foudre

DRY SKIN

(0) Hearts

This winter I have been afflicted with very dry skin. I was wondering if there were any tips on porducts that would allieve the flakiness, and products, particularly, foundations I could wear that would not exemplify the look of my dry skin. I don't like the matte look and prefer very dewy looks. Unfortunately, the foundations I have tried so far are always more for people with combination to oily. 

What worked for you??

suzannemb

Re: DRY SKIN

(0) Hearts

I have a similar question... I have dry skin as well and I moisturize very well but I need a full coverage foundation.  I find that all foundations I have tried are matte or have a powdery finish (ie; Kat Von D's 'Lock-It').  Can anyone recommend a full coverage foundation for dry skin that has a dewy finish?

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Take a look at my suggestion for Tarte's Maracuja Foundation below or look into MUFE's HD finish make up, which allows for buildable coverage so you have more flexibility with the product.

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

Since your extra dryness might be also caused by the harsh wind (trust me, I know, it's 20mph with the below zero temp here today, I'm walking sideways and can barely breathe), I strongly recommend Hourglass no.28 Primer Serum under your foundation. There is a noticeable difference in dryness and how wind-chapped my cheeks are at end of the day for when I wear this primer and when I don't or wear other primers. It's mostly silicone, same as other primers, so it's super protective and make your makeup look pretty. BUT, it is super hydrating with 28 essential/nourishing oil + vitamins, but does not clog pores or break my combination skin out like some intense hydration stuff targetted toward dry skin do.

Hourglass - N° 28 Primer Serum

http://www.sephora.com/n-28-primer-serum-P309504?skuId=1412592

lylysa

Tell me why I expected and was wondering when you would drop by with this suggestion? :smileytongue:

*high 5*

ChicDabbler

Hahahaha, maybe because I kind of casually mentioned it in, like, six other posts? How kind of you to leave room for me to suggest it. =P

Primers are like winter coats for the part of the face I am unable to hide with hat/scarf. I feel like other primers are more creamy/lotion consistency, but no.28 is basically just liquid silicone+essential oil and that's it.

foudre

(0) Hearts

I exfoliate with clarisonic, I wear balancing water, emulsion, and hydrating cream (all from Nature Republic or Sulwhasoo which only use natural ingredients). At night I try to wear overnight vitalizing treatment. I go outside everyday and am exposed to this winter's harsh winds all the time. I normally have dry skin and in the summer I normally have a bit of oiliness on my nose, but that is very minimal. Is there anything else I should add?

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Though I'm not familiar with those products/lines, try taking a look at these cleansers in the below thread:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Dry/Does-Philosophy-Purity-dry-the-skin/td-p/438447

They're more along the lines of natural, botanical based ingredients as well as more gentle formulas, but are richer than a cleasing water.

The Clarisonic does provide certain aspects of exfoliation, but isn't an exfoliating tool persay, so you still might consider using an actual exfoliating wash/product, but do so on its own and not use it with the Clarisonic as that can be too abrassive.

This below thread breaks down the types of exfoliants to look into based on being a physical based exfoliant or chemical based as well as having examples and product suggestions:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Dry/dull-face-and-dark-circles/m-p/432931

You might also look into moisturizers from Origins or First Aid Beauty to infuse more moisture to skin.

lylysa

[ Edited ]

To start with, foundations won't necessarily be your best method of treatment or resolving the issue, but if you need a new foundation, try Tarte's Maracuja Foundation. It's fortified with maracuja oil which hydrates and conditions skin as well as gives your complexion an anti-oxidant boost. Natural oils like maracuja mimic what skin actually needs rather than just clog pores like synthetic oils. You can also layer a hydrating primer like Smashbox's Photo Finish Hydrating over moisturizer and under foundation to continuously hydrate and also form a nice barrier over skin and problem areas to help your make up wear and sit better, not let it settle into dry areas, and prolong the wear of your foundation.

In terms to tackle the dryness and flakes, what are you currently using for skin care? Give us some more info so we can see what needs to be changed in your routine!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 hearts
  • 4 in conversation
    • lylysa
    • ChicDabbler
    • foudre
    • suzannemb