go for foundations that are warmer than my skintone if I can't get a perfect match.

Also, remember you can "correct" a foundation that is too light for your skin by applying bronzer on key points on your face.

Another helpful tip is to test your foundation on your jawline AND your chest. If your face is the "odd one out" in that it is lighter or darker than the rest of your body then getting it to match the rest of you might be your answer, rather than to just look for a foundation that is the exact color of your face.

I hope this makes sense!!

Good luck!

lho116

(0) Hearts

Thank you!!

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

Well going by the blue/green veins your undertone is neutral which means your a little of both, warm/cool that's what I am except my complexion is med/dark, but Punjab does seem to be the right match in the Nars sheer glow. In the future if your matching or being matched tell the makeup artist that your mostly neutral undertone that way they can match you so the colors wil match, also wait about 10 seconds after trying the foundation to see if it oxidizes(turns darker) most of them do but not always. Hope this helps!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 hearts
  • 4 in conversation
    • islandqt
    • beautylovingirl
    • Reshhhu
    • lho116