Spyski

Dark Circles (Genetic)

[ Edited ]

I'd like to get some recommendations for dark circles under my eyes (the hollow looking kind). Unfortunately, it is gentic. Being in my early 20s I really don't want these to linger any longer! I'm currently using bareMinerals Stroke of Light in L1. I don't find it setting enough even after waiting a couple of minutes. Any suggestions?

katie1724

Re: Dark Circles (Genetic)

I agree with Lylysa -- a peachy or yellow-toned concealer can work wonders! I myself love Armani Maestro Eraser (expensive, but the best I've used -- it's really pink-toned). Benefit Erase Paste is great if you can use one of the three shades...and I also like Bobbi Brown Corrector (all peach and pink based shades), but it can be a bit drying, so I would definitely make sure your under eye area is moisturized before applying it.

As a non-product related suggestion, I love Wayne Goss's tutorial on covering dark circles -- there's something about the application technique (applying it right in the hollow of the circle) that really works. He's on youtube under Gossmakeupartist or something like that (or you can google Wayne Goss). Lisa Eldridge also has an excellent video on circles that really delves into the causes -- it's interesting. :smileyhappy:

latinadiva

For dark circles, you could try a salmon colored concealer like Benefit's Erase Paste. I would say in terms of concealer products to cover up dark circles, Benefit has worked well for me. You could also try a brightening powder like Bare Minerals Well Rested or Summer Bisque or the Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder.

lylysa

Good call on other concealers/correctors.

To Spyski, it's honestly a toss up in terms of yellow correctors or salmon/peach toned correctors.

As Mizzy mentioned, yellow is the opposite of purple on the color wheel, just as orange is the opposite of blue, making you able to use either yellow toned or orange toned correctors to block out discoloration from dark circles.

If your circles lean more toward blue or purple, choose the corrector accordingly, if it's a balance between the two, then experiment with which tone you like better!

MizzyyzziM

[ Edited ]

I just tried to post a reply here but I wasn't logged in yet. I hope two posts don't show up. I just wanted to let you know that a Benefit Cosmetics Product called Lemon-Aid with is an eye shadow primer and color corrector a lot of people use under their eyes for dark circles. They apply their foundation over it and its been really successful and works for a friend of mine with genetically dark circles under her eyes.

Benefit Cosmetics - Lemon-Aid

Hope this helps. I think because on the color wheel yellow is the opposite of the bluish purple colors, under the eyes can develop. So it cross fades them out.

Oh and btw your make up looks beautiful and you seem to be doing a pretty good job so far!

Warm Regards, Missy

Spyski

(0) Hearts

Thanks Missy! 

I'll definitely be checking out reviews on this product asap.

lylysa

I worked with a couple of Benefit artists before and they all stated that Lemon-Aid can be used on the lids/under eye area, but is not a primer as can crease.

It does work well to combat the purple undertones in dark circles like you mentioned. :smileyhappy:

beautylovingirl

Shiseido offers the white lucent eye cream which is especially made for dark circles, also their natural creamy concealer is a really creamy concealer that covers well but still gives a really light finish. Hope this helps!

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Though you've come to terms with the dark circles being genetic, take a look at this thread where I gave info on what to look for in eye creams that can help with factors you can control/change that should help:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/All-Other-Skincare-Concerns/DREADFULL-dark-circles-Not-just-counselo...

Peter Thomas Roth's Power K eye cream is a great vitamin K fortified treatment and Shiseido offers great brightening eye creams as well!

In terms of make up, aside from the Amazing Cosmetics Concealer recommended in my above thread, try Lorac's Double Feature Concealer/Highlighter Duo. I believe Sephora just discontinued it, but it's on Lorac's website since they launched their new foundation/concealer pen.

It's got a super creamy stick concealer and coordinating highlighting liquid, even packaged with a roller ball up top to blend if you're on the go and don't want to get your fingers messy!

Spyski

Thanks, I may have to give Exuviance a try. I always thought eye creams were mostly non-effective money down the hole products. I never really seen any "holy grail" reviews, maybe I'm just not researching enough though. 

lylysa

[ Edited ]

It can be different for everyone, especially because your genetic factors may be more influential than the next person's or someone's environmental/external factors may be stronger than what you have going on.

The Exuviance one is a good place to start, it's not the priciest, but it's one of the first I started using and I liked it. Though I don't have hereditary dark circles, it did help with combating environmental/external factors, so at least with that product you can keep what you can control at bay and not worsen what genetics have set in place for you. :smileyhappy:

Treatment products like eye creams or even serums can take up to 4-6 weeks to show results, even upwards to 8-12 weeks for full/optimal results to be seen, so a little patience does hand in hand with it as well!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 13 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • lylysa
    • latinadiva
    • beautylovingirl
    • MizzyyzziM
    • Spyski