immichaeld

Do you wear makeup to the gym? If so, what do you do to your face afterwards?

So school is soon approaching and I am going to be starting my masters degree in Epidemiology (excited yet scared)! 

Anyways, I am certain that I am going to be very busy and will only be able to go to the gym between class breaks or before class starts. Other than that, I will be researching, with clients, or TAing.

My question is, do you or should you go to the gym with makeup on? If you do, what do you do with your face afterwards? Obviously I do not want to reapply my makeup on a sweaty face and if I shower, I would have to start my whole skincare regime again followed by makeup (which takes quite a long time). In addition, I would be in a male locker room and could you imagine what those "gym jocks" would think if they saw me doing my routine ... oh please (I hate when people judge).

Any tips, advice or suggestion would be great to hear!

Definitely let me know, thank you so much in advance!

Michael, xo

beyourbeauty

Re: Do you wear makeup to the gym? If so, what do you do to your face afterwards?

(0) Hearts

epidemiology! that rocks! 

i was a microbiology/biochem major in college and was always interested in epidemiology! 

this post was totally unrelated to makeup but i thought i'd tell you that you're area of study is awesome!

RedFoxHeidi

Re: Do you wear makeup to the gym? If so, what do you do to your face afterwards?

(0) Hearts

Like many said already, congrats and good job on furthering your education! Best of luck to you!

Personally what I would do is use a primer to keep your makeup in place. If you're doing really strenuous activity, keep a powder or mist that will re-mattify your skin and be done!

hessychris

(0) Hearts

Michael, if I had your skin, not only would I NOT wear makeup, I would be a "close talker" to the third power. I do wear makeup to the gym (I'm a pilates girl) only because I don't want to scare innocent civilians on my way there and while I am there. Granted, I don't do a full face but just enough to where I feel comfortable that children won't be running in the opposite direction screaming for their parents. I don't sweat much in pilates though but when I do, it kinda gives my makeup a nice dewyness that I kinda enjoy. Unless I sweat to the point that my eyebrows are rolling off my face - not a good look!

I have brought my omorovicza queen of Hungary mist with me and spritzed it on right after (on top of the existing makeup) and it gives a "refreshed" feeling.  Doesn't do much for makeup but it doesn't ruin what's there already. 

I love science and and I am too a science nerd so congrats on your Masters.  I'm due to start in September to get an advanced nursing degree and I truly have no motivation to start. Go science!!! :smileyhappy:

solveig

(0) Hearts

Kudos to you for going back to school! I am a semester away from graduating with my Bachelor's degree, but I am already planning my grad school career :smileyhappy:

I go to the gym (or running) around 5am, so I certainly don't wear makeup while working out. I remember my high school days, however, and I've always hated going to P.E. because the feeling of sweat over/under makeup just grossed me out (eventually I stopped using makeup on those days altogether). I would definitely suggest taking your makeup off before you exercise and doing a quick cleanser and toner routine afterwards. I am sure your skin will thank you for it. If you're concerned about reapplying makeup after that, try a lighter foundation or tinted moisturizer that doesn't take too much time and effort to blend (my personal favorite is Tarte Amazonian Clay tinted moisturizer, because it lasts a decent amount of time on oily skin).

LindenAnn

Oooh! I saw epidemiology and got all excited. I have a phd in microbiology. Science nerds unite!! :smileyvery-happy:

I don't have much in the way of after-exercise tips unfortunately. I have this problem where I don't sweat enough and end up overheating so my face is always kind of tight and dry after working out the rare times it involves something other than swimming. And it's not like there's much in the way of options when it comes to swimming! 

I would definitely suggest washing your face if you sweat any decent amount though. If the gym jocks are being ***** about it just wash your face in the locker room and do everything else later. Maybe restrict the skincare regime to face wash and moisturizer, then when you have a few minutes throw on some powder foundation real quick. I find it's faster to use something like bare minerals powder than mess with liquid foundation and you don't even really need a mirror.

jellybean917

(0) Hearts

Congrats on heading to grad school! I'm a grad student as well, and scheduling time for exercise and looking presentable can be challenging with all of the things we have to do! I prefer not to wear makeup to the gym, so I try to go first thing in the morning, and shower/get ready there. Sometimes the best time to go is in the middle of the day when I'm already made up though. Then, I make sure to at least quickly wash my face and put on moisturizer after. I keep makeup at my desk in the lab if I need to touch up. 

Brie514

Around the 3:00 mark the Paula's Choice team explain how to handle post gym skin. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StbqYNkLcWU

I found that washing my face properly after a workout rather than just using a quick cleansing cloth made a huge difference to my skin. Judgy people can go play in traffic! What good is it to have a rocking body when your face is a mess!?!?

jemly

it seems off topic but i think quite relevant, i've been thinking of starting a thread on tips for midday skin care. that is, if you go to the gym, or take a shower, or need to just redo makeup from scratch because you're going out, etc. over cleansing can be, indeed, hard on the skin and therefore can be a bit perplexing on how to go about these midday situations. the way i approach it is, as long as i do things that condition the skin after cleansing, i'll be ok if i wash 3 times a day (this is something i do every now and then and not everyday). so, after cleansing i'll ALWAYS do a moisturizing toner and moisturizer. my skin's pH stays balanced this way and skin stays happy.

so, michael, my suggestion is to get a gentle non-foaming cleanser for post-gym, specifically. especially if you're working out with makeup on, cleanse it all off after sweating and start over. something like FAB facial cleanser. and then a hydrating toner. something that sprays and is easy, like murad hydrating toner or even caudalie beauty elixir. then moisturize. 

annypoo

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I do wear makeup to the gym, but it's because I usually go right after work and I already have makeup on. I don't sweat a lot so for the most part my makeup stays on. I just take a makeup wipe after working out and wipe my face with it (mostly my foundation). I know I will be heading right home afterwards anyway so I can wash my face thoroughly when I get home.  

melissabt

[ Edited ]

Hi Michael,

Congrats on starting your masters degree, that's amazing!

I wear make up when I work out or do yoga:smileysad: I just cannot help myself, I try to keep it simple and use a bb cream and mascara only. Currently, I use the Dior Hydralife BB. I find that it gives more coverage than a lot of other bb creams and it looks really natural on the skin.

golden peach.jpg

I always use a make up wipe and in the shower. I love the Ole Grease Relief™ Cleansing Cloths: Oil-Free Pore Refining. It contains lactic and glycolic acid to refine skins texture and eucalyptus. These also tingle a bit too! I notice a lot less breakouts when I use them.

oil.jpg

<3 Melissa
sonofmanjesus

(0) Hearts

I have found that using a gentle powder foundation like smashbox Halo powder works great. Waterproof mascara is a definite. I go home and shower since it is only a few minutes away and then wash it off using Boscia gentle cleanser and my clarisonic. You don't want the dirt and bacteria getting trapped in there. I use a multi tasking cream such as Lancome blur if I am going to go back out. If you are going to reapply your makeup I would suggest a light moisturizer and your usual makeup routine. If you get a good foundation brush it should take less than 10 minutes to do a full face. Who cares what other people think. Do what makes YOU feel good. That is what wearing makeup is about. 

meganlisa

(0) Hearts

I guess I differ from most…but I always wear makeup to the gym.  Granted, Often I go to yoga at lunch time so the makeup was on for hours before.  But even early in the morning I put on light makeup.  A BB or CC cream, concealer, blush, light lip gloss and waterproof mascara.  Sometimes I'll use a highlighter or sparkly sheer eye shadow dusted on.

I like makeup (hence me even being on this board) and enjoy putting it on…any time…even early.  I do run into people I know at the gym, including professional contacts, and feel more comfortable with the little extra effort.

But I seem to be in the minority on this issue.

And, I do sweat a lot sometimes but am very meticulous with removing makeup at night, after workouts and the like so I don't have breakout problems.

Good luck at school!!!

RandeeBT

Hi Michael!

Congratulations on getting into grad school :smileyhappy:, That is very exciting! For the most part, I don't go to the gym with makeup on. That being said, I do go to the gym during my lunch break once a week. I will usually just apply BB cream with a little bit of powder and waterproof mascara in the mornings I know I will be going to the gym during my lunch break.I don't like to wear absolutely no makeup to work because I don't want to scare my co workers:smileytongue:.

I usually do some running so even the BB cream sweats off of my face. I bring a face wash and moisturizer with me to the gym so I can make sure my skin is nice and clean after I work out. If you can, it would be ideal to do this step before you work out, however, I always like to wash my face after I work out, so doing this step after works best for me. :smileyhappy:

I don't feel as bad working out with BB cream (especially since it's just once or twice a week that I do it) because it has skincare benefits in it and I feel like it protects my face. My go-to BB Cream at the moment is REN's Satin Perfection BB Cream. I know you don't want to do a whole makeup routine after the gym. This BB Cream is perfect for applying in a hurry and you can just blend it in with your hands really quickly so it won't be as obvious that you're applying makeup :smileywink:. It has pretty nice coverage and you can just set with a bit of pressed powder and you'll be nice and matte the rest of the day!

Best,
Randee
immichaeld

Awee Randee, thank you for your kind words! It means a lot! 

I will definitely check out your suggestion on the Ren Satin Perfection BB Cream! I really like how the product includes SPF, that will come in handy if I have to walk outside around campus! I also like how BB creams include benefits for the skin, another plus!

Thanks for all the info and recommendation! 

Michael, xo!

Manda

(0) Hearts

I personally would not go to the gym with makeup on. I normally either never wore makeup on days that I go to the gym or I wipe it off. 

ballerinagrl

This became an issue for me only about a year after turning 40. I now use waterproof mascara and a BB Cream, and post workout I remove the BB cream in the shower, before reapplying it ... 

At your age your skin is probably so fantastic that you don't need much, if any makeup, for the gym, but of course you likely don't see it that way, especially if you're prone to breakouts. If you are prone to breakouts, maybe a little concealer and a coat of mascara would be enough? You need to avoid blocked pores.

If you have to meet clients after the gym, and want to look more professional than you feel you do sans makeup, simply follow your normal routine following a post workout shower. Try not to care what others think. If they have so little going on in their lives that they judge, so be it. Forge them and focus on you.

So impressed that you're going into epidemiology; fascinating field (I'm a high school guidance counselor!)

immichaeld

(0) Hearts

First of all, thank you so much for the kind words and encouragement!

Secondly, your suggestion is a great idea! Definitely going to take it into consideration!

Michael, xo

notcreative

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

On the rare occasions I wear makeup, I try to remember a makeup removing wipe and moisturizer (hate, hate dry, tight feeling skin).  I tend not to do a full skincare routine, because I know I will wash my face again before bed.  I actually remembered to bring both yesterday, and I was so pleased with myself.  I remove everything but the makeup closest to my eyes, AKA eyeliner and mascara.  I prefer full on BiFacial rather than a wipe to remove that stuff, and it does not prevent my skin from breathing.  Then, I just go home or wherever I am headed to next without much makeup on.

Today, I went to the gym sans makeup.  That is always easier.  If you have any possible way to work out first thing in the morning before getting dressed for the day, it is better for your skin and your body.  I was able to do that today but had to work out in the early evening yesterday.  It is hard to find the time but worth it when you can.

andyhtrieu

I've learned from a few people on here that you shouldn't wear a lot makeup to the gym if you're going to be sweating A LOT. It will end up looking gross, and there's a possibility that your pores will get clogged, meaning you'll have a few pimples. If you're wearing light makeup, like just a light layer of foundation and powder, you should be fine. 

Try going to the gym at night so you can just take off your makeup before, go to the gym, and not worry about having to do your routine all over again. :smileyhappy:

immichaeld

(0) Hearts

That's a great idea! I could then just go home and shower then apply nighttime skincare! 

It also wouldn't waste my makeup or skincare products!

Thanks a lot, Andy! 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 29 replies
  • 21 hearts
  • 21 in conversation
    • Manda
    • melissabt
    • solveig
    • ashleynne
    • beyourbeauty