Bombshell88

Contouring for a very fair complexion.

Hi everyone! I am quite pale. To give you an idea, my friend was actually able to white balance his camera off my face once :smileyfrustrated: Foundations with pink undertones are too much for me. I think I have yellow-ish undertones. Now to my question:

What powder based bronzers or blushes would you recommend for me to contour with? Should I use a bronzer or would a taupe blush be better?

silverandgold

Re: Contouring for a very fair complexion.

(0) Hearts

For sure you should check out Becca line of Luminous Skin Colour.  Her line is set up for everyone on the planet can find the perfect foundation in their perfect shade. Also you wont look like you are wearing a mask, this is a great line. She has foundation for people with yellow undertones, warm, red you name it you can find it on this line. You should also check out the Shimmering Skin Perector.  You can't go wront with any of the products.

Foundation chart.jpgBecca with yellow undertones.jpg

Also the Becca Mineral Blush Flowerchild you should check it out. It has peachy pink, golden highlights. This looks great on every skin tone. It applies really smooth and silky. If your complexion is more fair a simple one layer dusting with a blush brush or even your fingers will give you a beautiful glow.

silverandgold

(0) Hearts

For sure you should check out Becca line of Luminous Skin Colour.  Her line is set up for everyone on the planet can find the perfect foundation in their perfect shade. Also you wont look like you are wearing a mask, this is a great line. She has foundation for people with yellow undertones, warm, red you name it you can find it on this line. You should also check out the Shimmering Skin Perector.  You can't go wront with any of the products.

Foundation chart.jpgBecca with yellow undertones.jpg

Bombshell88

Thanks everyone for your great advice! :smileyvery-happy: You have no idea how much you've helped me!

lylysa

(0) Hearts

It's our pleasure, girlie! :smileyvery-happy:

katie1724

I use Burberry Earthy blush to contour -- it's not a bronzer, but a brown blush. It's not too dark at all, and doesn't look dirty or misplaced on my skin.

NARS Douceur is another good shade -- it's a browned pink that is great for adding warmth to the complexion.

Bombshell88

Thanks so much for your advice! I've heard some good things about the NARS Douceur and because of your recommendation, I'm definitely going to check it out the next time I visit Sephora :smileyhappy:

queenofcouture

(0) Hearts

I use Burberry's Earthy as a contour as well and I have super pale skin. (: It looks amazing! 

A cheaper alternative would be NYX's Taupe. 

katie1724

Oh, good! It's a really good shade. Tarte Exposed is another one I always forget -- it looks really unassuming in the tester (brown), but it's so beautiful on the skin -- it just makes it look healthy (and swatches as a brownish pink, too).

Bombshell88

You know, I have Tarte Exposed but I never thought about using it as a contour lol

katie1724

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Maybe it wouldn't be a good one, I don't know -- maybe it's too pink (NARS Douceur is not as pink) -- I just know that when I try to contour with traditional bronzers or contour powders, they're all so dark that it looks really off! I might have been thinking more of "things that give me sun-like color" rather than bronzers :smileytongue:

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

Have you checked out Korres Contouring Trio?

Korres - Magic Light Contouring Trio

http://www.sephora.com/magic-light-contouring-trio-P309701?skuId=1412527

It have a bit of super fine shimmer, nothing sparkly, but enough to give you a glow instead of having the color look flat on your face. The biggest complaint in the review is that it's too light/sheer for darker skintones, which shouldn't be a problem for you. =)

User submitted photo

Those are the lightest swatches I can find. If you are interested, I can swatch them on white paper for you (or right under my collarbone, which is pretty much the lightest you can ever get as an Asian since it doesn't ever get exposed to sun, yellow undertone).

Alternatively, you can use a foundation that's 1-2 shade darker for bronzer, and if you find the bronzer/blush a tad too dark, try apply using a fan brush rather than powder brush or fingers.

Bombshell88

No, I haven't checked out the Korres Contouring Trio (which is surprising since I love Korres lol) but I will now! Thank you for posting those swatches :smileyhappy: It sounds perfect for me haha I think I will go into the store this weekend and check it out.

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

Oh I couldn't resist swatching it...and realize how terrible I am at contouring/swatching things.*cough* but, in case you are interested.

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/Current-Obsession/m-p/433789#M6292

lylysa

[ Edited ]

Take a look at this informative thread where I broke down techniques on properly contouring and bringing dimension to the face:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Makeup/experimenting-with-new-makeup-ideas/m-p/416325#M1078

I also go over the types of finishes/products to use, but here's a quick reference for fair skin tones, if you're going to use a bronzer to contour, opt for a matte version or one with a very subtle, satin finish rather than anything with shimmer.

Try Too Faced's Milk Chocolate Bronzer as it's a lightened version of their Chocolate Soliel Bronzer. It has no red or orange undertones and it's a very balanced shade, suitable for giving warmth to the skin and playing up shadow/contour naturally.

Milk Chocolate Soleil Matte Bronzing Powder With Real Cocoa

Benefit's Hoola Boxed Powder is another matte, bronzer that also has neutral/balanced undertones:

Hoola

For a bronzer with a more satin/soft finish, I like the ones from Cargo, they even have one in their Fair category made specifically for lighter/fairer skin tones.

If you opt for powders made specifically to contour, try MUFE's Sculpting Kit in 1, which also comes with a highlighting powder.

Sculpting Kit

Smashbox has their Step-By-Step Contour Kit, but Sephora has discontinued it, but you can still find it online.

To prevent giving your face just highlighted/contoured look, warm it up and perk it up with a natural flush of color from a blush like Too Faced's Sweethearts Flush Blush.

Sweethearts Perfect Flush Blush

I started a thread not long ago that went over this blush, so there are swatches and photos of it on (search a couple of pages back or just go to my profile and view the swatch photos).

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Off-Topic/Something-new-you-re-wanting-to-try/m-p/428267#M10642

Bombshell88

The one from Benefit looks really nice and I think the MUFE sculpting kit would be an excellent choice for me. Thank you for posting the tutorial! It is super helpful :smileyhappy: Also, thank you for the advice about the blush. I was actually thinking of picking up the Two Faced blush the other day lol Btw, that blush looks gorgeous on you in those photos from the link!

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Thanks, hun! :smileyhappy:

I hope you find products that work for you, that's where the fun lies, getting to pick and choose between all the options!

If you're a chocolate fan, just know the TF bronzer smells like chocolate, yum!!! The scent doesn't linger on skin though, just in the compact. Fun tidbit!

Pair that with the TF blush and it's like Valentine's Day on your cheeks!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 14 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • silverandgold
    • lylysa
    • ChicDabbler
    • queenofcouture
    • Bombshell88