jellymonster

Does your face primer break you out?

I know lots of you guys use face primers and some wonder if the primer you are using actually clogs your pores and breaks you out! Well, in case you haven't noticed most all primers contain "Dimethicone" or "Mineral Oils", including foundations. STAY away from those ingredients if you have sensistive skin that clogs easily. 

Products to try- Koress face primer free of silicones

If anyone has primers to suggest please comment below! 

beauty4ashes

Re: Does your face primer break you out?

Quote by lylysa:  

"...If skin is not properly cleansed of oil and extraneous bacteria, the barrier formed over skin can then trap and prolong the time those oils and bacteria is on the skin, thus allowing them to just linger and clog pores. The key would be to be sure skin is properly cleansed and well prepped for any cosmetic or moisturizing/treatment routine as opposed to just slathering on product..."

I wanted to add that HAND WASHING & CLEAN TOOLS are also extremely important. 

The primer barrier on our faces acts similar to a petri dish environment that allows the bacteria to multiply rapidly with our body heat.

lylysa

Very true! Proper cleansing on all fronts is crucial and can minimize any risks or issues to skin. :smileyhappy:

Ria9786

(0) Hearts

I also have the same problem and I use the Tarte primer. I've tried the Sephora brand silicone free primer and Veil, and Korres but find Tarte to work the best for me so far.

meecheroo

(0) Hearts

I use Cover Girl Aquasmooth foundation that has silicone and it doesn't break me out. Something about these primers though....

meecheroo

(0) Hearts

This is the second time I'm using Hourglass Veil primer. I'm feeling like it's breaking me out. I didn't even like it the first time around, but everyone raved about it, and so I wanted to give it another try. I just don't like it, but I'll finish it up. I bought Mally primer from Beauty website, so I'll give that a try next.

blackunicorn

(0) Hearts

Tarte is also silicone free. 

knadala

(0) Hearts

Benefit's Porefessional and Tarte's clean slate poreless primer are the two primers which have NEVER done anything negative to my skin. I am a super oily gal too LOL.

CORPORATEK

(0) Hearts

@jellymonster ---- what do you use for foundation that doesn't have silicones / dimethicone ??!!!

jellymonster

(0) Hearts

I use the Clarisonic Mia and expfolidate as I should. I take VERY well care of my skin, infact-I probably spend to much time making sure its healthy and smooth. So no, that is not causing my breakouts. I have been told my various dermatologists and makeup artists that dimethicones, silicones do cause the barrier which is a possibility to clogging people's pores depending on their skin type. Even with the cleanest skin I will get breakouts with the wrong primer containg those ingredients. I've checked everyone of my skin care and makeup products and there is nothing else that could break me out. I do research as well and no what causes breakouts and what doesnt. Thanks anyways.

lylysa

Many skin care and cosmetic lines depend on silicone, dimethicone, of natural silica in their products as method of providing a barrier as the molecule of silicone or dimethicone is too large to be absorbed by the skin and through pores. Many "natural" lines of products will feature things like mica, silica, or clay as they are found in nature and the formulation of a cosmetic or skincare product will do little if no alternation to it.

To have products formulated with silica, silicone, or dimethicone be the root to break outs can be proved if there's an actual skin allergy that causes a reaction such as break outs or blemishes to form. The probable cause or reasoning why silica/silicone/dimethicones can get such a bad wrap or pinpointed as break out causers is because of the barrier it forms. If skin is not properly cleansed of oil and extraneous bacteria, the barrier formed over skin can then trap and prolong the time those oils and bacteria is on the skin, thus allowing them to just linger and clog pores. The key would be to be sure skin is properly cleansed and well prepped for any cosmetic or moisturizing/treatment routine as opposed to just slathering on product.

Natural silica,silicones, and dimethicone can serve a purpose in terms of helping with oil control (primers like Benefit's Porefessional can be tapped over make up on oily spots throughout the day to absorb shine without caking on more powder) and can form helpful barriers in terms of extreme cold/harsh weather conditions where skin needs a water impervious barrier as to not allow wing and cold to dehydrate skin immediately.

It's always important to educate oneself in terms of what a product contains, how the ingredients are of use, and then knowing whether or not any sensitivies or allergies apply to one person. Cosmetics and skin care can be such a case by case trial, consulting dermatologists, skinc are therapists, or even doing "test patches" of application can assist in discovering whether or not things can be applied to oneself.

jellymonster

(0) Hearts

Oh, and porefesional actually tends to make my skin oily and give it that slippery feel from the silicones etc. It also breaks me out. I found the Korres Primer free of that helps best for my skin. As I've stated, I take great care of my skin I know it is not dirty of clogged beforehand. I also use the Clarisonic Mia and exploliate. 

lylysa

(0) Hearts

I've heard that reaction too. It's really a 50/50 shot in terms of oily/combo skin and using a silica/dimethicone based primer.

For some oily/combo skin types, the S/D forms a nice barrier, but for others, the actual feel and texture of S/D is not pleasant so there in lies a preference for more simple or water based primers.

Lorac and Napoleon Perdis make great water based primers that I love (my skin is normaly but I bounce back between all types of primers to try things on the market).

The Lorac one is very basic, void of many irritants, and helps bind healthy moisture to skin, while the NP one has soothing botanicals to calm redness! :smileyhappy:

babybear04

My rule of thumb for a lot of skincare products, especially moisturizer and primer, is to avoid ingredients like silicone/dimethicone, mineral oil, fragerance, and a whole bunch of unecessary things! I've tried the Korres primer which is really nice, and I hear that Lorac's primer is free of some of those nasty chemicals as well!

Since avoiding ingredients like this, the quality of my skin has improved tremendously!  I've done loads of research on the ingredients in my skin so I now have a pretty good idea of what to avoid when looking at products.  I make sure to always always always look at the ingredients before I purchase anything, and I sometimes even carry a cheat sheet around!

Hope this helps and best of luck!

jellymonster

(0) Hearts

I totally agree with you! Hate mineral oil, or my skin does at least. Yeah I love the korres primer (:

ChicDabbler

More of a heads up, but A LOT of moisturizers and serum also contain dimethicone (silicone) and some also contain mineral oil. If you have to stay away from dimethicone and mineral oil, take a look at your serum and moisturizer as well as your primer (and probably foundation, too)

bananachoox3

I love my Lorac AquaPrime primer. Its oil free, paraben free, silicone free, and fragrance free. Its a water based primer that really helps for those who have sensitive and oily skin. I use it everyday under my foundation and I love it so much I have a backup since the current one is about done. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 10 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • jellymonster
    • lylysa
    • ChicDabbler
    • CORPORATEK
    • babybear04
    • bananachoox3